This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    People seem to place a higher priority on phone conversations than on real ones.
    I know but both are equally dangerous for driving right?

Comment

In France it's no longer permitted to eat or drink while driving. You need to wear proper attire, and proper shoes.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
        Something does need to be done about distracted driving, but that was a problem well before smartphones.
        True dat. When i was learning to drive in 89-90, i was shocked at the # of times someone was distracted and nearly hit me, cause they were
        A) putting on make up
        B) using an electric rasor to shave (YES had this happen several times),
        C) had their head turned to the back seats to chastize a kid(s)

In France it's no longer permitted to eat or drink while driving. You need to wear proper attire, and proper shoes.
        IIRC a few years back i remember hearing about one county politician wanting to implement something similar, after hearing of his neighbor getting ran over by a car cause the driver had dropped his whopper and had taken his eyes off the road, to pick it up..

Now for other news.. Supposedly this was on the TV news a few weeks back, but if so, i can't remember it..

http://www.carbonated.tv/news/us-sol...-abuse-of-boys

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2015/...an-pedophilia/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/wo...e-of-boys.html

http://time.com/4045742/nato-afghani...-sexual-abuse/

Now the latter link says "Nato claims its troops were not ordered to ignore the abuse, but it sure seems that way from the first 3 links..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          True dat. When i was learning to drive in 89-90, i was shocked at the # of times someone was distracted and nearly hit me, cause they were
          A) putting on make up
          B) using an electric rasor to shave (YES had this happen several times),
          C) had their head turned to the back seats to chastize a kid(s)

IIRC a few years back i remember hearing about one county politician wanting to implement something similar, after hearing of his neighbor getting ran over by a car cause the driver had dropped his whopper and had taken his eyes off the road, to pick it up..
          Well, the skill level required to get a license in the U.S. is a joke, and has been since at least the early 70's when I "officially" learned to drive. In reality, I've been driving wheeled vehicles since I was about 5 years old, so bye the time I was 16 it was old hat for me.
          Getting a license was ridiculously easy. Study the driver's manual, and go take your road test, which consisted of driving around the block without forgetting your turn signals and parallel park in the same spot after 1 lap. Even one of Google's automated cars could pass this.

If we really want to improve highway safety, we ought to revamp the entire licensing process.

Oh. look, they are. Some states are considering dumbing it down even further!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ests/27671165/

:facepalm:

Comment

Aren't all the cars in the US automatic? The car is already doing most of the work for you so the test should reflect that

Comment

Its because we drive on the right side of the road
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, the skill level required to get a license in the U.S. is a joke, and has been since at least the early 70's when I "officially" learned to drive.
                I agree with this! I failed the road test in Canada....so when I moved to the US, I thought that I'd get my license there. My test consisted of a written test--that combined with my learners permit from Canada equalled me getting my regular license. And then, when I moved back to Canada, I was able to transfer my US license up here. So I never actually PASSED a road test.
                Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

Well, the skill level required to get a license in the U.S. is a joke, and has been since at least the early 70's when I "officially" learned to drive. In reality, I've been driving wheeled vehicles since I was about 5 years old, so bye the time I was 16 it was old hat for me.
                  Getting a license was ridiculously easy. Study the driver's manual, and go take your road test, which consisted of driving around the block without forgetting your turn signals and parallel park in the same spot after 1 lap. Even one of Google's automated cars could pass this.

If we really want to improve highway safety, we ought to revamp the entire licensing process.

Oh. look, they are. Some states are considering dumbing it down even further!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ests/27671165/

:facepalm:
                  Personally i think the practical test should be comprised of 3 parts. City street driving (day one, 1 to 2 hrs worth), City to highway driving (day 2, 1 to 2 hrs worth), and emergency driving (reacting to different situations, day 3, 2 hrs worth minimum)..
                  But thats me.

Comment

Personally i think the practical test should be comprised of 3 parts. City street driving (day one, 1 to 2 hrs worth), City to highway driving (day 2, 1 to 2 hrs worth), and emergency driving (reacting to different situations, day 3, 2 hrs worth minimum)..
                    But thats me.
                    I could think of at least one other thing that should have at least a 6 hour minimum training time...........
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Meaghan View Post
                      So I never actually PASSED a road test.
                      That's a scary thought.

Comment

Well, as expected, the new Bond song - "Writing's On the Wall" by Sam Smith - was bloody awful.

"Wail, moan, mumble, mumble, moan, wail".

Will someone, for the luvva God, send Sam Smith to elocution lessons?
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

But thats me.
                          That is exactly what I'm referring to. They need to an a persons ability to handle a sudden emergency, such as a skid, sudden obstruction or other situations. Test the ability to get out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I could think of at least one other thing that should have at least a 6 hour minimum training time...........
                            I know I'm gonna regret this... but what would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Meaghan View Post
                              I agree with this! I failed the road test in Canada....so when I moved to the US, I thought that I'd get my license there. My test consisted of a written test--that combined with my learners permit from Canada equalled me getting my regular license. And then, when I moved back to Canada, I was able to transfer my US license up here. So I never actually PASSED a road test.
                              *makes a note to himself to avoid Meaghan like the plague on the roadways*

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                *makes a note to himself to avoid Meaghan like the plague on the roadways*
                                What he said...

Good thing, we're on two different continents and there's a very large body of water between us.

Comment

Working...
                                X