Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say we put Annoyed and MG on a deserted island. That way they will be safe from all the technology that scares them. They will probably be dead sooner but at least they know they didn't take unnecessary risks
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I say we put Annoyed and MG on a deserted island. That way they will be safe from all the technology that scares them. They will probably be dead sooner but at least they know they didn't take unnecessary risks
      Lord of the flies?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I don't mind electronics...I just don't think we should be cramming them into every conceivable thing we've got

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          and as Scotty once said: "The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain."

in other words...the more electronic gadgets we cram into our vehicles the easier they're gonna be to disable...Scotty only needed to remove a few screws (at least they looked like screws...could've been some other innocuous-looking part though) to disable the Excelsior's transwarp drive after all
          How is this related to what I said in the slightest?
          This is the epitome of the apples and oranges argument you constantly misuse to discount others.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            actually I don't use a bank in the traditional sense anymore....I use one of those Bluebird accounts though it is an American Express thing
            That's more digital not less.

What I'm curious about is why you think that machines built by imperfect people cannot be trusted to drive, but the imperfect people themselves can be. Machines are vastly less likely to make errors, and their errors are more correctable.

One of my pet projects at work is minimizing losses due to human error (incorrectly read ticket rules, incorrectly input data during ticket reissue or refund, things that "fall through the cracks" and not get done etc.). There simply is no way of avoiding these things except automation.
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              That's more digital not less.

What I'm curious about is why you think that machines built by imperfect people cannot be trusted to drive, but the imperfect people themselves can be. Machines are vastly less likely to make errors, and their errors are more correctable.

One of my pet projects at work is minimizing losses due to human error (incorrectly read ticket rules, incorrectly input data during ticket reissue or refund, things that "fall through the cracks" and not get done etc.). There simply is no way of avoiding these things except automation.
              And I don't see how a machine would be less likely to make a mistake than the imperfect humans who built them

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                How is this related to what I said in the slightest?
                This is the epitome of the apples and oranges argument you constantly misuse to discount others.
                you're the one that doesn't seem to mind if we crammed electronic devices into everything we own

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  Regarding the large military. The most expensive army in the world is the one that comes in second. We don't live in a peacful world, we live in a very violent and nasty one. It is best to have the biggest stick.
                  And that's why you love authority. You like the government to be the most powerful in the world. You trust Washington with more firepower than the entire US civil population has, yet claim to distrust authority.

Give up the act.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    And that's why you love authority. You like the government to be the most powerful in the world. You trust Washington with more firepower than the entire US civil population has, yet claim to distrust authority.

Give up the act.
                    You're a bit confused there. I want Washington to have more firepower than any other nation on Earth. As I said, this world is a nasty place, and it is best to have the biggest stick.

Our laws prohibit the use of the military against our own population. If such an order ever comes down, it may not be obeyed.
                    Last edited by Annoyed; 25 March 2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      Because calling them a terrorist would upset all their supporters. We can't have that now can we? How bad if that happens.

When white males blow things up they are troubled people not terrorists. You can't call them that..
                      But if they are any other race we can...which says a lot about how far we have to go in the realm of equality.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      To be fair, not all violent acts are terrorism.
                      True...however, at this point Conditt's motives have yet to be discovered. There was a confession video, but he didn't answer the why question in the confession.

They don't call Jack the Ripper a terrorist either.
                      He was a serial killer.

Terrorism is politically-motivate violence, not any violence. Terrorists murder civilians as a form of psychological warfare in a larger war. The Oklahoma City bomber was a terrorist; the school shooters aren't.
                      I would venture to say to rule out school shooters, you would have to examine their motivation. Conditt's motivation in the bombings, is unknown. At least it was as of Friday. I've been out of news loop because I bought a new house on Friday. Anyway, my point was if the perpetrator of a violent act (terrorism or otherwise) is Caucasian, they are always "mentally disturbed," "challenged," or some other verbage to white-wash what the perpetrator has done.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        But if they are any other race we can...which says a lot about how far we have to go in the realm of equality.

True...however, at this point Conditt's motives have yet to be discovered. There was a confession video, but he didn't answer the why question in the confession.

He was a serial killer.

I would venture to say to rule out school shooters, you would have to examine their motivation. Conditt's motivation in the bombings, is unknown. At least it was as of Friday. I've been out of news loop because I bought a new house on Friday. Anyway, my point was if the perpetrator of a violent act (terrorism or otherwise) is Caucasian, they are always "mentally disturbed," "challenged," or some other verbage to white-wash what the perpetrator has done.
                        Maybe that's because most Caucasian perpetrators are just off the rails, they're not pushing a political agenda, as opposed to say, most ISIS/Islamic-origin (which tend to be of darker complexion) perpetrators who are?

The most recent bomber.. No apparent political motive. The school shooter in Maryland targeted his ex-girlfriend. The Parkland, Fla. shooter's motive is unknown, but may be revenge; he had been expelled from the school. The Las Vegas shooter's motive is still unknown as far as I know.

None of these have had political motives.

As we have covered, the definition of terrorism includes a political motive. It's not racism, it's not any sort of ism. It's just the facts, plain an simple.

Can you name a white (or any other color) mass murderer who has committed an act in the U.S. that was politically motivated where the perpetrator wasn't labeled a terrorist?

Comment

Maybe that's because most Caucasian perpetrators are just off the rails, they're not pushing a political agenda, as opposed to say, most ISIS/Islamic-origin (which tend to be of darker complexion) perpetrators who are?

The most recent bomber.. No apparent political motive. The school shooter in Maryland targeted his ex-girlfriend. The Parkland, Fla. shooter's motive is unknown, but may be revenge; he had been expelled from the school. The Las Vegas shooter's motive is still unknown as far as I know.

None of these have had political motives.

As we have covered, the definition of terrorism includes a political motive. It's not racism, it's not any sort of ism. It's just the facts, plain an simple.

Can you name a white (or any other color) mass murderer who has committed an act in the U.S. that was politically motivated where the perpetrator wasn't labeled a terrorist?
                          I see my absence didn't allow you to grasp the point of my post, which you even quoted. Here...allow me to refresh your memory...

...Anyway, my point was if the perpetrator of a violent act (terrorism or otherwise) is Caucasian, they are always "mentally disturbed," "challenged," or some other verbage to white-wash what the perpetrator has done.
                          If the perpearator were black, latino, middle eastern, or any other shade of brown...they would be classified as "violent," "cruel," "terrorist," "inhuman," or any other term with a negative connotation. There would be no selective selection of terminology to attempt to validate why the perpetrator attempted to commit the act of violence that he/she committed.
                          sigpic

Comment

And now for something outside the U.S.

I've read about a number of calls to delay the implementation of Brexit. I really hope Britain's leadership isn't stupid enough to buy into any of them. The real intent of course, is to give the opposition time to stop it altogether.

Such as this gem:

Former Brexit volunteer alleges campaign 'cheated'

Washington (CNN)An individual who volunteered for a Brexit campaign effort said the organization broke the law, and in turn, is arguing the referendum vote "wasn't legitimate," according to the United Kingdom's Channel 4 News.
                            This, despite the following later on in the article..

An attorney for Vote Leave also told Channel 4 that the campaign had, "twice been cleared on this matter by the Electoral Commission," but acknowledged the network's report presented new allegations and said it would investigate.
                            The opposition's strategy is crystal clear; delay long enough to find some way to stop it. I hope Britain's leaders don't fall for it.

Comment

I see my absence didn't allow you to grasp the point of my post, which you even quoted. Here...allow me to refresh your memory...

If the perpearator were black, latino, middle eastern, or any other shade of brown...they would be classified as "violent," "cruel," "terrorist," "inhuman," or any other term with a negative connotation. There would be no selective selection of terminology to attempt to validate why the perpetrator attempted to commit the act of violence that he/she committed.
                              Eh? "Nut Job" has a pretty negative connotation when it's used as an excuse to kill people.

Comment

Eh? "Nut Job" has a pretty negative connotation when it's used as an excuse to kill people.
                                That was one incident...the Parkland shooting.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X