This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I disagree. I believe the USA is one of the most if not the most unified country when it actually matters (in time of war or crisis). No other country can even come close to mobilize the level of military might or economic power that the US have in the same amount of time. Sure there are major internal issues such as ideological cleavage, but give it a few generations and most of the ''old-timers'' / right partisans will fade away. Patriotism and nationalism is not something the youth generally identifies to anymore.
    It's been almost 200 years since the Civil War, and people still fly the Confederate flag. How many generations should we give?

It's not a linear progression but a swinging pendulum.

But seriously dude, the US' problems are nothing compared to most of the European / ME / East-European countries. Terrorist strikes on a daily basis which serves the right radicals. Racism is systemic in France, Germany has an extreme-right party growing in numbers each year that could've won at the last elections, UK is leaving the EU, Russia is a joke in terms of human rights, you've got dictators left and right in Asia and Australians are busy fighting hordes of relentless 'roos.
    But that's the thing. Germany's problems are laughably small compared to those of the USA. American population is vastly more fragmented than any European one by any existing measure, from demographic compisition to socioeconomic gaps. It is laughable to compare USA's troubles with any seriousness to the rise of Germany's extreme-right party "that could've won elections" when the *******ed Trump is sitting in the White House and likely going to be re-elected for second term. And which other developed country you know where extreme-right wing groups run armed militias and openly talk about taking up arms against the government should something not be to their liking?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      It's been almost 200 years since the Civil War, and people still fly the Confederate flag. How many generations should we give?
      I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to me, the Confederate flag in this day and age stands for distrust of and if needed, rebellion against govt. authority, period.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      And which other developed country you know where extreme-right wing groups run armed militias and openly talk about taking up arms against the government should something not be to their liking?
      When you consider how this country was born, that shouldn't be surprising. As to the term "right wing", well, it sure as heck isn't going to be the left wing that objects to a large, overbearing, invasive and intrusive government. They favor big government and its intrusion on the lives of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to me, the Confederate flag in this day and age stands for distrust of and if needed, rebellion against govt. authority, period.
        and the states that most embrace it (Alabama, Georgia, Arizona etc.) happen to be the most ultra authoritarian ****holes go figure
        Last edited by SoulReaver; 18 November 2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Look I can respect the ideal behind the Confederate flag, representing freedom and such. I used to be a separatist myself for the same reasons. But, this flag also represents slavery and segregation so I wouldn't be too quick to endorse it.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

What is the ideal behind the Canadian flag? Love of maple syrup?
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              What is the ideal behind the Canadian flag? Love of maple syrup?
              That's classified, sorry.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Certainly, I had chemistry sets while growing up. Along with things like model rockets and many other things that could kill or maim.

But we were taught how and why to use such things safely back then, usually by our parents, who provided the money for such things, or outright gave them to us as gifts. Nowdays, you can't teach common sense.
                Sorry again, but I couldn't leave this ridiculous statement unanswered. You know why kids don't have these anymore right? Not because of your good ol'days when people had to walk 15 miles to school barefoot, but because after a while a few nerds figured out how to make bombs with them, picture a lil McKay going at it hard.

The goal was to generate interest in science to kids, as the US governance made a shift toward a technology-based economy and needed educated qualified workers.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Sorry again, but I couldn't leave this ridiculous statement unanswered. You know why kids don't have these anymore right? Not because of your good ol'days when people had to walk 15 miles to school barefoot, but because after a while a few nerds figured out how to make bombs with them, picture a lil McKay going at it hard.

The goal was to generate interest in science to kids, as the US governance made a shift toward a technology-based economy and needed educated qualified workers.
                  That doesn't track. Do you have an idea how many common substances can be used to make bombs?

Comment

That doesn't track. Do you have an idea how many common substances can be used to make bombs?
                    How common was that knowledge when you were a kid?
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Id also point out that when a person starts buying all such ingredients it raises a red flag to a store and the police. Like how an addict buys a bunch of cold medicine for a meth lab
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        How common was that knowledge when you were a kid?
                        Just as common as it is today. It's basic physics. We didn't have the internet, but we did have encyclopedias and such.

Comment

You are neglecting access
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            You are neglecting access
                            I'm not gonna post the details of making any kind of explosive. But is really quite simple to make one out of many different commonly available materials. Any numb-nut can put 2 & 2 together and come up with one.

Comment

Guess I'm not a numb-nut. Because when I put two 2 & 2 together...I come up with 4...not one!
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm not gonna post the details of making any kind of explosive. But is really quite simple to make one out of many different commonly available materials. Any numb-nut can put 2 & 2 together and come up with one.
                                Fair enough.

Simply put, giving chemistry kits to kids is a National security risk for many reasons, so yea sure it's understandable that in 2018 they don't have these at home anymore. You guys already have your hands full with gun control.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X