This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    The details can be worked out. But the idea is valid, and we should be doing that.
    In order to vote, you have to be or have self supporting; if you're just riding on the cart, you go where the people pulling it decide to go. If you don't like that, get off the cart and start pulling it, then you get a voice.
    Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    I have heard a few people argue that point before.. That since single folk don't have any 'vested interest' in the future cause they have no offspring for that future to matter to, their vote shouldn't count as much as those married with kids (or single with kids) should..
    Sorry, but that's just strictly undemocratic. People voted into office don't just deal with money, they also deal with...everything. All laws, and the enforcing of all laws. No one forfeits their right to equal protection just because of economic status, nor should they. Period. All I see here are arguments for the restriction of rights and a disfranchisement crusade based on insanity.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      Sorry, but that's just strictly undemocratic. People voted into office don't just deal with money, they also deal with...everything. All laws, and the enforcing of all laws. No one forfeits their right to equal protection just because of economic status, nor should they. Period. All I see here are arguments for the restriction of rights and a disfranchisement crusade based on insanity.
      No, what you see here is a group of people who are sick and damned tired of government operated for the benefit of freeloaders to the detriment of the working class citizens.

Comment

I agree with aretood on this one
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

In order to vote, you have to be or have self supporting; if you're just riding on the cart, you go where the people pulling it decide to go. If you don't like that, get off the cart and start pulling it, then you get a voice.
          it'd be funny if they go further down that slope & start scaling voting power according to the horsepower on that cart

your vote will only count as 1, that of the Monsanto CEO will count as 1000
          lol

No, what you see here is a group of people who are sick and damned tired of government operated for the benefit of freeloaders to the detriment of the working class citizens.
          interesting: no word about the elites

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            interesting: no word about the elites
            Look, all you need is a small loan of a million dollars, and you can do anything.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You simply fail to see just how suicidal that is (trigger word warning for victims of self terminations...oh...I guess it's too late since you already would have read that...oh well). What you are proposing is a system where votes are counted based on pay...that is pay per vote. That's exactly that kinda thing that exists in Continuum. Eventually all the purchasing power is concentrated in an oligarchy and the citizens are simply the costumers who have no recourse. It's not a democracy at all in that system.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Look, all you need is a small loan of a million dollars, and you can do anything.
                bah! why bother with a loan
                just inherit the damn money, easy peasy

Comment

I am not advocating a system where the more dollars you earn, the more votes that you get. What I'm saying is that you must be self supporting in order to vote. Once you meet that standard, you get your 1 vote. It doesn't matter how much you have above that standard, you still only get 1 vote.

Comment

So I guess we are going to ignore the Constitution then?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I am not advocating a system where the more dollars you earn, the more votes that you get.
                      point is your idea would open the door to such a scenario & it'd be only a matter of time

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      yup when it suits them

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                        bah! why bother with a loan
                        just inherit the damn money, easy peasy
                        Sorry, was feeling presidential, it must be something I read or saw.
                        sigpic

Comment

OK, who are you, and what have you done with Jelgate??
                          sigpic

Comment

Right, so when you -actually- look at the problem, it's not so much the government handouts that are costing the taxpayer stupid amounts of money, it is the waste found within the system. You could conceivably knock a 3rd off the cost of social services (some 230 billion dollars based on my info) and deliver better and more effective services.
                            Yes, Social Services are expensive still, but I would say they are worth it. As Womble said, investing in your people and their future is investing in your countries future as well.
                            True getting rid of the bloat would help out. BUT till they get serious imo in going after welfare cheats/fraudsters as well, i don't think people are going to stop hating on welfare.

What is wrong with either of these things?
                            You submit to a licence for a car, and vehicle registration with the state, and upping the cost of ammo is hardly a bad thing is it? Most responsible gun owners probably only use 20-60 rounds per month if they keep their training in would you not think?
                            Cause Driving is a privelige, where owning a gun is a right (2nd amendment)..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              True getting rid of the bloat would help out. BUT till they get serious imo in going after welfare cheats/fraudsters as well, i don't think people are going to stop hating on welfare.
                              Haters gonna hate, there is nothing you can do about it.
                              I find it hilarious however seeing people bagging on "welfare cheats" (which are a tiny fraction, even a few hundred thousand is less than 1%) whilst they hold up signs saying "keep your government hands off my Medicaid", a social program run, and funded by the federal government.

Cause Driving is a privelige, where owning a gun is a right (2nd amendment)..
                              [/quote]
                              Then why can't released felons get guns legally?
                              It's a right, right?
                              Or, are you saying that the state and the fed have the right to curtail your constitutional rights sometimes?
                              Restricting sales of high cap magazines does not stop you from owning a "arms". In fact, allowing the general public to own nothing more powerful than a 5 capacity .22 pistol breaks exactly ZERO rules in the 2nd Amendment, nor does denying them to own more than the 5 rounds to fill the weapon. It curtails CHOICE only.
                              sigpic

Comment

No, the Constitution would have to be amended using the processes that are in place for doing so. I don't think the idea would be able to get enough support to do so, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X