This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    If the family wants to be together they can. In their country of origin. This process of chain migration must be stopped. One person here legally (citizenship required?) grants access to 1,272,326 long lost relatives, third cousins twice removed and all of that. As I understand it, Trump's plan does allow the immediate family. Again, that's a compromise, neither side gets exactly what they want.

As a sidebar, I'm surprised that he put forth a plan which is a fair compromise at all. After all. it's quite possible the Republicans could have found a way to do their plan w/out Democratic help. And he was supposedly quite civilized in Davos. Maybe someone has got a leash on him?
    That number tells me that you don't understand how family based visas work. Why? Because even taking into account that it is hyperbolic, it still is too big. It takes years for a new citizen (has to be a citizen and not a minor) to even get a notice of the potential of a visa interview for their relative, and most of them are close relatives, and the interview is just step one to determine if further consideration should be given, if so then begins the long process of background checks. Siblings, In-laws, parents, and spouses, that's who has priority and makes up the bulk of these sponsorships. It doesn't do much for cousins, nephews, uncles and so on. And even if one where to try to sponsor those relatives it would be well over a decade before they even tell you that they consider considering the consideration for a visa interview in a few years...

It's simply another attack on legal immigration. Illegal immigrants, btw, do not qualify for such visas. They have to leave the country before the paperwork can even be considered for consideration. Essentially, they'd go to the back of the line. What Trump wants to do is to limit, curtail, and if possible virtually eliminate legal immigration.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

What is this? A Country club or a prison?

https://www.wkbw.com/news/state-news...t-free-tablets

I don't care if the taxpayers have to pick up the tab or not, it's a prison. It's punishment. Why the hell does this state want to make it a country club?

And how long before someone decides they should have internet access too?

Comment

I don't care if the taxpayers have to pick up the tab or not, it's a prison. It's punishment. Why the hell does this state want to make it a country club?

the fact that in this s hole the most trivial thing can send a commoner to jail helps put things in perspective: many are being wrongfully punished even if they are "guilty"

Comment

No more gird girls.

Or goils if you have a New York accent haha.....

That's it no more..... Grid Girls are no more.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...-races/9381902

This has probably been brewing for a while so they finally decided to make it policy.
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            No more gird girls.

This has probably been brewing for a while so they finally decided to make it policy.
            I've been stewing over this most of the day.
            On one hand, it -is- sexist selling techniques, something to draw the eye and no more.
            On the other hand, some of these girls have gone on to be models, or used the social network of racing to get better jobs where their mental talents can be appreciated as well, so the job has served them well.

Which is the lesser of two evils here? Exploitation by others for them, or exploitation by yourself -for- yourself?
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Because these are people like you and I who have rights all the same. Yes, they were jailed for crimes committed and are appropriately punished (harshness of punishment another debate) by being confined to one place for x-months to x-years. They are not part of society, and contribute little to it from behind those walls.

But the more they can be entertained, the less likely they'll riot... n'est-ce-pas

The Department of Corrections and Community Supervision says Wednesday that the approximately 51,000 inmates in 54 prisons will be eligible to receive one of the portable personal computers being provided to the state by Miami-based JPay Inc. at no cost to taxpayers.

DOCCS officials say the tablets will come preloaded with educational material. The devices won't be able to access the internet, but tablets can be used to purchase music, e-books and videos from JPay through an electronic account system being set up.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Because these are people like you and I who have rights all the same. Yes, they were jailed for crimes committed and are appropriately punished (harshness of punishment another debate) by being confined to one place for x-months to x-years. They are not part of society, and contribute little to it from behind those walls.
                Sorry, when you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison, you lose some of those rights at least for the duration of your sentence. Prison is supposed to be punishment as an incentive not to commit crimes.

But the more they can be entertained, the less likely they'll riot... n'est-ce-pas
                They should not be entertained. If they have excess energy that needs to be spent in order to prevent riots, breaking rocks or other hard physical labor works just fine. If they're too tired, they won't riot.

The Department of Corrections and Community Supervision says Wednesday that the approximately 51,000 inmates in 54 prisons will be eligible to receive one of the portable personal computers being provided to the state by Miami-based JPay Inc. at no cost to taxpayers.

DOCCS officials say the tablets will come preloaded with educational material. The devices won't be able to access the internet, but tablets can be used to purchase music, e-books and videos from JPay through an electronic account system being set up.
                As I said, how long before some do-gooder group successfully lobbies for internet access?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  I've been stewing over this most of the day.
                  On one hand, it -is- sexist selling techniques, something to draw the eye and no more.
                  On the other hand, some of these girls have gone on to be models, or used the social network of racing to get better jobs where their mental talents can be appreciated as well, so the job has served them well.

Which is the lesser of two evils here? Exploitation by others for them, or exploitation by yourself -for- yourself?
                  I'm on very good terms with a few women who do this as part of their living and most of their friends and themselves are livid with this decision.

The actual women involved were never consulted and feel that this decision was made for them. Most of the women I know who do promo modeling have good careers out of doing this kind of thing as well as regular modeling contracts. So yeah it would have been nice had they been consulted.

Comment

Sorry, when you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison, you lose some of those rights at least for the duration of your sentence. Prison is supposed to be punishment as an incentive not to commit crimes.
                    Yes, because why should they be given the opportunity to make something of their lives when they are released, right. Repeat-offenders notwithstanding, a good knowledge or education might actually give them a shot to make something of their lives afterwards, and contribute to society.

But what do you care, hey... you, who likes those dead beats, those leechers so much.

Comment

Yes, because why should they be given the opportunity to make something of their lives when they are released, right. Repeat-offenders notwithstanding, a good knowledge or education might actually give them a shot to make something of their lives afterwards, and contribute to society.

But what do you care, hey... you, who likes those dead beats, those leechers so much.
                      Our criminal justice system is really very forgiving. Depending upon the severity of the offense, very few 1st time offenders see the inside of a prison. In most cases, by the time someone is sentenced to a prison term, they have already been given several chances.

And while the idea of rehabilitation is worthy, and looks good on paper, in real life, it doesn't work so well.

The more valuable aspect to prison sentences is punishment. If someone is considering breaking the law, the fear of such punishment should certainly be used to dissuade them from committing the crime.

Turning prisons into country clubs, with cable TV, recreational gyms and whatnot, and now tablets (and don't tell me they have no internet; how else could they buy e-books and such? ) isn't going to be as effective at scaring someone straight as say, 5 years hard labor would be.
                      Prison should be a miserable, undesirable life. It should be something to be avoided.

Comment

No more gird girls.

Never really understood the whole thing. I don't see models advertising fruit at the supermarket, or models advertising at the bus station. Yet for sports it was pretty much mandatory?

In a time where F1 has to prove it's added value, it's good that they think harder about their core business.

Our criminal justice system is really very forgiving.
                        Around 1% of Americans are incarcerated. This puts you in similar waters as, say South Africa. Many developed countries have way, way lower numbers and aren't crime-riddled hellholes. Seems to me that your justice system isn't that forgiving at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Never really understood the whole thing. I don't see models advertising fruit at the supermarket, or models advertising at the bus station. Yet for sports it was pretty much mandatory?

In a time where F1 has to prove it's added value, it's good that they think harder about their core business.
                          Fair enough.... But then where do you draw the line?

Should we ban fashion models next or cheerleaders?

American Football wouldn't be the same.

Comment

Our criminal justice system is really very forgiving. Depending upon the severity of the offense, very few 1st time offenders see the inside of a prison. In most cases, by the time someone is sentenced to a prison term, they have already been given several chances.
                            No, your criminal justice system is biased, not forgiving.

I mean, just look at that Brock Turner dude -- never even saw the inside of a prison.
                            Yet, a similar case with the accused being a Latino, sentenced him to X-amount of years in prison.

Your justice system locks people up for the smallest offences -- it's anything but fair.

The unhealthy-looking skinny ones -- yes, immediately.

The life of fashion models may look glamerous, but boy... it's hard work.

Or your ... what's that league called.. the one where half naked women play american football... And gosh, men are such woosies if you see how little those women wear.

Comment

Fair enough.... But then where do you draw the line?

Actually, cheerleaders or the lack thereof would make little difference to me in any sport.

But there is an aspect to this that I've wondered about. Cheerleaders are almost always what I would describe as "hotties", very attractive women. Nearly ideal figures and such.

You can't tell me that women who don't fit this description also want to be cheerleaders. Simple numbers tell me that there have to be some. Why havn't there been any lawsuits and such regarding this? The airlines and their stewardesses went though this same deal decades ago, and the weight and appearance requirements went away. Why havn't we seen the same sort of thing for cheerleaders?

Comment

But there is an aspect to this that I've wondered about. Cheerleaders are almost always what I would describe as "hotties", very attractive women. Nearly ideal figures and such.
                                Probably because they are fit as hell to do whatever it is they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X