Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    they're quite annoying....know what I do? say "Thanks I have something for you too" and give them some printouts from the Catholic answers website....that usually sends them running probably like "oh noes a Catholic!"
    Heh, once I was part of a LARP group and dressed as a monk and held my Warhammer bookunder one arm and when the JW came to the door I replied "Let me show you my religon", but it was nothing as funny as a streaking blood red paintball streaked across their SUV windshield!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
      they're quite annoying....know what I do? say "Thanks I have something for you too" and give them some printouts from the Catholic answers website....that usually sends them running probably like "oh noes a Catholic!"
      !! A Catholic! *runs away*

And stay away from my cats! I don't care how much you like them!

I was stopped by one of the God Squad in town, he wanted to talk about The New Adventures of Jesus or something... but he stopped me on the level crossing.. on the tracks I could see a train in the station

I really wanted to tie him to the tracks and twirl my moustache as the train ran over him.. but there were too many people around.. and I don't have a moustache..

Comment

Religious proselytizing in any shape or form. Quite frankly, it should be illegal. Offering information to those who seem interested is one thing, but threatening eternal damnation if you don't believe as they do is simply wrong. JWs and Mormons will usually leave you alone if they see you're genuinely happy with your life, but they'll come down like a ton of bricks on the emotionally needy.
        sigpic

Comment

But they have that freedom of religion thing to protect them..

Somehow that's more important than freedom from religion.. if you complain about them that makes you the bad guy Never mind the zealot trying to force their religion on others.. it's the person just trying to go about their day that is in the wrong

I'll tie one of them to the tracks one day.. then twirl my moustache and laugh

I should get a cape ...And a moustache...

Comment

It works both ways PH
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't stand on the level crossing trying to talk people into leaving their religion..

Comment

And I don't try to convert you but I have seen atheists belittle those who follow a religion. Hence why I said it goes both ways
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  It works both ways PH
                  It does. It's not the belief system, it's the individuals within it. I don't push my beliefs on anyone and prefer to have the same respect given to me. What annoys me is that I know if I posted Wiccan things on FB, for example, I'd get all kinds of negative comments, but my friends are able to post "God loves you" without a thought.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    And I don't try to convert you but I have seen atheists belittle those who follow a religion. Hence why I said it goes both ways
                    exactly.....those who peacefully proclaim their faith in public have the right to do so.....just as one also has the right to say their peace and say that they're not interested in what the preacher is selling and move on.....now if the preacher tries to chase after the person after that person has said their case then it becomes a case of harassment that said preacher can be arrested for

Comment

Not all that long ago, someone started doing what can best be described as an impromptu yet recurring religious discussion, almost a bible study, in the office where I worked. As in, the office had three or four people working at multiple desks, and a small conference table in the center that made the room the de facto hub of activity both social and work-related for the department.

So this guy comes in and in the course of talking about work with one of my co-workers, he starts off on this tangent about Christianity and how to properly live one's life as a devout Christian. The gal he'd been talking with was totally on-board (she's actively Christian), one other was politely but actively curious, and then there were myself and my other co-worker, neither of us Christian. And after the first session, he started coming back and carrying on similar discussions, almost as though he thought he was teaching adult Sunday School.

To say it was awkward would be an understatement. I've no problem with people wanting to discuss their religion and even with them discussing it over lunch or something in the workplace, but save it for the cafeteria or something where you can take a table with like-minded lunchmates and talk to your heart's content. It isn't really appropriate for a room in which others are trying to work and cannot just get up and walk away. I certainly wouldn't carry on a similar discussion in relation to my faith in an environment like that.

As a member of a minority faith (Unitarian-Universalist, eclectic Pagan/Wiccan with overtones of Buddhist thought -- eclectic enough for you?) I felt decidedly out of place... only it wasn't me who was out of place as I was sitting there Getting Stuff Done. It was the discussion that was out of place.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                        Not all that long ago, someone started doing what can best be described as an impromptu yet recurring religious discussion, almost a bible study, in the office where I worked. As in, the office had three or four people working at multiple desks, and a small conference table in the center that made the room the de facto hub of activity both social and work-related for the department.

So this guy comes in and in the course of talking about work with one of my co-workers, he starts off on this tangent about Christianity and how to properly live one's life as a devout Christian. The gal he'd been talking with was totally on-board (she's actively Christian), one other was politely but actively curious, and then there were myself and my other co-worker, neither of us Christian. And after the first session, he started coming back and carrying on similar discussions, almost as though he thought he was teaching adult Sunday School.

To say it was awkward would be an understatement. I've no problem with people wanting to discuss their religion and even with them discussing it over lunch or something in the workplace, but save it for the cafeteria or something where you can take a table with like-minded lunchmates and talk to your heart's content. It isn't really appropriate for a room in which others are trying to work and cannot just get up and walk away. I certainly wouldn't carry on a similar discussion in relation to my faith in an environment like that.

As a member of a minority faith (Unitarian-Universalist, eclectic Pagan/Wiccan with overtones of Buddhist thought -- eclectic enough for you?) I felt decidedly out of place... only it wasn't me who was out of place as I was sitting there Getting Stuff Done. It was the discussion that was out of place.
                        Not sure about the Unitarian-Universalist aspect, but other than that, that about sums me up, with hints of my Protestant upbringing thrown in for good measure.

That is totally inappropriate for work during working hours.

Pet peeve: When you are told you can get a second opinion (oh, thank you, Mommy Home Warranty Company!) on your (non-scorched) lightning-struck air conditioner motor, then, when the company can finally come out a week later, you call the home warranty company who says, "We don't have authorization for a second opinion on file. You'll have to call the authorization department." REALLY? Authorization department? Is there a toilet paper department, too? WTH? Now, I have to wait 25 minutes for the authorization department to open before I can call the guy who's supposed to come by today to look at my a/c motor (with the extremely faint hope that he can fix it, today, too).
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Well, for the sake of clarity, here's Unitarian-Universalism explained.

Spoiler:
                          And I was raised LCA Lutheran (one of the Lutheran branches that became part of the modern ELCA). I left Christianity for Paganism/Wicca in my late twenties, however, and found my way into UUism at 31 or so. The neat thing there is that they encompass, welcome and celebrate Pagan and Buddhist thought along with a number of other faith paths, so it truly feels like home to me.

Good luck on the air conditioning!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

People at work who think they can make a scene in front of everyone. Unpleasant one, you're not above me so mind your own business and go take your medication...*growl*
                            Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
                            Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

People that steal other peoples work and then credit the wrong person thus forcing the original creator to limit access to their creations.

Geeze people! Ruin it for the other 33K subscribers to the guy! Nice going!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

When people don't let things go. I know life is tough but sometimes you just have to let it go, stop being so stubborn and miserable, and make best with what you have, and most importantly don't take it out on someone who cares about you.
                                Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

Working...
                                X