This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Could be worse, she could be facing her execution.

She stabbed her husband as he raped her. Now a court has sentenced her to death.

Noura Hussein, a 19-year-old Sudanese woman has been sentenced to death for stabbing her husband to death as he raped her, a report in CNN said.

Her husband's family refused to pardon her and rejected financial compensation, saying that she should be executed instead.

The judge announced the death penalty to the 19-year-old in Omdurman on Thursday.

The case throws the spotlight on the forced marriages in Sudan where the legal age of marriage is only 10 years and marital rape is legal.
    Marriage at age 10, forced marriages and legal rape of the wife? (I bet the wife can't rape the husband)

And you thought I was a neanderthal throwback!

Comment

I'm torn whether to post this here or in the Department of Boneheadedness.

Eurovision results are in, and Israel's Netta Barzilay has won. In the course of the contest, two things happened. The usual crowd of Israel-haters attempted to prevent Netta's win by doing the BDS thing, then attempting to hack the voting. Didn't help. Now Netta is being accused of "cultural appropriation" and even racism for Japanese-themed stage look she adopted for the contest. The sheer multi-layer hilarity of it is precious, even beyond the obvious point that every single non-UK European participant is guilty of "cultural appropriation" simply for singing in English.

The supposed definition of "cultural appropriation" among the Left is members of a dominant culture "stealing" aesthetic cultural elements of an oppressed minority culture. So... when was Jewish culture ever dominant, and when was the Japanese imperial culture an oppressed minority culture? Isn't the entire concept completely absurd?
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

The target of Israel's strike against an Iranian base in Syria last month has been revealed: Iran's clone of Russia's S 300 advanced anti-aircraft missile battery. It was brought to Syria along with the Iranian clone of the American RQ 170 Sentinel stealth drone, for operational testing against Israeli aircraft. The test went as well as could have been hoped for: the battery was destroyed on the ground before it was even unpacked.

The strike a few days ago destroyed several Uragan batteries - Russian-made "Katyusha"-style mobile multiple-launch rocket systems capable of carpet-bombing targets 40 km away with 220mm missiles, 16 at a time. Out of 3 Uragans destroyed in recent days, only one had the time to fire.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

Eurovision results are in, and Israel's Netta Barzilay has won. In the course of the contest, two things happened. The usual crowd of Israel-haters attempted to prevent Netta's win by doing the BDS thing, then attempting to hack the voting. Didn't help. Now Netta is being accused of "cultural appropriation" and even racism for Japanese-themed stage look she adopted for the contest. The sheer multi-layer hilarity of it is precious, even beyond the obvious point that every single non-UK European participant is guilty of "cultural appropriation" simply for singing in English.

The supposed definition of "cultural appropriation" among the Left is members of a dominant culture "stealing" aesthetic cultural elements of an oppressed minority culture. So... when was Jewish culture ever dominant, and when was the Japanese imperial culture an oppressed minority culture? Isn't the entire concept completely absurd?
          I would have gone with boneheadedness.

First, the article you cited seemed to be mostly social networking tweets and not real news, So I looked at http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44096900

As I understand it, this is a talent competition show where hopefuls sing, dance or whatever on TV and the audience votes the winner.

It looks like the winner chose to have a little fun with it rather than take the standard advice and lose weight and play it straight, and she struck a responsive chord in the voting audience.

Kudos to her, and to the objectors, stop your whining. You sound like certain Democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
            And Israel's 70th birthday (celebration) is May 14... today is May 12... Israel is on high alert from attacks from any direction, since this particular day AND year (Jubilee) is significant to Israel.

We celebrate by the Jewish calendar. This year, Independence day was April 19.
            Thanks! Good to know that.
            Well, that also explains why some Christians (on other web discussion sites) were wondering if Israel was having a pre-celebration ahead of the (traditional?) world-view 70th rebirth-date. ...and possibly do so ahead of the date on the rest of our *confusing* time-lined calendars.

Anywho, BBC has an article (see below quote) about the US embassy move to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, Israel, being officially recognized on May 14, 2018.

"Jerusalem embassy: Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner arrive for Monday opening"
            BBC news, May 13, 2018

US President Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, have arrived in Israel ahead of the opening of the new US embassy in Jerusalem on Monday.

The couple - both senior White House advisers - will attend the ceremony. Mr Trump himself will not be there.

His decision to move operations from Tel Aviv angered Palestinians.

The plan was brought forward
            to coincide with the state of Israel's 70th anniversary.
            . . .
            It's articles like this that present the world-view image that Israel celebrates their May 14th, 1948 rebirth-day every year on this same day per the Roman calendar...
            I'm just noting what I heard/read.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
              I'm just noting what I heard/read.
              And that should teach you a thing or two about the reliability of what you read.

Israel uses the traditional Jewish calendar for public holidays, which is a lunar calendar adjusted for alignment with solar year. Our holidays move around relative to the Roman calendar within about a month' range. The holiday can also be moved a day or two if it or the preceding Memorial Day coincides with the Sabbath, because the customs for both days would amount to Sabbath desecration otherwise. Which is why Israel's Independence Day is a kind of funny holiday that is not celebrated on it's actual date (5th of Iyar) most years unless it falls on a Wednesday.

This year, Independence Day was April 19. Next year it'll be May 9, I think.

Comment

Cultural diffusion is what it is. It's one thing to take a sacred aspect of a culture and use it in an irreverent fashion, or to use it mock and stereotype. Those are just rude. But I never understood how a white guy singing rap in the US is wrong. Or a white girl wearing a Chinese traditional dress to Prom is wrong. I get trying to pass of something that someone else already came up as your own thing, but we already have words that describe that.

From what I have learned, there are two uses of the term "Cultural Appropriation". One of them is well...a ridiculous notion that "oppressed" cultures are incapable of influencing "dominant" cultures and if there ever is anything people of those "dominant" cultures do, it is obviously stealing and therefore wrong.

The other definition is misappropriating cultural aspects, in other words playing into stereotypes or misusing sacred aspects of a culture (Like Native American headdresses can be religious in nature much like the crucifix is to Roman Catholics). It certainly has nothing to do with dressing like a Chinese woman from a past century or singing a song from another country.

Take "Cinco de Mayo"...it doesn't count as appropriation since it is...kinda...largely American in nature. However playing with stereotypes is just...offensive and rude and kinda stupid. But simply wearing a serape and sombrero while drinking yourself silly after your liver has barely had a chance to recover from the last brouhaha in March...Who's actually getting offended? Then there's St. Patrick's day. And if you're Protestant, St. Valentine's Day as well. Or is that cultural diffusion with modification?

The people can be "oppressed" but the culture itself can be dominant and it's that nuance that gets missed. Just look at American culture. It would be radically different without African Americans. Dare I say that our arts wouldn't be so dominant in the world stage without that influence.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

And now Kim's intentions become clear.

Numerous reports have him saying he will not consider abandoning his nuclear programs, and will bail on the meeting if that is the demand. Since that has been the demand since day one, it seems as if he just wanted to play with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Numerous reports have him saying he will not consider abandoning his nuclear programs, and will bail on the meeting if that is the demand. Since that has been the demand since day one, it seems as if he just wanted to play with us.
                    That's a surprise to you?
                    He clearly said they would not engage in research and get rid of that facility.
                    Why do you think that is?
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

That's what ya get when you have a self-absorbed, narcissist who only cares about himself running the country.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        That's a surprise to you?
                        He clearly said they would not engage in research and get rid of that facility.
                        Why do you think that is?
                        Well, one report I heard on the radio this am was that it was a calculated attempt to make Trump look bad.

Comment

Well, one report I heard on the radio this am was that it was a calculated attempt to make Trump look bad.
                          Cause he needs the help?

Come on man, think a little more.
                          Why would a nation that has been pursuing nuclear weapons for decades decide to shut down their -research- facility?
                          sigpic

Comment

Mango Mussolini doesn't need help doing this. He seems to be able to make himself look bad just fine on his own.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              That's what ya get when you have a self-absorbed, narcissist who only cares about himself running the country.
                              Noko has -NEVER- agreed to de-nucularization, EVER.
                              The fact that people thought he (Un) would do so is a joke.
                              sigpic

Comment

? but sounds like Kim Jong has no choice his test site collapsed (hence why he could pretend to want to de-nuke when in fact he's forced to)

I wager he's just bluffing about the peace talks & the summit with King Don will still take place. wanna bet folks?

Comment

Working...
                                X