• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know her better than any of you so I win
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Who's complaining? I laughed my arse off.
      Right wing special snowflakes. You know those idiots who think Trump is a great guy, will be great for the country based on his "platform", you know, the one that is heavily endorsed by such great thinkers as the KKK. Those "special people" who think that the USA was built as a haven for the white people (especially men) but deny that they are "racist" (cause, that's bad, and I have black friends to prove I am not racist)
      I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when you -actively- support people who feel this way, -for the same reasons- you are just like them. Some Trump supporters were simply, and justifiably annoyed that the left, the party that claims to support them totally ignored them this election, and I don't think they are bad, or racist or ignorant, they were responding to the economic realities of their situation, these are the people who flipped, and I do not blame them in the slightest.

They are socially liberal, they don't believe in "White America" and blaming the "invaders" for their woe's, or "loose women" draining the public purse, they just want to work, live their lives and get along with their neighbours, no matter where they come from, who they shack up with, or what colour they are, and they ARE the majority of Americans, be they republican or democrat.

The flip side however is that Republicans -invited- these whack jobs into their party, people who stand for nothing but the chance to blame others for their woes. "X company moved away it's them Y's fault" while they sit in their decaying towns, doing nothing but cry. They will not move to chase a job, but blame those who did, and when you point it out "oh, I am stuck where I am". Forget the fact that these people had ancestors who did the exact same thing, pick up sticks and go on uncertainty and hope of something better. Nope, it's the "others" fault for taking what jobs are available, cause they have the "right" to those jobs.

Of course, this is not really worth it, is it? It will not make a jot of difference.

If this is an example of what we have coming from the liberal media, it's gonna be a funny 4 - 8 years.
      Yeah, umm, MTV is not what I would call "hard hitting news". What I would get ready for is an explosion of well paying jobs in the comedy fields, pointing out that the emperor has neither clothes, nor clues. I expect the @POTUS twitter account to be filled with people calling out an orange troll, and a lame, thin skinned, should have been wiped on the curtains excuse for a human being responding.
      I'd like Trump to grow up and steer the nation the right way, I actually really would. I'd like to "give him the chance" that republicans are asking for, but there is nothing in his running for the nomination, the POTUS, or his cabinet picks that really change my mind.
      He'll change after the primaries
      He'll change when he is the nominated contender
      He'll change when he is POTUS

I believe the right is very fond of the "3 strikes and you are out" policy when it comes to criminals, and he has already had his 3 strikes.
      Why should anyone give him a 4th chance?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        good idea. better join as a very high ranking officer like army general or navy admiral though, so you can decide where to go & whom to fight
        You know your comment would make more sense if -everyone- in the West wasn't after ISIS anyway?
        Troll fail.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          You know your comment would make more sense if -everyone- in the West wasn't after ISIS anyway?
          Troll fail.
          reality check: just 'cause you join the army doesn't mean you'll be sent abroad
          even if you're sent abroad doesn't mean you'll get to see glorious battle action

besides you yourself admitted the problem was the letter of the law

Comment

Do you ever get tired of pushing those goalposts around?

There -are- consequences to actions, even if those actions could, or even should be viewed in a positive light.
            Should the woman be charged?
            No, she probably should not.
            Should the law not exist?
            No, because it gives legal recourse to deal with "problem people"

If you allow "let her go to fight ISIS", you allow "let her go to fight FOR ISIS", it's freedom of choice. Or do you want to impose jack-booted draconian responses to things you might currently "feel" are wrong?

You should join the GOP.
            sigpic

Comment

Do you ever get tired of pushing those goalposts around?

There -are- consequences to actions, even if those actions could, or even should be viewed in a positive light.
              Should the woman be charged?
              No, she probably should not.
              Should the law not exist?
              No, because it gives legal recourse to deal with "problem people"

If you allow "let her go to fight ISIS", you allow "let her go to fight FOR ISIS", it's freedom of choice. Or do you want to impose jack-booted draconian responses to things you might currently "feel" are wrong?

You should join the GOP.
              as in, when I quoted you on the letter of the law thing or when you moved the goalposts to single out western nations only? (and that's assuming all western nations really are fighting ISIS)
              point is the law as is it worded should not exist. the real draconian response is precisely arresting people based on a blanket law & you don't even realize the irony even though you practically admitted it yourself, lemme requote:
              but the wording is vague enough to use it against people fighting against ISIS
              hey it's the law right? so the coppers get a good excuse to have fun
              GOP would be perfect for you since they're the ones obsessed with Dredd-style Rule of Law no matter how asinine the law

PS. yup they should be free to leave for ISIS so that argument wont work with me

Comment

as in, when I quoted you on the letter of the law thing or when you moved the goalposts to single out western nations only? (and that's assuming all western nations really are fighting ISIS)
                You were referring to the law of a WESTERN NATION, that was your example.
                OMG!!!
                I moved the goalposts!!!
                Where did I move them to exactly?
                point is the law as is it worded should not exist.
                As it is worded?
                Perhaps not. As it is intended? Yes, it should.
                the real draconian response is precisely arresting people based on a blanket law & you don't even realize the irony even though you practically admitted it yourself, lemme requote:hey it's the law right? so the coppers get a good excuse to have fun
                Err, laws are meant to be blanket, that is the point of them. Do you need special exceptions for what you agree with?

GOP would be perfect for you since they're the ones obsessed with Dredd-style Rule of Law no matter how asinine the law
                No, you are seemingly incapable of differentiating a legal argument Vs a Social argument.
                If the law is asinine, it should be changed, I have no problems with that at all. The law -also- has no mandatory sentences, so if the Judge feels that the punishment should be a "don't do it again", they are free to impose that lack of sentence.
                This is not AD2020 where the punishments are codified and a judge has no choice but to comply or suffer the backlash, no matter what you may think.
                I think laws have value, and laws should be upheld, I -also- believe that laws can and should be challenged if society does not agree with them. Some people -will- suffer under that paradigm, it is unavoidable, but far less than if you silence dissent, or breed people to blindly accept them.
                PS. yup they should be free to leave for ISIS so that argument wont work with me
                And by what mechanism will you stop them from coming back?
                The law??
                sigpic

Comment

stop them? how so? in theory they're already dealt with when (if) they return
                  and it's doubtful a wall would stop them :|

anyway the article refers to Denmark - if it ain't clear enough my opinion of the law would be same w/e the country (should've put quotes around the blanket but you know what I meant)
                  the legal & social aspect are intertwined unless you meant to discuss democracy itself. the judge doesn't have to sentence her but she still got a de facto punishment, the SS didn't have the obligation to detain her either (case in point when jihadists return maybe they're arrested too but then they're sometimes given counselling instead of detention & indictment. so even the legal argument alone falls flat)

her detention could have made sense if it was on grounds of terrorism suspicion (eg. if she fell to the dark side & ended up joining ISIS) but that wasn't the case this here was just another instance of the old dura lex sed lex

As it is worded?
                  Perhaps not. As it is intended? Yes, it should.
                  If the law is asinine, it should be changed, I have no problems with that at all.
                  good so you agree of what counts (that'ss the whole f point of the OP)

Comment

so did the Isisers
                    maybe she should've joined Isis :|
                    Exactly.. SHe 'broke the law' but to FIGHT the enemy, the others that went to JOIN isis are being 'rehabbed'...
                    How's that right?

Comment

Onto another subject.. At least ONE airline is now getting into the act of charging you extra not just for CHECKED baggage, but your CARRY ons..
                      FUT THE WHUK over...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/travel...fee/index.html

Comment

We have a similar law here as well. It's part of a whole collection of laws which are mainly targeted at people who have gone off to fight FOR ISIS, but the wording is vague enough to use it against people fighting against ISIS.
                        Same here.

reality check: just 'cause you join the army doesn't mean you'll be sent abroad
                        even if you're sent abroad doesn't mean you'll get to see glorious battle action
                        I don't think many soldiers want to see glorious battle action, unless you join the special forces.

A friend of mine has a friend who's in the Belgian military and he's been sent to Afghanistan, Mali and now he's in Rome, Italy (which has the best gay bars apparently ).

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Exactly.. SHe 'broke the law' but to FIGHT the enemy, the others that went to JOIN isis are being 'rehabbed'...
                        You should research the project so that at least you have a basic understanding of what it is they do, and who it is for:

"the Danish program is focusing on those individuals that that may have gone to Syria without completely realizing what they were getting into.

This scheme recognizes that many more of those who have gone to Syria may be disillusioned or traumatized by what they’ve experienced and are seeking a way out. They may have imagined that they were going to join an honorable struggle against a tyrannical regime and instead found themselves fighting on the rebel factions or being witnesses to atrocities.
                        "

And it's a project which has gotten a lot of flack, which is quite understandible.

Newsweek article about it here.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Onto another subject.. At least ONE airline is now getting into the act of charging you extra not just for CHECKED baggage, but your CARRY ons..
                        FUT THE WHUK over...
                        http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/travel...fee/index.html
                        And this is news?
                        I mean, low-cost airline companies have to get their money somewhere. Besides, low-cost airlines are generally fairing people on short distances and usually they don't take much with them so I guess if you can't have the fee for luggage, you have to get it somewhere else.

I'm not a fan of low-cost airlines, the likes of Ryan Air, they charge for everything.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          I mean, low-cost airline companies have to get their money somewhere. Besides, low-cost airlines are generally fairing people on short distances and usually they don't take much with them so I guess if you can't have the fee for luggage, you have to get it somewhere else.

I'm not a fan of low-cost airlines, the likes of Ryan Air, they charge for everything.
                          It's not just low cost ones getting into the act. Using Google, i find this story that's 10 days old, showing United is getting in on the act. Well, its more for a 'fee if you wish to use the overhead bins for your carry-on.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local/...bins/367640161

Comment

I can't blame them, United I mean. Have you seen what people check in as hand-luggage? Those little carry ons are nearly the size of my suitcase -- and they take up quite a lot of space in the overhead bins too.

It's only 25$ -- that isn't much.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not nearly as hard to put up with as the whales that take up two seats and therefore spill over into the adjacent seats.

Comment

I for one get ticked off with those wheelchair passengers. No, you can't have an aisle seat. I paid for it. Now get on hopping and climbing to your designated seat and stay out of my way
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X