Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    As I understand it, very few homes in Florida have basements, due to a high water table?

Around here, most houses do have basements, and very often have water entry issues after even moderate rainfall, and you have to have a sump pump to pump the water out; the homes are constructed with pits for them and so forth; that's just the way they are designed. Those sump pumps operate on electricity, making power failures very serious matters indeed. If it's been raining much, several hours without power results in flooded basements, with all that implies, damaged/destroyed furnaces, appliances and whatever else is down there.

They're not exactly cheap around here, but I consider them required equipment.
    It's true about our water table preventing basements, but depending on the time of year, the heat/humidity can kill seniors. A few days after a big storm, folks are facing rotting food in appliances, and open doors/windows allow mosquitos access. (A very high volume of those mosquitos come from standing water due to the water table. There's nowhere for the water to go.) Most of us can tough it out, but seniors and those medically needy (for instance breathing machines) can pay a heavy price.
    Last edited by Wraithworshipper; 28 April 2020, 06:26 PM. Reason: Addendum
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
      It's true about our water table preventing basements, but depending on the time of year, the heat/humidity can kill seniors. A few days after a big storm, folks are facing rotting food in appliances, and open doors/windows allow mosquitos access. (A very high volume of those mosquitos come from standing water due to the water table. There's nowhere for the water to go.) Most of us can tough it out, but seniors and those medically needy (for instance breathing machines) can pay a heavy price.
      Sounds like I would consider them required equipment in that neck of the woods as well. Even if it's a cheap $500 portable unit.

Comment

Note...I said LIMITED INCOME. There isn't any money for a cheap $500 generator. That's not cheap for most of us.
        Last edited by Wraithworshipper; 29 April 2020, 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
          Note...I said LIMITED INCOME. There isn't any money for a cheap $500 generator. That's not cheap for most of us.
          That isn't cheap for me, either. In my case, it's cheaper than a new furnace, new appliances and such. In your case, I would think it would be even more valuable, 'cause you can't buy a new body after heat, humidity & insect-borne diseases wreck the one you're living in.

Comment

True, but during times of crisis, the thieves come out. You never know when your stuff will be gone when you get home from buying ice at the store. And I'd rather not leave dad at home to guard things. He's liable to forget he's too old to take on some damn oxygen wasters.
            sigpic

Comment

I hate when Cops get mad when the public guns down dirty looters.

Cops can be so touchy.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                I hate when Cops get mad when the public guns down dirty looters.

Cops can be so touchy.
                might be the tactical nukes you keep detonating to take care of them that they're mad about

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  might be the tactical nukes you keep detonating to take care of them that they're mad about :d
                  nukes always solve problems!!!!
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

might be the tactical nukes you keep detonating to take care of them that they're mad about
                    Florida is a "stand your ground" state, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      Florida is a "stand your ground" state, is it not?
                      well I don't think there'd be much ground left to stand on if you're using that kinda overkill

Comment

well I don't think there'd be much ground left to stand on if you're using that kinda overkill
                        Well, the ground will be there, but you won't be
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The very first day that the Stand Your Ground went into effect, a little, old granny in her 70's blew away a young guy who broke into her house. He knew she was home, and it was the middle of the day. She told him she'd shoot, but he went at her anyway. She got the job done with one shot. Had never fired a gun before in her life. It had belonged to her late husband.
                          Last edited by Wraithworshipper; 30 April 2020, 09:42 PM. Reason: Bad typing
                          sigpic

Comment

Ahhh Grannies.. Like My Dear Old Departed Granny used to say.. If you are shooting to kill, shoot it with something that will KILL IT!

Miss her so much.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a lady I could respect!
                              sigpic

Comment

You learned to Quickly!
                                I like Sharky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...