• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its hardly the first time Annoyed has been wrong or misinformed have
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Re read it, cause that's not what he said.
      This is what I'm referring to, from the article I linked:

A Democratic bill in the Senate and Assembly to make all people pardoned by a president subject to state prosecution was introduced in April, but they haven’t moved out of their initial committees since then. The Senate bill doesn’t have a sponsor in the chamber’s Republican majority, which would be required to advance it. The Republican majority didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.
      Since this is not yet law, attempting to apply it to anything that has already happened would constitute ex post facto legislation.

Might be able to use it against someone else in the future, but they couldn't use it regarding any offenses that have already taken place.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Since this is not yet law, attempting to apply it to anything that has already happened would constitute ex post facto legislation.

Might be able to use it against someone else in the future, but they couldn't use it regarding any offenses that have already taken place.
        But no one is saying that...Wait...didn't we already point this out?

You are essentially making up an argument and intent that no one has expressed and then debating that nonexistent argument/intent.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Ungh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/n...r-pardons.html
          This is outdated; Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman has since been ousted from office over a sex scandal. But it gets the point across.

Although I can't find it atm, (no human can keep up with the torrent of BS coming from a deep blue state) Cuomo has also been quoted in media the past week that he wants the state to come up with some way to charge anyone Trump pardons. He's just like a little tiny dog who has a bite on someone's pants and won't let go. He just doesn't know he can't do anything.

April 18, 2018

Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman of New York is moving to change New York state law so that he and other local prosecutors would have the power to bring criminal charges against aides to President Trump who have been pardoned, according to a letter Mr. Schneiderman sent to the governor and state lawmakers on Wednesday.

The move, if approved by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and the Legislature, would serve notice that the legal troubles of the president and his aides may continue without the efforts of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel investigating possible Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Under the plan, Mr. Schneiderman, a Democrat, seeks to exempt New York’s double jeopardy law from cases involving presidential pardons, according to the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times. The current law and the concept of double jeopardy in general mean that a person cannot be tried for the same crime twice.

Comment

More words, your basic understanding is still flawed.
            NYS wants to enact legislation preventing the pardoning of a federal crime impacting state legislation. Normally, that would be a given as it is in fact the state can, and the fed can run separate, yet similar cases, just not for the same exact crime (double jeopardy).
            However, nothing is a "given" these days as your norms have been tossed out the window.
            NYS is asking for a condom, nothing more.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Actually, it IS the freaking law.
              It's the same states rights arguments that you have used for forever, that the fed cannot stop the state from doing what it's law allows.
              It's the same argument you want to use to stop "sanctuary cities", the fed can go in then, in violation of state law.
              You want the law to be what you want it to be, not what it SHOULD be, no wonder you salivate ofver a right leaning scotus that you will be long dead to even enjoy. One last middle finger to the people you don't like I guess.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Actually, it IS the freaking law.
                It's the same states rights arguments that you have used for forever, that the fed cannot stop the state from doing what it's law allows.
                It's the same argument you want to use to stop "sanctuary cities", the fed can go in then, in violation of state law.
                You want the law to be what you want it to be, not what it SHOULD be, no wonder you salivate ofver a right leaning scotus that you will be long dead to even enjoy. One last middle finger to the people you don't like I guess.
                You're still not getting it. Cuomo told the NY legislature to pass some sort of new law to allow state prosecution in the event that Trump Pardons Manafort or Cohen.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...-pardon-2018-4

The New York attorney general, Eric Schneiderman, wants to amend the state's law to allow for the prosecution of people who have been pardoned by the president in federal investigations.

Currently, New York law has a "double jeopardy" clause which protects people from being tried for the same crimes more than once.

In other words, if someone is pardoned for a federal crime — like conspiracy, money laundering, or obstruction of justice — they cannot be tried for the same crime on a state level.

While it's unclear if Schneiderman's proposal will withstand legislative scrutiny, "given the situation staring at everyone with respect to Mueller's investigation and the real possibility of pardons, this is not a totally theoretical discussion," said one former federal prosecutor.
                This clearly violates the constitution prohibition against ex post facto legislation. You can't change the laws after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  the silence of the #metoo movement on this one is deafening
                  Must have not been looking where you were looking cause I saw anything but silence on the boy's/man's case.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Must have not been looking where you were looking cause I saw anything but silence on the boy's/man's case.
                    I was looking down (and SMH @ the reaction of the metooters - or relative lack thereof)
                    and you?

Comment

Be gentle.

Rose McGowan said we should all be gentle in regards to the allegations against Asia Argento
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

There has not been a lot of press about this compared to that allocated to other (male) offenders.

Seems that in the eyes of the media, the seriousness of the offense depends upon who the offender is. Nothing like unbiased reporting, eh?

Comment

Men getting sexually harassed? Come on. You should know that crap doesn't sell on TV.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...85d_story.html

Can't the Democrats at least maintain their dignity? They have to know that they can't stop Kavanaugh. Why embarrass themselves like this?

Comment

Why did the administration wait so long to give the judiciary committee the relevant documents?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...85d_story.html

Can't the Democrats at least maintain their dignity? They have to know that they can't stop Kavanaugh. Why embarrass themselves like this?
                                yeah man maintain dignity - in fact King Don sets the example so how about doing some real violence Charlotteville KKK tiki torch style?

(ironically the Supreme Deep State I mean Supreme Court could give the Democrats grounds to embrace the 2nd amendment more than ever now)

hopefully this will lead s***tons of states to secede from the US(SR)

Comment

Working...
                                X