Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I've seen that ad, too. Tech that assists the driver is fine. As long as the driver remains in control of the vehicle, I have no problem. But didn't that ad also show the driver as being distracted, smacking the kids in the back seat or something?
    To me, that is as much an indictment of the driver as it is a benefit of the tech.

Whenever you are behind the wheel, first, last and always, drive the car. All else is secondary.

Comment

Also read the small print, it usually says something about only working below x mph (18 on the original TSS adverts, think it's changed to around 30/40 now). It also says it won't avoid a collision, merely reduce the impact speed.

Sadly what will happen is average moron Joe won't read the small print and will drive into a wall at 50mph, and instead of being labelled the fool he is, the incident will be used to justify more autonomous braking systems and push the technology forward because "people need saving".

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
        Also read the small print, it usually says something about only working below x mph (18 on the original TSS adverts, think it's changed to around 30/40 now). It also says it won't avoid a collision, merely reduce the impact speed.

Sadly what will happen is average moron Joe won't read the small print and will drive into a wall at 50mph, and instead of being labelled the fool he is, the incident will be used to justify more autonomous braking systems and push the technology forward because "people need saving".
        Worse, he or his heirs will sue the automaker to become instantly rich.

Comment

Supposedly, the girl opened her jacket right before the picture was snapped.

sigpic

Comment

Must be Des, can't be Troy...............
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              I agree...or at least the monitor who was in the car should be to blame. I've not seen any news reports on this, but I've heard that he (or she) was supposedly watching videos of some sort.
              The latest i heard is that Uber cut corners on their radars leading to blind spots on the car. It has nothing to.do with Annoyed's computer conspiracy. More of the same old tactic where car companies cutting corners
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                The latest i heard is that Uber cut corners on their radars leading to blind spots on the car. It has nothing to.do with Annoyed's computer conspiracy. More of the same old tactic where car companies cutting corners
                Human drivers have been coping with blind spots since they started putting tops on cars.
                Ever drive a panel truck or van, where the only view you have behind you is in the two side mirrors?

Comment

You miss the point
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, that's just dumb to do, and shows how deeply concerned some companies are with installing 100% plus safety measures for the sake of profit margins. Some go overboard, and others just skip out on little details here and there .. things that end up becoming bigger "Ooopsy!" details somewhere in the future.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    And on that day, SGAlisa will tell us all -- told you say. The end of the world has happened after all...

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Hmm .I'd think if the world really ended,we'd have bigger concerns than an internet message board,and no time for any chats!
                    Yeppers. Exactly that.
                    And just for the record ~ for FH, I might not be around to say anything... either our region of the world will be severely disabled and unable to communicate with the rest of the globe, or it will be destroyed in some degree or another. Same forum posting results (as in nada! ... no ISP, no electricity, no keyboard, no whatever, tho.)

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    The whole "and on that day pigs will fly" seemed too much of an understatement. Hence why I chose the next best thing -- the end of the world (as we know it).
                    Good thing you (FH) noted "as we know it"..
                    Gosh, I go off to do home things and return in lurk mode and ... wonder what would happen if I just stopped posting without any explanation...
                    ..(for now--it's because family time takes priority over reading and responding to a forum)..

Comment

You miss the point
                      Not really. You made the claim that the accident was caused by blind spots in the computer's field of vision caused by poor design. I'm saying that humans have been dealing with blind spots for a very long time.

So much for the computer's driving ability. If it can't cope with a blind spot, how the hell is it going to cope with all the other unpredictable hazards on the roads?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        Not really. You made the claim that the accident was caused by blind spots in the computer's field of vision caused by poor design. I'm saying that humans have been dealing with blind spots for a very long time.

So much for the computer's driving ability. If it can't cope with a blind spot, how the hell is it going to cope with all the other unpredictable hazards on the roads?
                        And again you miss the point.
                        If Uber did not cut corners, no issue, humans do have that option. I have lost count of the times that some fool on the road has tried to change lanes or whatever without checking their blind spots, knowing the rules or just plain stupidity. Your -personal- desire to know how to drive your car, with or without computer assistance is great, more people should do it, but you are an outlier in the public driving community.
                        Computers must follow the laws of their programming.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          Yeah, I've seen that ad, too. Tech that assists the driver is fine. As long as the driver remains in control of the vehicle, I have no problem. But didn't that ad also show the driver as being distracted, smacking the kids in the back seat or something?
                          To me, that is as much an indictment of the driver as it is a benefit of the tech.

Whenever you are behind the wheel, first, last and always, drive the car. All else is secondary.

So you've seen the same ad too. I think the girl with the headphones was in the wrong for the most part.
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            So you've seen the same ad too. I think the girl with the headphones was in the wrong for the most part.
                            Of course she was. She was just a stand-up idiot for the car ad to knock down.

But the driver was just as wrong. When you're driving, you don't turn around to smack the kids, use the phone, send text messages or any other damn fool thing while in motion. Pull over first.

IF the driver had been paying attention, the braking feature would have never been activated. But that won't sell the product.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              And again you miss the point.
                              If Uber did not cut corners, no issue, humans do have that option. I have lost count of the times that some fool on the road has tried to change lanes or whatever without checking their blind spots, knowing the rules or just plain stupidity. Your -personal- desire to know how to drive your car, with or without computer assistance is great, more people should do it, but you are an outlier in the public driving community.
                              Computers must follow the laws of their programming.
                              Maybe we ought to require this outlier behavior of all drivers? I have long advocated far more stringent road tests to get a license than the joke we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                There's a car for sale here that has a feature that applies the brakes if something is in front of it while moving, the advertising for this car shows a dumbass girl wearing headphones who obviously can't hear the car and the car brakes as she crosses its path. It saved the driver from running her down and her from a darwin award.
                                The Mini Countrymen I drove in Tenerife last year had a warning system when I was too close to other cars in front of me -- and no, I'm not in the habit of tailgating.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                                Good thing you (FH) noted "as we know it"..
                                Which was in reference to the lyrics... really...
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X