This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla driver using Autopilot feature killed by tractor trailer

Joshua D. Brown, 40, of Canton, Ohio, died in the accident May 7 in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records obtained Thursday.

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."
    The technology relies on multiple cameras, radar, laser and computers to sense objects and determine if they are in the car's way, said Mike Harley, an analyst at Kelley Blue Book. Systems like Tesla's, which rely heavily on cameras, "aren't sophisticated enough to overcome blindness from bright or low contrast light," he said.

Harley called the death unfortunate and said more deaths can be expected as the autonomous technology is refined.
    From the accident description, it sounds like the wreck was caused by the truck turning in front of the car, but the car didn't even detect the hazard and try to take evasive action.

I hope this is enough to wake the various regulatory bodies up to the fact that computers can't drive cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      There's actually a group who's fighting to have Aaron Pesky recalled and barred from being judge.

However, at the moment he's still presiding court. An absolute disgrace I call him.
      Oh and look here. The same Judge, and the same offense, but a different outcome.

http://fusion.net/story/320317/brock...n=beingliberal
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        re: bold

which is why I've always said that affirmative action is in and of itself a racist policy
        I agree. If it favors or DISfavors someone based on race, how can it NOT be racism..
        BUT like with too damn many things these days, its ONLY racism if its whites vs any other group..

Now in other news.. saw this on tonights 10tv.. Apparently over the past 2 years since teh FAA did away with the Private schools as well as the FAA's own academy training ATC people, rather than a reduction in mishaps and incidents there has been a RISE. And all cause the 'supervisors' are all too often giving LESSER sentences than what the rules allow/recommend, its all getting covered up/ignored..
        Alarmingly, 10 Investigates found FAA supervisors gave a lesser punishment than what is recommended by guidelines and immediate supervisors. This is referred to as "mitigation." We did the math:

For careless work performance - including guiding aircraft towards another – 22% received a lesser punishment.
        33% of all conduct unbecoming cases, including fighting with fellow controllers, were mitigated.
        Sleeping on the job had a 44% chance that an air traffic controller would get a lesser punishment than recommended.
        http://www.10tv.com/article/breaking...raffic-control

And people wonder why with stories like this, and many others, NO one trusts a damn word coming out of ANY government official's mouth..

Additionally in other news. Some of the guns that the Paris attackers used last year, was traced to a shop in Phoenix that 'let it get sold' as part of the whole fast and furious debacle..

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06...us-gun-dealer/

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/20...ous-operation/

Comment

"Fast and Furious"

Is that where all those guns went missing?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            re: bold

which is why I've always said that affirmative action is in and of itself a racist policy
            Of course it is. But that type of discrimination is accepted. Double standard, anyone?

Comment

Perhaps you should stop whining and be glad that there are people out there who are willing to put their lives on the line for yours.

Comment

Excuse me? Aren't you always saying that various groups of people should be treated equally? I seem to recall you being quite strident about that.

So why are you defending discrimination?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  "Fast and Furious"

Is that where all those guns went missing?
                  Yeah, it was supposed to be a trap to track illegal gun sellers, it failed -horribly-.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    Excuse me? Aren't you always saying that various groups of people should be treated equally? I seem to recall you being quite strident about that.

How do you start to repair systemic, generational inequality?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      The Annoyed/Garhkal way!! Pretend it doesn't exist!

Comment

You begin by treating everyone equally. To do anything is is just continuing the problem.

Comment

I'm not defending discrimination.

I just read an article which words it better:

"“Americans who want to serve and can meet our standards should be afforded the opportunity to compete to do so,” he said. “After all, our all-volunteer force is built upon having the most qualified Americans. And the profession of arms is based on honor and trust.”"
                          Source: Transgender People Will Be Allowed to Serve Openly in Military

The military hasn't dropped their standards otherwise that would be a strange choice of words.

Not one requirement speaks of gender, religion or color of the skin:

NY Fire Service (US)
                          Vancouver Fire Service (Canada)
                          National Fire Brigade (UK)

I know there's one woman employed in the Airport Fire Brigade, and she's a force to be reckoned with, pretty much outdoing her male colleagues.

For the record, lowering standards so others can join is ridiculous at best, and I don't agree with the manner of working if it has been done. Equal means equal -- you really should know me better than that Annoyed.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a trap to track illegal gun sellers, it failed -horribly-.
                          Maybe they shouldn't named it "Fast & Furious".

Comment

You begin by treating everyone equally. To do anything is is just continuing the problem.
                            So, you just "level the playing field"?
                            How are you going to level that field, by saying "make it so"?
                            sigpic

Comment

It's not that simple. Consider the fact that the Black Americans in the workforce today are grandchildren of people who lived under Jim Crow laws; their fathers did not begin on a level playing field and neither did they. They do not, for the most part, have the wealth that runs in the family, or the networks of family connections that can advance them in life. Naturalized immigrants are at inherent economic disadvantage in many respects (I, for example, have spent 20 years having to work whichever job paid my rent, while people born in Israel lived with their parents until the army, then had their parents help them pay for their apartment until they finished uni and found the Good Job. The reason I still do more overtime than all other people in my department combined. Also the reason why I did not become a professional translator like I wanted - it's damn hard to combine full-time job and uni education). Other things being equal, they are much less likely - on average - to be able to afford the same education levels as white people of their generation, and they are more likely to be subjected to all kinds of residual stereotyping on behalf of employers. It's comforting to think that a rational businessman will hire the best programmer / travel agent / graphic designer based on their skills alone, but the truth of life is that people are not rational and discrimination of this kind happens all the time, sometimes even on a level the employer themselves is not fully aware of (if he has a subconscious dislike of a particular kind of people, he will spend more effort looking for flaws in their resume and character than he would if that person had a different skin color or ethnic origin or sexual orientation).

I can see some sense in affirmative action after a minority has been discriminated against for generations. It's not near-term fair, but there is a long-view fairness to it. Within sane limits, that is.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                It's not that simple. Consider the fact that the Black Americans in the workforce today are grandchildren of people who lived under Jim Crow laws; their fathers did not begin on a level playing field and neither did they. They do not, for the most part, have the wealth that runs in the family, or the networks of family connections that can advance them in life. Naturalized immigrants are at inherent economic disadvantage in many respects (I, for example, have spent 20 years having to work whichever job paid my rent, while people born in Israel lived with their parents until the army, then had their parents help them pay for their apartment until they finished uni and found the Good Job. The reason I still do more overtime than all other people in my department combined. Also the reason why I did not become a professional translator like I wanted - it's damn hard to combine full-time job and uni education). Other things being equal, they are much less likely - on average - to be able to afford the same education levels as white people of their generation, and they are more likely to be subjected to all kinds of residual stereotyping on behalf of employers. It's comforting to think that a rational businessman will hire the best programmer / travel agent / graphic designer based on their skills alone, but the truth of life is that people are not rational and discrimination of this kind happens all the time, sometimes even on a level the employer themselves is not fully aware of (if he has a subconscious dislike of a particular kind of people, he will spend more effort looking for flaws in their resume and character than he would if that person had a different skin color or ethnic origin or sexual orientation).

I can see some sense in affirmative action after a minority has been discriminated against for generations. It's not near-term fair, but there is a long-view fairness to it. Within sane limits, that is.
                                *Slow Clap*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X