The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Quite true, regardless of who is to blame, as far as fighting the virus, the focus now has to be stopping it. and we can do that, but it's going to be very expensive in direct costs and I don't even know how many economies being driven to ruin.

But blame does come into play later on.
    First, if it is proven that this did come from China, China ought to be liable for the financial costs borne by every other nation on the planet.
    Second, We, and the rest of the world ought to re-evaluate our business relationships with China. In plain English, they should be painted as lepers. No other nation on Earth should continue to do business with them. Period.

But I would be willing to bet the farm that our leaders aren't smart enough to do that.

And if it is proven to be a deliberate release.....
    china should defi be held financially accountable for this. even if it was not manufactured-which i don't believe it was. most weaponized bio agents are made to be fast acting. The idea of bio warfare s to kill or sicken quick with a short life for the weapon as to not deny the territory to your own forces

also, all nations should look hard at pulling most of their manufacturing out of china. even if this never got out of china,our supply stream of everything would still have been affected by the chinese shut down of factories

but they did fail to stop it from leaving their country, and now they are making money from the crisis

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I'm skeptical. This sounds like the same insanity that the anti-malaria drug protects from coronavirus
      few things

1st--this crisis is a literally twisted blessing for ppl like PhD students in several areas. So, I am sure the longer this goes on without a cure/vaccine, there will be more and more studies like these. You got to publish to earn a PhD and the more original your research the better

2nd-- we may never know for certain just what elements of nature-like a TB vaccine, or blood type or old medications, may have on fighting another element of nature

but i think its better to look at all possibilities-short of witchcraft-- in the process

and hey, if these things are even partially true---
      for me-- O type blood-- have had numerous TB vaccines in the army--i live and have lived for awhile, in a very lowly populated area with great fresh air

toes crossed

Comment

First, a cashless society would not be a benefit to everyone, For many, it would be a great hindrance or outright unworkable. In order to have it, all transactions would be registered with a central authority and recorded. How would governments and others be allowed to access and use this information? And what about governments and other entities using the information for purposes they aren't supposed to?
        Governments simply cannot be trusted to be able to track every transaction between citizens.

Second, how would it alleviate poverty? It's not going to magically put more money in people's accounts. And don't you think all of these people that will now be required to open bank accounts will won't be charged for them? And of course, there will be fees and charges levied on merchants too, and that will be passed to the consumer via increased prices? How do you expect new tracking services to not have costs?
        i agree! and what if the electric goes out for any extended period of time?

in the US and other places, our electric is delivered to us on wires strung out from one dead tree to the other,,, how 21st century

our utilities infrastructure has to be addressed before we go so modern so fast

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post

regarding UVC rays...

My hubby was looking into getting a UV light to sterilize his masks, but new deliveries weren't coming until JUNE...!
          what about other sources of UV light? like a SADS lamp or the UV lamps in pool or fish pond filters? if uv does work, would those be strong enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Covid-19 would eat that bacteria alive... nom nom nom...

There is such a thing as a phage but it's viruses vs bacteria and not the other way around, or even virus against virus.
            well..actually, i found this today.

not exactly a 'viral phage' eating (and i only used that word as shorthand) another virus like covid19, but it seems that it has been shown that by using viral phage capsids (the molecular "shell" of a phage virus as i read it) they can be used to fill in receptors in the body before the target virus gets to it

--something like that-- read it yourself!!

Given the current global viral pandemic, it wouldn’t be difficult for most to think of viruses in only a negative context. However, over the past several years, a slew of researchers and data has come to light on the benefits of using phage viruses as therapeutic options. Now, a team of investigators led by scientists at the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut for Molecular Pharmacology (FMP) and Humboldt University (HU) has found a new use for phage in the fight against seasonal influenza and avian flu. The researchers developed a chemically modified phage capsid that “stifles” influenza viruses. Perfectly fitting binding sites cause influenza viruses to be enveloped by the phage capsids in such a way that it is practically impossible for them to infect lung cells any longer. This phenomenon has been proven in preclinical trials using human lung tissue and is being used for the immediate investigation of coronavirus infections.
            https://www.genengnews.com/news/infl...nanoparticles/

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
              china should defi be held financially accountable for this. even if it was not manufactured-which i don't believe it was. most weaponized bio agents are made to be fast acting. The idea of bio warfare s to kill or sicken quick with a short life for the weapon as to not deny the territory to your own forces
              Not if your goal is to wound or destabilize ythe target, rather than killing it. China knows damned well that if our market goes away completely, their own economy is screwed. But I can certainly see advantages for them & other actors to weaken the US economy. This virus seems to be designed to spread as wide as possible, not to be as fatal as possible.

also, all nations should look hard at pulling most of their manufacturing out of china. even if this never got out of china,our supply stream of everything would still have been affected by the chinese shut down of factories
              Absolutely, but as I said, the leaders of most countries are too addled to tell their business interests to give up on the cheap manufacturing

Comment

sigh, again.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Absolutely, but as I said, the leaders of most countries are too addled to tell their business interests to give up on the cheap manufacturing
                  perhaps..nonetheless, it has started

Japan will devote more than $2.2 billion of its coronavirus economic stimulus package to incentivize its manufacturers to move their production out of China as relations fray between the neighboring countries in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The record stimulus plan provides $2 billion for manufacturers to transfer production to Japan and over $216 million to help companies move production to other countries. Imports from China, Japan’s biggest trading partner, were down by nearly 50 percent in February as facilities in China closed while the coronavirus ripped through the country.
                  https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...-out-of-china/

Comment

Not if your goal is to wound or destabilize ythe target, rather than killing it. China knows damned well that if our market goes away completely, their own economy is screwed. But I can certainly see advantages for them & other actors to weaken the US economy. This virus seems to be designed to spread as wide as possible, not to be as fatal as possible.

to your original statement that this may be a weapon-

if you mean one for strategic purposes, like destabilizing economies, then maybe

but as a weapon for actual war, its a ****ty choice. even if an entire army were infected with this, only a small portion would be ineffective, the rest could function in their roles

i think it is just what it seems to be, a result of people keeping animals in tight unsanitary conditions. animals from all over the world, sharing space and allowing for crossover of contagion

its a disgusting and highly unsanitary practice, one that should have no place in one of the wealthiest nations and one whose govt strives to show only its modern side and must be very embarrassed for the world to know that its people still utilize markets like this not to mention the practice of eating any and everything

apparently in china, the more exotic an animal you cook and serve to your guests, the higher esteem you will be seen in

and so much of it is controlled by international gangs throughout south asia and china

Comment

The more we come to know about this, the more I'm convinced that this is a designed virus, intended for use as a weapon. It is incredibly long lived on surfaces, has a long incubation period where it can be spread to others before symptoms show, if they show. And now we learn it can survive near boiling temperatures. How rare is that?
                      For the corona virus family tree -- not rare at all.
                      It's a general virus/bacteria trait which is not as rare as one might think --> Thermal Adaptation of Viruses and Bacteria, or Virus survival in the environment

Also, and this probably doesn't come as a surprise to many of us/you -- the common cold is a corona virus family member.

Whatever.. The website I got the original info from was stating "the Beast" was affectionately nicknamed as such between the employees, themselves... thus, not well known. So, the person who mentioned it probably had an *inside* source...
                      I did a google search and the first 15 results were all conspiracy-trading websites and forums. Excuse me when I say as a Belgian, there's no such thing as "The Beast". There's a brENIAC and a chatbot named Strongbot Cas.

ummm. Scotty on Star Trek (Tv / film series).
                      I vaguely remembering him liking some machinery to a beast.

And I just remember -- don't they refer to the presidential car as "The Beast"?

...STOP the blankity blank thing.
                      It can't be stopped for now, but we can slow it and control it.

but i think its better to look at all possibilities-short of witchcraft-- in the process
                      Why not witchcraft? Herbs have healing properties -- ask any herbologist or pagan witch.

My granny knew her way around the herbs and their healing properties.

Sidenote: I've been reading the phage-science. Fascinating stuff.

what about other sources of UV light? like a SADS lamp or the UV lamps in pool or fish pond filters? if uv does work, would those be strong enough?
                      UV-light causes irritation of the skin, and has been mythbunked by the WHO.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

to your original statement that this may be a weapon-

if you mean one for strategic purposes, like destabilizing economies, then maybe

but as a weapon for actual war, its a ****ty choice. even if an entire army were infected with this, only a small portion would be ineffective, the rest could function in their roles

i think it is just what it seems to be, a result of people keeping animals in tight unsanitary conditions. animals from all over the world, sharing space and allowing for crossover of contagion

its a disgusting and highly unsanitary practice, one that should have no place in one of the wealthiest nations and one whose govt strives to show only its modern side and must be very embarrassed for the world to know that its people still utilize markets like this not to mention the practice of eating any and everything

apparently in china, the more exotic an animal you cook and serve to your guests, the higher esteem you will be seen in

and so much of it is controlled by international gangs throughout south asia and china

Our governments and media don't tell us the full truth, often we hear nothing about what is really going on. This is not a statement about the media's relationship with the current occupant of the White House, it has gone on for many decades.

Given that, you have to figure out what is going on with little or no information. One tool I use to do that is to ask "Who benefits financially, politically or otherwise?"

That question can often lead you to surprising results.

Comment

The only way that problem will ever go away is if the merchant or company that takes the fraudulent card is responsible for the loss; it comes out of their hide, rather than the CC company or the end consumers pocket. If the merchant is on the hook for it, he will take better care to verify the identity of the card presenter.
                          Along with that, any company whose database is breeched should be responsible for making whole ANY person who suffers a loss that could have been caused by that breech. Same idea. Make it hurt, and hurt bad. That is the only way that companies will exercise proper security for customer data.
                          That is, I think, the key. As long as App A (mcdonalds, walgreens, subway, etc) are not responsible for the chaos caused by their data breaches security will never be tightened up. As long as they get away with ‘Eh, we’ll offer you a year’s credit monitoring, so sorry’ then they will never take security seriously.

Once they are responsible then I may consider using in app payments. But as long as the app developers get away Scott free (beyond maybe a little bad press) they have no real motivation to take security seriously. One thing I learned a long time ago is to get something fixed you quite often have to make it someone else’s problem. If a data breach is their fault then they will be motivated to take security seriously when it is very literally costing them more money than they saved by using cheap security.

Right now they save more money than any bad PR will cost them so they have no motivation to do better.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i was responding the OP on UV light and talk of mask sanitizing and their having to wait on an order? not tanning

and if that was the question-sanitization by UV- then could other UV ligth sources be used--such as a SADD lamp or water purifier lamp?

Comment

93478752_10207785239506205_3193996981366161408_n.jpg

This hospital has the right approach.. these are not military masks but similar.

Any healthcare systems that are using this kind of "hard" mask is going to have superior protection and ability to be decontaminated over and over

and there are probably millions of them in govt dept of defense stockpiles

but no one would make any money off of that like they are with disposable paper masks--OH WAIT that would too cynical a thing to say

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                That is, I think, the key. As long as App A (mcdonalds, walgreens, subway, etc) are not responsible for the chaos caused by their data breaches security will never be tightened up. As long as they get away with ‘Eh, we’ll offer you a year’s credit monitoring, so sorry’ then they will never take security seriously.

Once they are responsible then I may consider using in app payments. But as long as the app developers get away Scott free (beyond maybe a little bad press) they have no real motivation to take security seriously. One thing I learned a long time ago is to get something fixed you quite often have to make it someone else’s problem. If a data breach is their fault then they will be motivated to take security seriously when it is very literally costing them more money than they saved by using cheap security.

Right now they save more money than any bad PR will cost them so they have no motivation to do better.
                                It goes much farther than apps for phones, which I also refuse to install, I don't care whose it is or what kind of discounts they offer in exchange for the ability to spy on me. If they want to offer discounts, send out paper coupons in junk mail.

What about companies like Experian, which is one of the big 3 credit reporting operations in the US (and possibly more). They had a crapload of customer data compromised. And this includes people who had no direct dealings with that company. They, and any other company that suffers a breech ought to be automatically held liable for any loss possibly caused by that breech. I don't care if it's a little mom & pop store, or the biggest corporation on the face of the earth. If your carelessness causes harm to someone, they're liable for it. This generally applies in other arenas, such as customer slip/fall on wet store floors, etc.. why not in the financial world?

Ever notice how many stores are still running Windows XP on their P.O.S. terminals? How many companies let their useless deadwood take laptops with customer data on them home, where they are far more susceptible to being stolen, hacked or whatever?
                                Last edited by Annoyed; 21 April 2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X