Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public bloody transport!

I went for my first COVID vaccine jag, and it's quite a tale.

Woke up just after 6am. Decided to get up and get on with things as my alarm was due to go off at seven *anyway*.

Had a nice nourishing breakfast, listened to the radio, read a few pages of my book.

Made myself presentable. Made sure I had everything I needed - glasses, wallet, keys, phone, bag for shopping, and - most importantly - my letter telling me where and what time to get my jag. The town hall in the next town along, 9am. Twenty minutes or so on the bus.

Left the house just after 8am and walked to the bus stop, getting there just after quarter past, and waited for the bus.

And waited.

And waited.

Twenty minutes later, a bus for the service I need goes by in the other direction.
    "Great," I say to myself, "that means there should be one going my way fairly soon."

No such luck.

I waited until quarter past nine until, cold, fed up, and muttering curses against the bus company, I phoned for a taxi.

Got to the vaccination centre just after half nine.

Queued for a wee while, got my jag (the Oxford-AstraZeneca one) from a nice young lady doctor, bish bosh, job done, and out again in maybe twenty minutes.

Did a little bit of shopping in the nearby Tesco, waited at the bus stop for a while, several buses go by, none of them any good to me.
    I was on the point of heading to the train station when the bus I needed finally showed up.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Public bloody transport!

I went for my first COVID vaccine jag, and it's quite a tale.

Woke up just after 6am. Decided to get up and get on with things as my alarm was due to go off at seven *anyway*.

Had a nice nourishing breakfast, listened to the radio, read a few pages of my book.

Made myself presentable. Made sure I had everything I needed - glasses, wallet, keys, phone, bag for shopping, and - most importantly - my letter telling me where and what time to get my jag. The town hall in the next town along, 9am. Twenty minutes or so on the bus.

Left the house just after 8am and walked to the bus stop, getting there just after quarter past, and waited for the bus.

And waited.

And waited.

Twenty minutes later, a bus for the service I need goes by in the other direction.
      "Great," I say to myself, "that means there should be one going my way fairly soon."

No such luck.

I waited until quarter past nine until, cold, fed up, and muttering curses against the bus company, I phoned for a taxi.

Got to the vaccination centre just after half nine.

Queued for a wee while, got my jag (the Oxford-AstraZeneca one) from a nice young lady doctor, bish bosh, job done, and out again in maybe twenty minutes.

Did a little bit of shopping in the nearby Tesco, waited at the bus stop for a while, several buses go by, none of them any good to me.
      I was on the point of heading to the train station when the bus I needed finally showed up.
      yeah sometimes public transportation is so unreliable that you actually wind up getting to the destination faster on foot

Comment

Congrats!

Also... boo public transport.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's just under 24 hours since I had my jag, and I'm feeling ok. No side effects, just the usual aches and pains for a man of my age.

All being well, I should receive the second dose towards the end of May.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

All being well, I should receive the second dose towards the end of May.
            If I'm lucky... which at the moment, I know we're not... I'll be getting my first jab around that time, unless J&J gets approved, then it might be my only jab.

Comment

I know it's a classic but the government with the vaccine. I'm getting real angry that as an essential worker I keep on getting shoved down the list for people aren't as high as me. First it was teachers now its the elderly. I'm surrounded by people all day with many not even following the guidelines
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I tried to upload a picture but got this message:

20210316_185138.jpg
                Upload failed due to your usergroup's upload quota. This file will require 713.3 KB but you only have 236.7 KB of 2.88 MB remaining.

I didn't know that I have a usergroup. Couldn't find any reference to that in my profile or settings.
                Anyone know what this is all about? Maybe an upgrade bug?

Total syffy posts: 36,690
                (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                Matthew 5:9

Comment

I've been thinking a great deal about these so-called "vaccine passports" that Boris and his merry chums are waffling on about.

They're still trying to decide what form the thing will eventually take, and God only knows how much of the taxpayer's money will eventually wind up spaffed against the wall and/or quietly go into the offshore bank accounts of Tory party bigwigs.

But however it eventually turns out - if at all - they'd better make damn sure the whatever-it-is is nigh on impossible for counterfeiters to duplicate.
                  sigpic

Comment

Right, let me get this straight.

We've got satellites that can read a newspaper headline from orbit, and yet the CCTV in Manchester (the one in England) apparently can't ID any of the a-holes who left their garbage in a public park yesterday?
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking a great deal about these so-called "vaccine passports" that Boris and his merry chums are waffling on about.
                      Europe has a digital one in the making.

However, it should be noted that, I think at least, when you go on tropical vacation which require vaccinations against the tropical diseases, that you have to proof you're good for it.

It's probably something similar. Proof you've been vaccinated, tested negative 48h before take off or have immunisation from a recent infection.

At the moment I have none of the above, and I'm not eager to get a stick up my nose to tickle my childhood memories to show a negative test... so no travelling abroad for me this year either.

Comment

Am I the only one who has the good manners to actually acknowledge text messages and emails these days?

I need some help getting stuff off a high shelf in a walk in cupboard in what was my mum's sitting room, and don't feel comfortable being up a ladder that's older than I am if there's no one else about - just in case I fell and broke my neck...

So I texted my brother nearly two weeks ago and asked if he could stop by one evening after his work to give me a hand for half an hour or so.

No response.

Spoke to him and my sis-in-law about it when I was over at their place for Easter, and was told he'd come down on Easter Monday after he'd been golfing.

Easter Monday came and went.
                        Tuesday, nothing.
                        Wednesday, nothing.
                        Thursday, nothing,
                        Yesterday, Friday, nothing.
                        Today, Saturday, nothing.

It's bloody annoying, because if he needed my help with something, I'd have to drop everything and get it done now.
                        But because it's me that needs his help, he drags his feet about it.

Not for the first time, I find myself wondering just how much of my time has been wasted in hanging around waiting for other people.
                        sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one who has the good manners to actually acknowledge text messages and emails these days?

I need some help getting stuff off a high shelf in a walk in cupboard in what was my mum's sitting room, and don't feel comfortable being up a ladder that's older than I am if there's no one else about - just in case I fell and broke my neck...

So I texted my brother nearly two weeks ago and asked if he could stop by one evening after his work to give me a hand for half an hour or so.

No response.

Spoke to him and my sis-in-law about it when I was over at their place for Easter, and was told he'd come down on Easter Monday after he'd been golfing.

Easter Monday came and went.
                          Tuesday, nothing.
                          Wednesday, nothing.
                          Thursday, nothing,
                          Yesterday, Friday, nothing.
                          Today, Saturday, nothing.

It's bloody annoying, because if he needed my help with something, I'd have to drop everything and get it done now.
                          But because it's me that needs his help, he drags his feet about it.

Not for the first time, I find myself wondering just how much of my time has been wasted in hanging around waiting for other people.
                          bet if you started charging your brother for your time since you're feeling more like the hired help than family those calls for your help would stop PDQ

Comment

My desktop died. I hate using a laptop until new desktop arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post

bet if you started charging your brother for your time since you're feeling more like the hired help than family those calls for your help would stop PDQ
                              I'm still bloody waiting.

Since lockdown restrictions in Scotland will be easing a bit from Monday, I may just ask my neighbour from upstairs to give me a hand.
                              At most it'll take twenty minutes, maybe half an hour.
                              sigpic

Comment

Vaccine envy -- it's real and it's fast approaching pet peeve levels...

Comment

Working...
                                X