No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pet peeve concerning packages backfired majorly with my last online shopping spree.

I'm always annoyed when buying different items from the same seller, which are available in stock, are send in different packages. So when I ordered series 11 of Doctor Who, the soundtrack and pre-ordered the New Year special, I was expecting Amazon to send me the DVD and the CD in one package at the end of January and the NY special in another at the end of February.

But nope... instead of getting multiple packages, I get one, at the end of February... all three items in one go. Just this once, 2 packages would have been great! I regret cursing those different packages, I swear... -- why must I wait even longer now...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thank you all for resurrecting this Pet peeve topic...
      I got a gripe with oncoming cars with headlights too bright at night. This actually started a few years ago, while sitting at a traffic light. The car headlights opposite my side of the road were either too bright, or the drivers had their high beams on and refused to lower them with street lights lit all around them. Jeeze!

Now, many vehicles come with DOUBLE headlights as what was supposed to be FOG lights and "yellow" are now doubling as "driving" lights and are bright white. On top of that are the vehicles where drivers turn on their HIGH beams, because 4 headlamps just aren't enough or bright enough! This is dangerous to the drivers in front who cannot see in their rearview or side mirrors any more, because the lights are just too dang bright and blinding!

All our life we get told by experts to NOT look at the sun because it can blind you; but now with night driving, those 3 light sets of bright whites are almost as blinding as looking at the sun. Either people need to be re-educated on how to drive with their low beams on, MINUS the FOG/driving lights when there is NO fog, or the manufacturers need to tone down the intensity or degree level of these blinding lights! Over half of the cars that have replaced their yellow fog lights with white driving lights, either continuously use them plus the regular headlights, or use all 3 regular + white (fog) "driving" lights + HIGH beams. Need to wear sunglasses at night! But those don't work when no cars are around.

I've heard other people complain about this same problem with the extra head lights and intensity levels, so I know it isn't just me or my imagination. Not everyone can continue driving under these conditions (my cousin had to stop driving at night because of "night blindness"), but some people have to travel during the dark of night, so they have no choice; and taking a bus or other transport method is NOT an option.

Even staring at LED red tail-lights at night for more than 30 seconds can cause an opposite color effect. I had that happen a few times, which blinded me into seeing Green spots wherever the red light spots were. This lasted 2 minutes while driving further down the road. When I tried to read the green signs, I saw nothing but green writing because the red spots--now green spots were right where the sign's letters were. I told the eye doctor this, and he said it is an unfortunate side effect of the LED lights and growing older.

Okay, so I block the red tail-lights now, but I also have to block out as much as possible the bright white lights either in front or behind me, too. If I have to do this, how many other drivers have to alter their views while driving to avoid getting night blindness...?

Comment

Oh, Falcon Horus, I could tell you stories about working for Amazon that would make you hair turn grey...

For a multi-national company that makes billions of dollars, they're notoriously tightfisted when it comes to buying in equipment and supplies.

If for example, they ran out of cable ties, rather than just buying more stock, they'd phone/email around other Amazon warehouses and see if they could spare any and have them sent over.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

People that exit the bus from the main door, preventing others from embarking.

People that blast disgusting reggae-ton music in the morning during a 1 hour long bus ride.

People that talk loudly on their phone in the bus.

People that take the bus.

People.

The bus.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            People that exit the bus from the main door, preventing others from embarking.

People that blast disgusting reggae-ton music in the morning during a 1 hour long bus ride.

People that talk loudly on their phone in the bus.

People that take the bus.

People.

The bus.
            Overly verbose lizards.

Only one word needed.

People.

Comment

This is why I don't ride the bus. That and I live in the country
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                Thank you all for resurrecting this Pet peeve topic...
                I got a gripe with oncoming cars with headlights too bright at night. This actually started a few years ago, while sitting at a traffic light. The car headlights opposite my side of the road were either too bright, or the drivers had their high beams on and refused to lower them with street lights lit all around them.
                I've noticed that too.
                For cars in the left lane while driving at night, I prop my elbow on the window sill and lower my arm until the hand blocks the headlights in the side-view mirror.

One time I saw a car with a panel that had a series of lights on the grill. It looked something like this:

ooooooooooooo
                ooooooooooooo
                ooooooooooooo
                ooooooooooooo

All we can do is avoid the lights as best as possible.
                Total syffy posts: 36,690
                (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                Matthew 5:9

Comment

yes I see a lot of cars these days that look like KITT got blinged out

Comment

Idiot "journalists" (and I use the term in its loosest sense) who take a nonsense story, and blow it up out of all proportion.

Apparently, an academic in the US has got it into his head that the "Step in Time" song and dance sequence from Disney's 1964 film "Mary Poppins" is racist because the characters are in "blackface" - IE the soot from
                    the chimneys.

The world's going to hell in a handcart, and this is what people are concerned about?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4056126.html
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Just a convenient hook for some idiot to hang his byline on, that's all. The standards of the day were far different. And although I'm not gonna get into it, this applies to Northam, too.

Comment

Yeah, so the film is over 50 years old, and the books it's based on are over 70 years old.

Never mind "The past is another country", the 1930s are another planet.
                        sigpic

Comment

How about he guy behind you while you are driving at night ? And his BRIGHTS are on, not just the normal lights but the ultra bright ones, and I'm not talking the newfangled LED lights either. These suckers are so bright I could turn my OWN lights off and let him show me the way home

If there is a reason to NOT have a center placed rearview mirror in the windshield, that is it

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                            How about he guy behind you while you are driving at night ? And his BRIGHTS are on, not just the normal lights but the ultra bright ones, and I'm not talking the newfangled LED lights either. These suckers are so bright I could turn my OWN lights off and let him show me the way home

If there is a reason to NOT have a center placed rearview mirror in the windshield, that is it
                            maybe they would learn their lesson after someone returns the favor by firing off a magnesium flare point blank right in their face

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Some years ago, I had a pickup truck with a bed rack on it, and I had rear-facing bright lights to facilitate trailer connecting and other activities behind the truck at night.

It was a really nice way to deal with those folks.

Comment

I go to bed at night, I get all comfy and cozy, I'm just on the verge of drifting off to sleep, when... Something starts itching.

Itchy head, itchy foot, itchy tummy, itchy leg. Or worst of all - the dreaded itchy bum!
                                Last edited by BruTak; 10 February 2019, 11:51 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X