This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Nope. If a skeleton is found, an investigation will be launched, analysis of the bones will be done to determine DNA, see if someone was missing, etc.
    But the point is that they're not going to charge someone without some sort of evidence besides the claims of an accuser. And you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      But the point is that they're not going to charge someone without some sort of evidence besides the claims of an accuser. And you know it.
      Sure, I do. Hell I am on your side thinking some of these accusations are literally like ''he said hello in a creepy way'' and just serves to destroy a man's life. I actually believe this might have happened with Kav, but again, I don't hold the truth, its my opinion. Remember when these allegations came out? If you recall I posted that I found they were quite convenient. And then the debate tumbled down into having an investigation or not.

That being said, if there are sufficient testimonies and victims involved it becomes impossible to deny, unless you suggest a global conspiracy (Weinstein, priests and cardinals that raped dozens of children, etc.).

Still it's better than the alternative. Rape would go unpunished like it has historically been. Now, at least, maybe Mr. Rapy Mc.Rape will think twice before slipping his jimmy in if he knows the consequences and character assassination that ensues.
      Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 03 December 2018, 10:51 AM.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Sure, I do. Hell I am on your side thinking some of these accusations are literally like ''he said hello in a creepy way'' and just serves to destroy a man's life. I actually believe this might have happened with Kav, but again, I don't hold the truth, its my opinion. Remember when these allegations came out? If you recall I posted that I found they were quite convenient. And then the debate tumbled down into having an investigation or not.

That being said, if there are sufficient testimonies and victims involved it becomes impossible to deny, unless you suggest a global conspiracy (Weinstein, priests and cardinals that raped dozens of children, etc.).

Still it's better than the alternative. Rape would go unpunished like it has historically been. Now, at least, maybe Mr. Rapy Mc.Rape will think twice before slipping his jimmy in if he knows the consequences and character assassination that ensues.
        I do remember you saying you had your doubts about the accusations against Kavanaugh.
        I don't deny that improper advances happen and continue to happen every day. Priests, the Rich and Powerful of all stripes are continually accused on an almost daily basis. So I have no doubt that it does happen.

But unless you want to abandon all pretense of having a justice system, and simply take the accusers word at face value, if you want to charge someone (or in Kavanaugh's case, derail his career, which he has pursued all his life) you need to have some actual, hard evidence that the accuser's words are true, particularly in situations where there is a very substantial and obvious motive for making false accusations.
        In Kavanaugh's case, not only was there such a powerful ulterior motive, but the evidence the accuser(s) were able to present wasn't even as strong as tissue paper. Yet, many wanted to destroy him based on nothing but the accusations.

The political left would like to expand this "word of the accuser is good enough" mentality. Look at the rules affecting misbehavior at college campuses that Obama put into place and Betsy DeVos recently repealed. Basically, the make was denied his day in court; simply the word of a female accuser were deemed to be sufficient to expel the male from school, with no court, no presumption of innocence, no trial, no nothing.

No, I'm sorry. I don't care if you're Kavanaugh or some kid at a party school, accusations of this sort need to be backed up by evidence and tried in open court. Otherwise, it's just "he said/she said", with the scales overwhelmingly tipped towards "she said".

Comment

Many, myself included, didn't want him in a lifetime position but that's something else. The problem is the half-assed mandate given to the FBI, it's always going to leave a doubt in people's mind. Again it shows how Trump can't stay idle and let the instances do their work. Same with the journalist, I bet the tinfoil hat merchants are having record sales right now.

Sure there are abuses of ladies seeing an opportunity. Could be for revenge, fame or money, but do you deny that generally speaking, the pervs gets exposed and the rape culture in certain spheres is changing for the better?
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

The political left would like to expand this "word of the accuser is good enough" mentality.
            you meant the precedent set by the neocons when they accused and indicted Weinstein & Cosby without proof?

Comment

Many, myself included, didn't want him in a lifetime position but that's something else. The problem is the half-assed mandate given to the FBI, it's always going to leave a doubt in people's mind. Again it shows how Trump can't stay idle and let the instances do their work. Same with the journalist, I bet the tinfoil hat merchants are having record sales right now.
              This was, in a nutshell, the entire reason for the whole Kavanaugh situation, accusations, etc. Many on the left couldn't stand the idea of a Conservative tipping the balance of the SCOTUS against the left, but there was no legitimate method to stop his confirmation, thanks the the DNC screwing up in 2016. So the found some woman with 35 year old incomplete memories and absolutely no proof whatsoever to use to attempt character assassination in the hopes of blocking him that way.

The hope was to block him on her unproven and unprovable accusation only. I'm very glad that it failed, and for myself, I have absolutely no doubts at all that justice was done.

But here's a hint. If you think that was a nasty fight, wait till you see what happens if another liberal justice retires or leaves the bench before 2021. As it stands now, the Democrats are even more helpless to stop another conservative nominee than they were before the election. Whatever stunt they pull to try to stop the next one is going to make this look like a squirt gun fight in recess.

Sure there are abuses of ladies seeing an opportunity. Could be for revenge, fame or money, but do you deny that generally speaking, the pervs gets exposed and the rape culture in certain spheres is changing for the better?
              Absolutely, changing the society so that men (and women) can't use their social power to force members of the opposite sex to bend to their will is a good thing.

But if you want to make accusations about any specific male or female, you had better have evidence to prove your case in a court of law.

Comment

Looks like a few other nations such as Australia are considering playing "follow the leader" concerning Trump's pulling the US out of climate deals.

'Trump Effect' is hurting Paris Agreement, says report

Maybe some other nations are starting to figure out that this deal is a money pit for them, just as it is the US?

'Damaging goodwill'
                The report also says goodwill at international negotiations has been damaged by Trump -- partly by his decision to end US contributions to the Green Climate Fund, which was set up to help developing countries reduce carbon emissions and adapt to climate change.

Since announcing its withdrawal, the US has remained involved in Paris Agreement negotiations. Curtin says the US has opposed any strict rules for reporting requirements around climate financing -- including the $100 billion per year that developed countries have promised to developing nations.
                "Overall the US is taking a very unsympathetic view to the whole financing debate and this has created a wedge between developed and developing countries," Curtin told CNN. "It has soured the spirit of collaboration you need between developed and developing countries at these sort of international negotiations."
                As usual, they want the US and other developed nations to not only participate in this deal which would be damaging to our economies, but they want us to pay for everyone else, too.

Good for the other nations that choose to see the light!

Comment

You do realize your posts are almost identical to Trump's tweet?

As for Australia's PM, maybe GF can confirm, I'm pretty sure his politics are similar to Trump' so no big surprise there.

What you are heading for is crisis management ($$$$) and YOU are going to pay for it. Now if you welcome this with open arms, maybe its time to consider booking an appointment for a summary mental examination.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

I don't pay attention to his tweets, I don't even have a twitter account. And I did not see one in the article I cited.

As for Australia's PM, maybe GF can confirm, I'm pretty sure his politics are similar to Trump' so no big surprise there.

What you are heading for is crisis management ($$$$) and YOU are going to pay for it. Now if you welcome this with open arms, maybe its time to consider booking an appointment for a summary mental examination.
                    Only if the THEORY that mankind is responsible for global cooling/warming/whatever they claim this week is accurate.
                    Since the Earth has been undergoing marked temperature swings for thousands of years, I rather doubt that theory is accurate.

Comment

Seriously man, it DOESN'T MATTER if mankind is responsible or not, don't you get it?

Fact : It is going to cost money (Check)
                      Fact : It is important to be prepared for crisis, emergencies etc. (Check)
                      Fact : Your argument is absolutely irrelevant (Check)
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Fact: Annoyed is still confused with the term of theory
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Seriously man, it DOESN'T MATTER if mankind is responsible or not, don't you get it?

Fact : It is going to cost money (Check)
                          Fact : It is important to be prepared for crisis, emergencies etc. (Check)
                          Fact : Your argument is absolutely irrelevant (Check)
                          Fact: If mankind is not the cause of this, and it is a natural process, nothing we can do is gonna stop it.

Comment

Fact: This position has already been disproven
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, given how fast we go through PM's lately...……….
                              But yes, the National Liberal party is currently holding office, and they are most certainly more akin to, perhaps not quite Trumpian, but more GOP positions on the subject.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                Well, given how fast we go through PM's lately...……….
                                But yes, the National Liberal party is currently holding office, and they are most certainly more akin to, perhaps not quite Trumpian, but more GOP positions on the subject.
                                Okay, I guess I would compare them to our conservatives in Canada.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X