Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    That isn't at all what "trickle-down" economics refers to, MG. "Trickle-down" economics refers to putting more money into the hands of the already-wealthy with the idea that it will then "trickle down" to everyone else. It isn't a product of anything to do with FDR and it has nothing to do with stimulus from taxes, either. It's a term coined by Will Rogers in the 1920s, but it really came to the fore in the 1980s.

Basically, it was the mantra of the Reagan years, as it was popularized as an economic strategy during his administration. And it has NEVER worked. Stimulus spending, however, has a proven record of positive results when done correctly. (Done incorrectly, all it does is prolong an already-problematic economic situation.)

To learn more: read this. (non-partisan explanation of the theory, with pros and cons)
    23% of all wealth generated in the US goes to 1% of the population.
    Trickle down is a fail because it assumes people are not greedy.
    http://www.deandeluca.com/glace-luxury-ice.aspx
    This is unrestrained capitalism, at it's FINEST.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

That isn't at all what "trickle-down" economics refers to, MG. "Trickle-down" economics refers to putting more money into the hands of the already-wealthy with the idea that it will then "trickle down" to everyone else. It isn't a product of anything to do with FDR and it has nothing to do with stimulus from taxes, either. It's a term coined by Will Rogers in the 1920s, but it really came to the fore in the 1980s.

Basically, it was the mantra of the Reagan years, as it was popularized as an economic strategy during his administration. And it has NEVER worked. Stimulus spending, however, has a proven record of positive results when done correctly. (Done incorrectly, all it does is prolong an already-problematic economic situation.)

To learn more: read this. (non-partisan explanation of the theory, with pros and cons)
      did you actually read the whole thing I posted? I'm guessing not.....I didn't say they had the same mechanism of action...all I said was that Herbert Hoover's method (which I mentioned trickle-down as being HIS method, not FDR's) and FDR's method both relied on government money, which leads to deficit spending in some way, the mechanism of action though was different between the 2 methods...and the mechanism of action in the first method wasn't even a good short-term solution, let alone long term, and the mechanism in the second method at least provided a decent short-term solution, though given the fact that FDR's method was beginning to collapse prior to the productivity and innovation of WW2 that eventually provided true economic recovery, it was clear that government stimulus could never be the aegis for long-term economic recovery.

Try reading the whole post next time instead of taking snippets out of context

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        yeah that's the other part of the problem...we're far too generous I think to the illegals, slapping the face of people trying to get into our country legally in the process

and "trickle-down" (an idea born of I believe Herbert Hoover) and FDR' "pump-priming" both had a fatal flaw....they both relied on government stimulus money in some way, shape or form...and where do you think that money came from? taxes....so basically both methods resulted in robbing Peter to pay Paul
        This.

Oh, and my air conditioning unit just made it to the pet peeves list. Again. Broken. Again. You know, the brand new one that is just over a year old. And yes, I'm in Florida, so it's still hot and is still necessary.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

The people who fix the air-conditioners. No, I don't mind waiting until Monday. It was only 85F in my house last night...
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

People who blast halfway into the intersection before stopping at stop signs. Are they going to stop or not?

Comment

pedestrians who don't have the common sense to stop and look both ways before blundering on out into the crosswalk and bicyclists who don't follow the rules of the road (they're vehicles and must follow the same rules of the road cars do)

Comment

Motorcyclists who don't look and cut right out in front of you. Sans helmets, of course.
                sigpic

Comment

People who really do not know when to call it quits. Once more I got annoyed by someone I will not name. I was so hacked off and treated like trash for three years, I will NOT get back into that, don't even bother to apologise freak! You nearly drove me to the mental ward through three years of faking being my friend and 'sister' in public then treating me like complete trash in private and forcing me to do things your way or not at all. I'm done with you. Consider our friendship, whatever it was, ended. If I see you I'll try to kill you, So pray to never meet me.

I'll shut up

PS: Yes I am that mad right now

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

..............boy. That makes my Peeve of having to clip my toenails cause they get snagged in my socks seem kinda lame...
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      People who really do not know when to call it quits. Once more I got annoyed by someone I will not name. I was so hacked off and treated like trash for three years, I will NOT get back into that, don't even bother to apologise freak! You nearly drove me to the mental ward through three years of faking being my friend and 'sister' in public then treating me like complete trash in private and forcing me to do things your way or not at all. I'm done with you. Consider our friendship, whatever it was, ended. If I see you I'll try to kill you, So pray to never meet me.

I'll shut up

PS: Yes I am that mad right now
                      Oh, dear. {{HUGS}} Sorry someone has cheesed you off that bad, Princess A.

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                      ..............boy. That makes my Peeve of having to clip my toenails cause they get snagged in my socks seem kinda lame...

Mine is also about people who don't know when to call it quits. They bug you until you want to scream, but good manners prevent you. For a time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Frankly, the only reason most people would choose to work past what normally would be retirement age is if they don't have enough money to retire. I'll probably be one of them, unless I get very lucky. I was born in the last six months of the Baby Boom and am a relatively long way from retirement age, but because the whole "great jobs" thing began to go away right around the time I was finishing college (for the first time) I've never been in a position to save up anything toward my eventual retirement.

That right there is a peeve of mine, in fact. The idea of "trickle-down" economics began to be floated when I was in high school and was as full of bovine excrement then as it is today. Some of us recognized that and had the scary feeling we were about to be screwed, but we also hoped it would be over with a lot sooner than this and there'd be some time for recovery before we were even into our middle years. Boy, were we ever over-optimistic!

(And yeah, I know none of that helps your generation any. What's needed is an overhaul of the economic model such that there is enough work and enough resources for everyone, and it isn't being hoarded by any one group.)

..sure is. It's political hype. If the gov can keep people polarized on issues with politically charged slogans, it keeps people blinded to the real issues. Quantitative easing, dwindling natural resources, environmental devastation, overpopulation, religious extremism, et cetera are issues of vast importance which are being swept under the rug. Special interests are deciding policy these days.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                          Oh, dear. {{HUGS}} Sorry someone has cheesed you off that bad, Princess A.

Mine is also about people who don't know when to call it quits. They bug you until you want to scream, but good manners prevent you. For a time.
                          you had a run-in with Jehova's Witnesses?

Comment

you had a run-in with Jehova's Witnesses?
                            I wish!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              I wish!
                              they're quite annoying....know what I do? say "Thanks I have something for you too" and give them some printouts from the Catholic answers website....that usually sends them running probably like "oh noes a Catholic!"

Comment

they're quite annoying....know what I do? say "Thanks I have something for you too" and give them some printouts from the Catholic answers website....that usually sends them running probably like "oh noes a Catholic!"
                                I used to tell them that I worship the Goddess, but then they'd just yap more, trying to "save my immortal soul". Now, I just ignore the door if I know they're in the neighborhood, or I tell them, "I'm good". It really cheeses me off to feel like I have to explain myself since I'm not a Jehovah's. If any other religion or branch of a religion did what they do, they'd probably be labeled "extremist". You don't see Wiccans or Muslims or Buddhists knocking on peoples' doors. Grrr...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X