This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

True, but they are from a political viewpoint, with little religion mixed in.

Well that's lucky because this has nothing to do with religion. Point me to a line in any religious text that says trans women must use the men's room because someone ticked the wrong box on the birth certificate.

The only reason they're calling this the "religious freedom" act is because religious groups have a certain amount of protection to practice their religion in ways that might otherwise contradict the laws of the state.

Like discriminating against an entire subset of the population for example.

Comment

Its just the same old of people using religion for their own power agenda. The sad thing is how these acts paint a bad picture of religions that is not true.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Its just the same old of people using religion for their own power agenda. The sad thing is how these acts paint a bad picture of religions that is not true.
        The picture it paints of the US isn't looking so good either..

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

People travelling from the UK are now being warned about the new anti-LGBT laws..

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
          So God made sure all the animals are fed, magically?

What?

A Wizard did it?
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Meh. I'm used to anti-American comments
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Meh. I'm used to anti-American comments
              You shouldn't have to be.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Their is a lot of things in this world we have to put up with but shouldn't
                Jelgate is right

Comment

So God made sure all the animals are fed, magically?

Yes. I mean...didn't Jesus feed thousands with just 3 fish and just as much bread? Bread crums if I remember correctly. Then there's the old testament. When the Hebrews left Egypt and wondered in the desert (They refused to ask for directions) food fell from the freakin' sky. Meat too. Then fast forward and there is a story about a widow whose pot of oil never ran out of oil, nor did a 1 day's worth of grain run out during a prolonged famine.

The Bible does say that Noah took in all the food for everyone. It's safe to say that this food would self replicate just like the above examples. As for the work of feeding. Some people have come up with some clever mechanisms for feeding all of those animals without resorting to modern technologies, but the Bible doesn't care about that detail because it's not germane to the message and symbolism of the event. That's the whole lack of precision in ancient writing thing. That same symbolism only requires that certain kinds of animals be represented in the ark, not that all of them needed to be in the ark in order to exist in some form after the flood.

And as for bugs and germs, the Hebrew used indicates creatures that breath through nostrils were brought in two by two. The writers didn't care for recording anything about bugs and germs. So they are simply not mentioned. I mean these answers aren't hard to come by. What is difficult is trying to use "science" to explain everything where it isn't a prerequisite because...Godly Miracles.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Technically, it would be via miracle
                  Yeah, I was trying to make a point. So called Creationist Scientists tend to forget that sort of thing when responding to skeptics. At some point you have to remember. We are talking about God here. The laws of nature need not apply all the time.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I have a serious question now:

what's with all the "religious freedom act" bills I keep hearing about? What are the religious people among us so afraid of?
                  Perception is key. No matter what you argue, saying that someone who doesn't want anything to do with gay marriages has to take part of it by being forced to make gay wedding cakes isn't the best way to assuage fears regarding the issue.

Many people don't mind selling stuff to gay people. But the perception was that gay people are forcing, for example, Christian bakers to partake in their weddings. That was enough to remind people of the so called "gay agenda" that certain radio/TV personalities keep ranting about. Add the whole notion of "War against Christmas" and the perception of anti-Christian bias in general, and you have that fear. Fear that people aren't content with disagreeing but want to force you into participating in things they don't believe in.

This was triggered by two events. That one lady who refused to certify a marriage certificate. And the one bakery that was sued because it didn't want to make gay wedding cakes (though they didn't mind selling stuff to gay people, they just didn't want to participate with the wedding thing).

It's probably a political question too but I don't want the political viewpoint, I would like the religious viewpoint (for some possibly the same but still).
                  You are right, there is very little theology involved here, though it is based on fears regarding the exercise of one's religion. Those events gave people cause for concern, and proved to them what they have been told all along by those...personalities.

But here's my point of view. If I were the lady, I probably would have wanted the language regarding the certification process to be clear that I am acting as an agent of the state and not an individual condoning a marriage I didn't believe in. As for the baker, It'd be the same thing. I don't want to give "testimony" that I am condoning or agreeing with the activity. Don't expect me to say "Congratulations!" But beyond that, I don't see much of an issue with certifying the marriage or selling a cake.

I am not too concerned with a country being Christian. But if it wants to claim to be Christian, it must be defined by what it does to help others, not what it doesn't allow some to do. In essence, it is not possible to have a Christian country, for a nation to follow the commandments would suffer much the same way that an individual Christian would. Yes I am concerned with living in a country whose laws are not immoral. But there is what I want, and what can work. Two different things.

As for others, a lot of people fail to separate their religion from their politics. Their church from their country. Some don't even realize that what they believe has little to do with Jesus and Bible and a lot more to do with conservatism and the profane world of politics.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

You mean supply side Jesus there Tood
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

According to Supply Side Jesus he doesn't heal the sick but encourages them to get private health cover.

Did I read that right?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        According to Supply Side Jesus he doesn't heal the sick but encourages them to get private health cover.

Did I read that right?
                        Close, he will heal the sick, as long as they pay him, because if he did it for free, they would become dependant on him.
                        sigpic

Comment

Its a cake for crying out loud, just bake it and sell it, youre not condoning the marriage, just providing a cake, a service that you are advertising
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Tood.
                            Can't green you so have a little virtual green.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Close, he will heal the sick, as long as they pay him, because if he did it for free, they would become dependant on him.

Ah so Supply Side Jesus is a capitalist

Comment

Its a cake for crying out loud, just bake it and sell it, youre not condoning the marriage, just providing a cake, a service that you are advertising
                                Exactly.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X