This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    With parental consent, yes. But youngsters often don't look at things from a long term perspective. A youngster may very well feel their circumstances are intolerable, and rationalize a decision to end it, when in fact, looking at the long view, it's nothing but a bump in the road.
    Terminally ill minors -- not a bump in the road, I'm afraid.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Depends on the minor and the situation. A 15 year old with terminal cancer has enough competency to make those decisions. A 5 year old does not. That said, the current law says that a guardian makes the medical decisions until you are 18.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Depends on the minor and the situation. A 15 year old with terminal cancer has enough competency to make those decisions. A 5 year old does not. That said, the current law says that a guardian makes the medical decisions until you are 18.
        Not ALL medical decisions, however. But let's not go down that road.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          A 5 year old does not.
          But a 5-year old with terminal cancer isn't stupid either.

Comment

Never said they were
            Jelgate is right

Comment

what of those with Locked-in Syndrome
              Last edited by SoulReaver; 19 September 2016, 01:40 AM.

Comment

If you have not stated what you want to happen to you, then you're locked in a living situation until such day you die.

I believe it's possible to put down in an official form what you want to happen in case such an event happens, like a DNR, but I don't know about a situation such as locked-in syndrome.

Comment

I remember when I was in the 9th grade that this was considered a controversy. In my youth I though it was a pretty clear cut answer of NO. Then I got older and thought about it more, started seeing how complicated life really was and in the end this isn't like suicide (which I used to equate it to without prejudice). Interesting how things look so black and white at such a young age.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

British (or should I say English) hospitals have a form, it's a combined DNR/DNT (do not treat), my mum signed one, our extended family were livid over what happened and wanted to sue for negligence, but as soon as the hospital produced the form their Solicitor was never heard from again.

They don't openly advertise it though, and the bad thing is you have to be in a bad way before they'll talk about it, it's the only way around the no assisted suicide law, essentially they make you comfortable and don't treat you while you die, instead of actually helping. Took my mum 4 days from the time she went in to die this way ( my mother-in-law was the same, went in on the Friday, died early hours on the Tuesday morning).

I don't know if living wills are legal here, but if the patient is considered of sound mind, it doesn't matter what the family want.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I believe it's possible to put down in an official form what you want to happen in case such an event happens, like a DNR, but I don't know about a situation such as locked-in syndrome.
                      never thought of that tbh :/ it's a good simple idea actually that can be easily implemented on a national level

I remember a famous case Vincent Humbert (though he could still move his left thumb so he wasn't completely locked-in & he was able to communicate thus & repeatedly stated his wish to commit suicide & also described the sort of **** he was going through like not being able to scratch when he had an itch etc.)

Comment

Over here the residential and nursing homes have a DNR set up.
                        sigpic

Comment

DNR's something that shouldn't have to wait till retirement (**** can happen any time)
                          what I meant is a system where anyone from a certain age should be allowed to - and advised to - sign a DNR. with possibility to alter the terms any time thereafter if they so wish of course

Comment

*puts a pillow over pookey's face*

Its too much. Lets end the suffering
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

LOL that's cruel, at least use morphine so they enjoy it....

Comment

A minor can be able to choose too -- if you grant that wish to an adult, then you should grant that same wish to a minor who's suffering is equal. They too have the right to choose their own ending.
                                Not so falcon. Look at all the other stuff we require parental consent for a child to do.. Cause legally and societally, we consider a child NOT old enough to be making those choices for themselves..
                                SO Why then should they be old enough to determine their death?

If you have not stated what you want to happen to you, then you're locked in a living situation until such day you die.

Here in the states those are called living wills.. You make one to let your desire's known for if you get incapacitated and are living on machines.
                                From a website )all about laws(
                                A living will, despite its name, isn't at all like the wills that people use to leave property at their death. A living will, also called a directive to physicians or advance directive, is a document that lets people state their wishes for end-of-life medical care, in case they become unable to communicate their decisions. It has no power after death.
                                BUT since that is also a contract of sorts, a child wouldn't be able to have one filled out WITHOUT their parents signing off on it.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                DNR's something that shouldn't have to wait till retirement (**** can happen any time)
                                what I meant is a system where anyone from a certain age should be allowed to - and advised to - sign a DNR. with possibility to alter the terms any time thereafter if they so wish of course
                                During one of the deployment preps we had back in the seabees, the legalmen going around helping people DO their wills, did go over DNR/DNT/Living wills as well..

Comment

Working...
                                X