This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    What was that about civility in politics? Surely, not something the left believes in.
    Sorry for jumping in but simply looking at a political debates of BOTH parties is like watching a comedy or sitcom. Both parties are guilty of this, and you know damn well the US political arena is a circus.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I see your point, but in most people it does not lead to suicide. Good lord...I was bullied in middle school, but I'm still here. I didn't get depressed or anything of that nature. As an educator, I face similar harassment just for doing my job. So, yes, I will give you that verbal harassment can have ill psychological effects on people, but our civic leaders (whether appointed or elected) should have more than the mental fortitude to withstand being heckled in a restaurant.
    Absolutely, 100% agree. I was a skinny boy and bigger guys tried to bully me, turns out most of them are not so brave when physically confronted. Hey I know it's not the kind of advice you usually give to children, but if someone strikes you and you let him people will eventually walk all over you for the rest of your days. Timmy hits you with a stick? You hit Timmy back with a stick.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

And Trump is the clown
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        And Trump is the clown
        sigpic

Comment

Well... back to therapy.

*calls Dr. GF*
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Well... back to therapy.

*calls Dr. GF*
            No wonder you're so screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              No it's not. That is one of the stupidest things you've ever written here, frankly. Think through the implications before suggesting something like that.
              What? Do the job you are paid to do?
              If Politicians had regular meetings with their constituents, there would be no need to call them out in public, but they dodge that as much as they can -unless- they are doing a rally where they are the only ones speaking.
              As I recall, though, Republican congressmen HAVE been subject to both threats of violence and actual violence with knives and guns. Google 2017 Congressional baseball shooting, for starters.
              You mean the even I mentioned?
              Yes, yes they have, and it's in no way "better" because a (insert OTHER here) is the target.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                You still don't get it, all I am saying is that the Catholic Church is by far the most popular and spread religion, I'll leave the decision of what is and what isn't to you. When people think of Christianity they think about them.
                And that is entirely meaningless. It's easy to be the majority church when you use the inquisition, state based oppression, and war to spread and enforce your beliefs down the throats of anything with a heartbeat (as a related funny fact, early on Franciscan monks would even preach to animals...it's not as weird as it sounds but....anything with a heartbeat).

Lets see what your Pope had to say about that...
                My Pope? You mean the Antichrist that sits on the throne of the Whore of Babylon?

Let's take a practical example of the point I'm trying to make, which is the establishment in the real world of religion is never the same than what should be in theory. This verse is basically at the core of the extremists discourse:

In the proper context, you can understand that the verse prior to this one talks about treaties with allies and that idolaters went against their word and attacked Muslims and therefore 9.5 should not be considered as a call to arms.

Extremists groups use this rhetoric to fuel their propaganda and give credence and legitimacy to kill infidels. Again, the interpretation is the problem and 99% of Muslims are absolutely against that, doesn't change the fact that Islam, more specifically this verse, is used as a weapon by fanatics.

I don't care at all about what is your race, religion or whatever makes you you. The reality is, facts are, that countries that adopted Islam or Christianity in their legislature and daily activities are far away from this ''peace religion'' thing. I base my opinion on what I see, not what should be. In these countries you got...

Jailtime or get wacked for talking against the government
                Women are relayed to second-class citizens
                Insurgents groups
                Honor killings
                Forced marriages
                Religion police, aka people that go house to house to make sure everybody's a good Muslim

I do not see these elements in any country that is not a dictatorship and that is ruled by democracy and fair laws, do you? We all know how it was when the clergy had important roles in our society a few decades ago. My grandmother for instance was scolded at her very home at the age of 16 or so for not being pregnant soon enough. The priest would do his rounds and follow up to make sure she would get married soon. I don't know about you, but this is definitely not a world I want to live in and application of religion in real life is what this is.
                So what you are telling me is that dictatorships and non-democratic governments are evil? Great Scot!!! Someone should write a book about this!!!!

In all seriousness...ever heard the phrase "don't throw the baby out with the bath water"? So congratulations, there are some bad things and in dictatorships or any non-democratic government these things are used, in addition to the usual tools, to oppress people. All this means is that there should be a separation of church and state.

What helped corrupt what became the Catholic Church was the fact that Rome not only legalized Christianity, but they embedded it as a state religion. At that point the elite, the rulers, the ambitious powerful well known for their back stabbing and political intrigue found it advantageous to become clerics to gain favor in the empire. The Emperors also held immense sway over the Catholic Church such as who would become pope. In Fact if the Emperor didn't sign off on the pope, then the pope was not pope and Romans had to vote for a new one. What happened in Christianity is that the state and the church became one. That means the state with all its imperfections and the church with all its imperfections joined together and created even more imperfections.

The problem with Islam is that it has no sense of disestablishmentarianism. Once you allow for politics to have a say in religion or religion to play the game of politics...human nature takes over with greater impetus. If it is hard to keep an organized religion from going to the dark side, it is many more times harder to do so when that religion becomes an organ of the state.

Take a look at Turkey vs Iran. In Turkey Islam has a much weaker position within the state while the State is basically the "Mosque" (if you will). The more democratic a nation, the less crazy the "mosque". In reality, the more democratic any nation is, the more freedoms and equalities would exist. Which does bring some concerns regarding Israel and it's nation state law...

Buddhist nations are no different either. Myanmar genociding its Muslims? That's a Buddhist nation. Also, Abortion is strictly forbidden there too.

Most people are just afraid to speak out against it for fear of being labelled racist or Islamophobic just like you did.
                If you quack like a duck, don't be surprised that you are accused of being a duck.

What was that about civility in politics? Surely, not something the left believes in.
                This irony...It's too much...I'm sorry. Is a Trumper really asking for civility in politics?

A fine national example would be what Hillary came out with a few weeks back, which basically boils down to "We'll behave once we have power back".
                But not Trump...he's totally civil.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

How many time have I resorted to personal insults and such? How many times have you?
                  your own King & his party set the example how about you own up

A fine national example would be what Hillary came out with a few weeks back, which basically boils down to "We'll behave once we have power back".
                  a fine international example: the Resistants & their outrageous incivility toward the lawful authority of the Reich! they even killed people good Gestapo men can you believe that

Comment

How many time have I resorted to personal insults and such? How many times have you?
                    Surprisingly true, even impressive considering the barrage of left-enhanced nukes you are sustaining on a daily basis.

You're like the Dr. Zelenka of the right, polite guy but very loyal and oddly different from the bunch of monkeys he works with.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Did anyone see this? Ha ha ha

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...k1iMIczf9PztU0

Such a hamfisted effort....... Coming undone so easy
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        Surprisingly true, even impressive considering the barrage of left-enhanced nukes you are sustaining on a daily basis.

You're like the Dr. Zelenka of the right, polite guy but very loyal and oddly different from the bunch of monkeys he works with.
                        I'm not sure which is funnier, what annoyed said, or what you just said.
                        Womble posted an article about PC culture a few pages back about it being the Achillies heel of the left, and it's entirely correct. The left has been stomped on for decades, yet they have always tried to be inclusive, cross the aisle and co-operate, and for that they have been branded cucks and snowflakes, and to a degree, that's entirely correct.
                        Now however the left is using some of the rights tactics, and the right is hiding like cucks and snowflakes behind the "be nice" PC mentality of previous generations of the left. I TOLD people who frequent this thread for 2 years that they will not like the results when the left acted like the right.
                        A good example of this.
                        When Michelle Obama said "when they go low, we go high", the right laughed at her because they KNEW there would never be any consequences for their actions while that mentality remained, and went on to call her an ape at "best" and a "*******" with all the derisive connotations of the word front and centre.
                        Yet now, look how Annoyed brings up Hillary saying "we can't be civil with them anymore" and he is suddenly concerned that the left has had enough of being trodden on (while the right is perfectly allowed to start the TEA party and question the birth status of the POTUS under the slogan "don't tread on me").
                        It's not Annoyed I am annoyed at, it's the rank double standards and the sudden "concern" for the left being PC because that's what the left is supposed to do, stick to their principles while the right conveniently forgets their own.
                        Quite frankly, the right is the schoolyard bully who cries when the scrawny kid punches them back.
                        What -is- concerning is when that scrawny kid gets 15 of his buddies to beat up the bully and then becomes the bully themselves because the dirty little secret of politics is that it is NOT a flat line of Left or Right, but a circle wherein if you go too far in either direction, you end up in the same place, and that place is left or right wing extremism that only cares about crushing that which they view as different.
                        As for me "insulting" Annoyed, he's playing a game.
                        By couching everything in the generic, he can insult anyone and anything he wants without having to own up to how it can affect others, yet if they respond directly, he gets to play the victim card. It's not exactly a stunningly hard con job, but it is stunningly effective (as in "I'm stunned that works on people")
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          What? Do the job you are paid to do?
                          If Politicians had regular meetings with their constituents, there would be no need to call them out in public, but they dodge that as much as they can -unless- they are doing a rally where they are the only ones speaking.
                          Nonsense and you know it. If politicians did nothing but meet with constituents all day, it would still not be enough and the especially "concerned" citizens would still claim the right to harass them in their off duty hours.

Or do the politicians, in your book, have no off-duty time? Are they still "on the clock" when having dinner with their families and sleeping in their beds? Are there any other people in your book who have no off-duty time ever, and their job grants you right to treat them as not entitled to any level of privacy and personal space?

You mean the even I mentioned?
                          Yes, yes they have, and it's in no way "better" because a (insert OTHER here) is the target.
                          The thing is, that wasn't the only event. Republican congressmen have been punched, attacked with knives, they got threats to their lives and to lives of their families.

There were previous attempts to attack synagogues, btw, and it's interesting to watch the difference in coverage.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Womble posted an article about PC culture a few pages back about it being the Achillies heel of the left, and it's entirely correct. The left has been stomped on for decades, yet they have always tried to be inclusive, cross the aisle and co-operate, and for that they have been branded cucks and snowflakes, and to a degree, that's entirely correct.
                            Now however the left is using some of the rights tactics, and the right is hiding like cucks and snowflakes behind the "be nice" PC mentality of previous generations of the left. I TOLD people who frequent this thread for 2 years that they will not like the results when the left acted like the right.
                            You really missed the point of the article, haven't you?

The PC mentality wasn't "be nice"; it was preoccupation with identity politics ad absurdum.

And when oh when was the Left ever "nice"? They have forever advocated the attitude that so long as the "right-wing", "white", "cisgender" etc. could be described as having power, anything went because any uncivil and / or violent extremes of leftist behavior were justified by the imbalance of power. It is simply becoming harder for them to claim that there still remains an imbalance of power large enough to justify vile behavior, so the justifications are starting to shift.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              Did anyone see this? Ha ha ha

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...k1iMIczf9PztU0

Such a hamfisted effort....... Coming undone so easy
                              Looks like a botched effort to "Kavanaugh" him to me.

Oh, but wait a minute. Isn't the mere accusation sufficient to derail his career? The left seemed to think so when we were talking about Kavanaugh.

Comment

You mean "inclusive and cooperative" as long as you agree with them.

If you have the audacity to disagree with them, they do whatever is necessary to silence you. If you doubt me, look at the efforts to silence conservatives at colleges, universities and such.
                                Last edited by Annoyed; 31 October 2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X