Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    You miss the point
    Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    And again you miss the point.
    Wow...lots of point missing going on!
    sigpic

Comment

Pedestrians in general are a victim waiting to happen. Especially all those people with over the ear headphones cranked to 100 .
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Maybe we ought to require this outlier behavior of all drivers? I have long advocated far more stringent road tests to get a license than the joke we have now.
        Now you are moving goalposts.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Pedestrians in general are a victim waiting to happen. Especially all those people with over the ear headphones cranked to 100 .
          True, but there are worse roadkill wannabes. Bicycles, followed closely by motorcycles.

Pedestrians have one advantage over bikes/motorcycles; they are more maneuverable. An alert pedestrian can jump out of the way far more quickly. But in any case, being on a roadway without maintaining situational awareness is a ticket to a Darwin award.

Comment

Now you are moving goalposts.
            True enough. But maybe we should measure computers against the best human drivers, rather than the worst?

Comment

Interesting idea. But has he thought it through?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...d-war-iii.html

"Then we want to make sure that there's enough of a seed of human civilization somewhere else to bring civilization back and perhaps shorten the length of the dark ages," he said. "I think a moon base and a Mars base that could perhaps help regenerate life back here on Earth would be really important, and to get that done before a possible World War III."
              As I understand it, the harsh radiation of space, without protection from an atmosphere, damages human DNA, making reproduction impossible for long-term space voyagers. This is why astronauts have their semen/sperm/eggs frozen prior to embarking on their careers.

How viable is a long term colony going to be?

Comment

True enough. But maybe we should measure computers against the best human drivers, rather than the worst?
                Deep thought would like a word with you, and you ARE going to loose.
                oh, and you moved the goalpost, again.
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...d-war-iii.html

As I understand it, the harsh radiation of space, without protection from an atmosphere, damages human DNA, making reproduction impossible for long-term space voyagers. This is why astronauts have their semen/sperm/eggs frozen prior to embarking on their careers.

He's talking about having humans existing elsewhere besides earth to repopulate if needs be, not weather they can blow seed anywhere, or even if it has to be long term.

You might be a mechanic, but your context meter is rooted.
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember in college, how a lot of people didn't even look when crossing the road
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

He's talking about having humans existing elsewhere besides earth to repopulate if needs be, not weather they can blow seed anywhere, or even if it has to be long term.

You might be a mechanic, but your context meter is rooted.
                      His understanding of radiation is pretty weak as well
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

His understanding of radiation is pretty weak as well
                        fixed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Human drivers have been coping with blind spots since they started putting tops on cars.
                          Ever drive a panel truck or van, where the only view you have behind you is in the two side mirrors?
                          And in the case of autonomous cars it is easily resolved by installing an extra camera or Lidar. Now, unless you can grow some rear-view eyes that you can strategically place around the car's perimeter...
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

fixed.
                            Isn't that what got us in trouble with Baggie in the first place?
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                              Good thing you (FH) noted "as we know it"..

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Which was in reference to the lyrics... really...
                              R.E.M.?
                              I'm not too fond of that "End of the World" ("as we know it...") song...
                              ... I like their "The One I Love" better.
                              ("This one goes out to the One I love... this one goes out to the One I left -- behind...")

Comment

I live in a city where students of all ages walk everywhere but the sidewalk. I'm a pro at dodging morons.

Elon Musk has ideas first, then he works to making them a reality, but in this case I would have to say -- think loooooong before making this a reality in some way.

I'm oddly reminded of that Syfy miniseries.... what was its name again.... *looks it up* ... Ascension.

Have you been watching The 100?

WelL... depends on how long they can keep the bloodlines from becoming one big, happy (but very crazy) family...

I remember in college, how a lot of people didn't even look when crossing the road
                                I have a friend who would yell, at random and without looking, "Überqueren!" -- (German for crossing) -- and we would look on in horror when cars were barely missing her. Many times, we managed to yank her back at the very last minute.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                And in the case of autonomous cars it is easily resolved by installing an extra camera or Lidar. Now, unless you can grow some rear-view eyes that you can strategically place around the car's perimeter...
                                Would cameras do?

My father's car has sensors all around his car and warns when objects are too close.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                                R.E.M.?
                                I'm not too fond of that "End of the World" ("as we know it...") song...
                                Yes, though I can only ever remember that line.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X