• Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars do not need wifi
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Thumbs up!

Not according to our wonderful law. My downloading is for personal use and not distribution, which is legal under the law.
      US law varies on that; here piracy itself is verboten , regardless of whether it's for financial gain or personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        cars do not need wifi
        I can see it being useful. But we have to find a way to prevent the driver from using it. Short of a technical sledghammer, like the car blocking the signal if the engine is running, I'm at a loss of how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Technically it still counts... Heck i knew a guy who got busted for it when i was in Norfolk at a CB field exercise (was in the base news paper), and all he did was download movies, Watch them then delete them and write out a list of which he was gonna buy during the sales.. Didn't keep a single one.. BUT he was still done for it.. (lost a stripe and got a OTA discharge iirc)..
          "OTA"? would that be a dishonourable discharge?

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          US law varies on that; here piracy itself is verboten , regardless of whether it's for financial gain or personal use.
          lemme guess this doesn't apply equally to everyone does it

Comment

Nearly Half of Americans Pirate Casually, But Pirates Purchase More Legal Content

A study performed in the US and Germany

From the article:

"...the study points out that most people in the U.S. believe private copying is legal, when in fact it carries severe criminal penalties under current, mostly unenforced, laws."
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I can see it being useful. But we have to find a way to prevent the driver from using it.
              No, you need to prevent the driver from being distracted by it.

I actually saw a guy yesterday taking a selfie with his iphone as he was riding his bike in a busy street among trucks and vans that could squash him if he swerved an inch too far to the right or to the left.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

All will be chipped!!
                Possibly. But it'd be entirely too much hassle to keep up with chip technology. Imagine having surgery every few years just to upgrade for interfacing with new-generation terminals.

I think the universal ID will be a number or a letter/number code, probably associated with biometrics. (Remember "The Prisoner"? "I am not a number!"). It'll be your ID, your social security number, your phone number, your email address, your bank account/credit card number etc. It's all getting integrated and tied to mobile phones or other wearable devices, in the exact same way as mobile phones have gradually absorbed the functionality of point-and-shoot cameras, video cameras, computers, GPS navigators etc.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Thumbs up!
                  Quick.. Alert the presses.. I got a major cudos from FH!?!!

Not according to our wonderful law. My downloading is for personal use and not distribution, which is legal under the law.
                  True, what one country says is ok another says is not...

cars do not need wifi
                  I agree. Tell that though, to the masses of car makers, who seems to thin the more computerized/connected a car is, the better.

I can see it being useful. But we have to find a way to prevent the driver from using it. Short of a technical sledghammer, like the car blocking the signal if the engine is running, I'm at a loss of how to do that.
                  Or a Jammer that kicks in when the Transmission is running...

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  "OTA"? would that be a dishonourable discharge?
                  General under 'other than honorable' conditions..
                  And it should have been OTH, not ota...

"...the study points out that most people in the U.S. believe private copying is legal, when in fact it carries severe criminal penalties under current, mostly unenforced, laws."
                  And that's the kicker.. It IS mostly unenforced.. In which case they might as well do away WITH that law, if they are not going to bother doing anything about the Thousands upon thousands of people breaking it..

Comment

Well, isn't the FBI involved, or was involved in bringing down Kim Dot Com? Or the Piratebay owners?
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You've answered the question yourself. A block so that when the engine is running there is no wifi and no distractions for the driver. You don't need bloody wifi in a car.

And cars can get hacked now because of that. It's happened google it.

The more connected things get the easier it will be to hack everything for the bad guys/girls.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Another problem is the marketing folks. Terms like WiFi, Wireless & and such are popular with the public nowadays so the idiots in marketing insist that the cars have some way to hang those buzzwords on them.

Comment

Another problem is the marketing folks. Terms like WiFi, Wireless & and such are popular with the public nowadays so the idiots in marketing insist that the cars have some way to hang those buzzwords on them.
                          It's not the buzzwords, it's the sheer convenience. It's being able to shut your kids up by letting them watch Netflix on their iPad as you drive. It's being a road warrior and using your laptop on the move. It's being able to start up the air conditioner in your car from a phone app on a very hot day 10-15 minutes before you actually get out of your house and into your car. It's being able to use fingerprint authorization and two-factor identification instead of your car keys. It's integration with parking search&payment apps instead of driving around looking for a parking place and then looking for change to feed the parking meter. There's a lot of added value to a connected car.

Comment

Well, isn't the FBI involved, or was involved in bringing down Kim Dot Com? Or the Piratebay owners?
                            I am not sure if it was the FBI or the EU cops (can't remember their name right now) for piratebay..

You've answered the question yourself. A block so that when the engine is running there is no wifi and no distractions for the driver. You don't need bloody wifi in a car.

And cars can get hacked now because of that. It's happened google it.

The more connected things get the easier it will be to hack everything for the bad guys/girls.
                            Which is one reason i can't understand WHY they are so gung ho to make damn near every new car MORE and MORE computerized (along with homes)... You would think with all the hacking we see these days, they would want them to be LESS computerized..

Comment

Which is one reason i can't understand WHY they are so gung ho to make damn near every new car MORE and MORE computerized (along with homes)... You would think with all the hacking we see these days, they would want them to be LESS computerized..
                              Particularly when you ask someone who wants all this nonsense how it works, and all you get is a blank stare.
                              It's just like when wireless laptops/etc. came upon the scene. Nobody wanted to spend the time learning how it works, how to secure the connection and such, so half the homes in this country had wide open wireless networks. A great opportunity for thieves of all stripes.

Comment

Yeah, buzzwords like Server and Homebrew.................
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X