This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    And Don't see much beyond a simple correlation that an operation or transitional care would prevent suicide attempts when there are so many other factors involved.
    Transitioning is only a small part. It's the other factors which can break a person down to the level they would want it to end - the other factors are external such as violence, bigotry, disrespect, discrimination, depression, being considered an abnormality.

Just look at what some folks in here are saying about transgenders... I think we all can see the bigger picture, and none of us are blind to the reality.

As far as prisoners go, they are still people -- citizenship revoked or not -- which means they still have a right to a healthy life (even when they are on dead row), and thus if a transgender prisoner would want to transition they should be given the chance to do so. However, the procedure would have to be the same as someone on the "outside" wanting to transition.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      As far as prisoners go, they are still people -- citizenship revoked or not -- which means they still have a right to a healthy life (even when they are on dead row), and thus if a transgender prisoner would want to transition they should be given the chance to do so. However, the procedure would have to be the same as someone on the "outside" wanting to transition.
      That's the main point of contention. And as you mentioned, transitioning is only a small part. That's why I find the suicide attempt rate argument to be insufficient to provide government funded transitions.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

That's the kicker though.. Those on the outside have to either
        A) have it covered under their insurance (many insurances don't) or
        B) pay for it themselves..

Comment

And the method of paying for the procedure should be the same too.

If I chose to do something like this, I have no right to expect the taxpayers to pick up the tab. It is up to me to pay for it, via my health insurance if it covers it or out of my own pocket if it doesn't.

Committing a crime and being sent to prison does not entitle that person to have rights that a law abiding citizen doesn't.

Comment

I'm sure most have heard of Volkswagon's advert. slogan "Fahrvergnügen".
            Ever since they started with that, I've had a mental habit of modifying it to say "f***ingstinking", most often when I'm stuck behind one of them in traffic. (their drivers seem to prefer being slowpokes)

Little did I know how close to the truth I was.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...-test-beating/

Volkswagen says that an internal investigation has revealed that 11 million of its vehicles sold worldwide are fitted with the same software designed to trick emissions-testing equipment as the 500,000 vehicles involved in an emerging scandal in the United States.

In a statement, Volkswagen said it “does not tolerate any kind of violation of laws whatsoever. It is and remains the top priority of the Board of Management to win back lost trust and to avert damage to our customers. The Group will inform the public on the further progress of the investigations constantly and transparently.”
            BS. They're just trying to see how far down the food chain they can push the blame for this. There would have to have been a fairly large R&D budget to develop this; don't tell me that management wasn't aware.

Comment

Volkswagen also owns Audi, so that could get ugly.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Volkswagen also owns Audi, so that could get ugly.
                Where's Harry Hill when you need him?
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  Where's Harry Hill when you need him?
                  Narrating 30 year old clips on You've Been Framed and trying to convince the audience that they're new?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    I'm sure most have heard of Volkswagon's advert. slogan "Fahrvergnügen".
                    Ever since they started with that, I've had a mental habit of modifying it to say "f***ingstinking", most often when I'm stuck behind one of them in traffic. (their drivers seem to prefer being slowpokes)

Little did I know how close to the truth I was.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...-test-beating/

BS. They're just trying to see how far down the food chain they can push the blame for this. There would have to have been a fairly large R&D budget to develop this; don't tell me that management wasn't aware.
                    A couple of months back after the last batch of car recalls, i was commenting to someone at Origins, how it seems VW has escaped all the recall fiasco.. Seems i need to eat some crow

Personally i hope this is ONE time car exes get punished to the full extent of the law.

Comment

their conviction would be a good step, but VW's a small fry next to General Motors

GM's supposed to be what, the world's richest company? so just imagine how filthy corrupt they must be
                      so far none of their leaders went to jail for a faulty ignition problem that was traced to over 100 deaths

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                        their conviction would be a good step, but VW's a small fry next to General Motors

GM's supposed to be what, the world's richest company? so just imagine how filthy corrupt they must be
                        so far none of their leaders went to jail for a faulty ignition problem that was traced to over 100 deaths
                        My, my, what short memories. GM should have gone out of business in 2009. Period.

Their management did their jobs so poorly the company would have gone bankrupt, and that's exactly what should have happened. Somebody would have bought the smoking remains at fire sale prices and did a better job of running it. But instead, GM conned the government into a taxpayer funded bailout so that those very same managers could continue to screw up.

And one other thing while I'm on the subject. Doesn't seem to be an awful coincidence that the company who had surpassed GM as the country's leading automaker, Toyota was the target of a fairly large number of government recall actions over the supposed sticky throttle issue, right after that govt. bailout? That issue was a smokescreen from day one. Just for the sake of discussion, let's assume the throttles did stick (and I don't buy that), an automobile's brakes are strong enough to overpower the engine; How much intelligence does it take to turn the key off, throw it in neutral, etc. The whole issue just doesn't track logically.
                        I'm quite certain that whole recall campaign was driven by government bureaucrats trying to take Toyota down a peg or two to allow the crippled GM to regain market leadership in this country.
                        Last edited by Annoyed; 22 September 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          My, my, what short memories. GM should have gone out of business in 2009. Period.

Their management did their jobs so poorly the company would have gone bankrupt, and that's exactly what should have happened. Somebody would have bought the smoking remains at fire sale prices and did a better job of running it. But instead, GM conned the government into a taxpayer funded bailout so that those very same managers could continue to screw up.

And one other thing while I'm on the subject. Doesn't seem to be an awful coincidence that the company who had surpassed GM as the country's leading automaker, Toyota was the target of a fairly large number of government recall actions over the supposed sticky throttle issue, right after that govt. bailout? That issue was a smokescreen from day one. Just for the sake of discussion, let's assume the throttles did stick (and I don't buy that), an automobile's brakes are strong enough to overpower the engine; How much intelligence does it take to turn the key off, throw it in neutral, etc. The whole issue just doesn't track logically.
                          I'm quite certain that whole recall campaign was driven by government bureaucrats trying to take Toyota down a peg or two to allow the crippled GM to regain market leadership in this country.
                          does sound quite suspicious for sure

Comment

In related news to all thse auto manufacturers. With all the current chatter about death from 'distracted driving' cause of texting/emailing etc by cell phone users while driving, why has not one auto maker looked into tech that shuts down (or just blocks) Cell phones working while the vehicle engine is turned on/in operation??

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              In related news to all thse auto manufacturers. With all the current chatter about death from 'distracted driving' cause of texting/emailing etc by cell phone users while driving, why has not one auto maker looked into tech that shuts down (or just blocks) Cell phones working while the vehicle engine is turned on/in operation??
                              This topic is a perfect example of hypocrisy in action.
                              The use of cell phones while driving has always been a pet peeve of mine. And I've discussed it with people both IRL and on internet forums. Everyone says that we need to find a way to put a stop to it. Since laws seem to have no effect at all, I've made that very suggestion; the phones be manufactured so that they don't work inside an automobile whose engine is running. (technically very easy to do) And the response is almost universally the same.

People usually like the idea, until they think about it, and then they oppose the idea.. because they realize that that would stop them from using their cell phones too, along with everyone else.

As a footnote, I will admit that this is the one and only good idea that has come out of the current administration; the head of the DOT made this proposal a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                I use my cell phone as both my GPS and my audio source, so blocking it completely would be inconvenient. That's without considering the fact that passengers could use their phone without distracting the driver. There's also the potential need to make an emergency call if you observe a situation that requires one (probably the best of the three reasons).

In general, limiting distracted driving would be a good thing, but there are enough situations where a phone could be needed that just turning the phone completely off while the car engine is running would cause issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X