No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Forums that feel the need to "UPDATE" their services... If it aint Broke.. Don't Fix IT!

Like Gate World Forums.. Sure its Old and kinda clunky.. but its a warm and comfy kind of clunky.

Good and Broke In.. Just the way I like it.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Oh, and the graphic didn't mention bras at all.

Shame.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
        When this "mask" stuff first began, I didn't have elastics for my home "mask", so the cloth kept pulling under my nose. But now, that I bought more elastics, I can keep the cloth over my face, but it HURTS the darn ears. I also got linen cloth, cut them in half to make more masks, but layer them with a double filter in nose/mouth area... and my new masks now have about 8 layers! Bandanas are easier to breathe thru, but keeping the coffee filters in, aren't easy unless using the tri-fold face-mask elastic method.

What I don't understand is that IF some of us already had this COVID-19 virus back in December 2019-Feb.2020, we didn't HAVE masks then and no one got sick from those of us who took proper measures to NOT breathe in someone else's space. So, because of paranoia, we are now forced to stay home, and deal with being a NON-essential worker.
        If this was a virus we had defenses against, or it didn't present risk of death to some folks, I could see your argument, But that isn't the case. This disease can be transmitted by people who are completely asymptomatic. So, if we open things up again, we will definitely have folks showing up for work as unknowing carriers, so the disease will spread. And it will spread to people who are in high risk groups. All of the folks who are pushing reopening dismiss that risk, saying that high risk people should continue to stay home. Problem is that they won't be able to stay home.

Last time I was on UI, 20+ years ago, standard rules for eligibility for unemployment require that a person take a job that is offered to them. But while there are stay at home orders in place, that requirement is relaxed. When things are re-opened, those rules will be back in effect, and many high risk workers will have to go back to their jobs and risk infection by the unknowing carriers, as they will no longer be eligible for unemployment. This will result in a far larger number of high risk people getting infected. Or they can choose to stay home and starve.

You've said that due to your circumstances, you can't get unemployment. From your posts, you sound like you had a job and were let go. I don't know why you can't get UI. But, re-opening things before we have anonymous testing to determine who is safe and who isn't, a lot more people will be put in that situation, or have to take their chances on a possibly (for them) fatal disease.

We cannot safely open everything up again before we have the ability to test people returning to work to be sure they don't spread this disease.

NY's Gov.Cuomo had a rant yesterday spouting off telling people to go get an essential job then, if (generic) you need money. He's worried about his own budget not being met, thus unemployment will run out sooner, than later. He should have considered these issues before shutting everything down. Unfortunately, some of us who NEED our sit-down jobs in "non-essential" offices/etc., NEED those because we cannot work as stock/cashier clerks all day.
        I wouldn't pay much attention to Cuomo's babbling. NY's budget was almost 7 billion dollars in the hole before this mess ever started. He's just grandstanding to get federal dollars to bail him out. There are a number of steps that NY could take to help itself, if it wanted to. But if you want to go into details with that, it will have to be by PM.

Comment

People who are inelegible for normal state unemployment are generally elegible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), it's the one from the federal government (you also get an extra $600 on top of that, also from the federal government, just like the people on regular state unemployment). It backdates to when you stopped working. It expands elegibility (at least in NYS, but I'm pretty sure everywhere else since it is a federal program) to things like "you can't go back to work because your child's school is closed because of covid" and "you're in a high risk group or quit job because of covid" (or something to that affect). So even if your job is open and you can't work because you're at high risk of getting sick you can probably apply for that. NYS has started paying that out now (the extra $600 will backdate to 4/5 if you stopped working then, that's when the program started), they couldn't give people money that were elegible for PUA for awhile because they lacked federal guidence on the amount of benefits people were supposed to receive under it. All states are supposed to have the same thing. I know NJ does, and they give better regular state unemployment benifits than NY too. I think the PUA program and the extra $600 (Pandemic Unemployment Compensation/PUC) lasts until July.

Some state agencies are hiring too and those are office type jobs, you can check in your state to see if there are any openings. I know the NY dept of labor was hiring so they could process all the unemployment claims they were getting.
          Last edited by VampyreWraith; 25 April 2020, 10:55 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            People who are inelegible for normal state unemployment are generally elegible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), it's the one from the federal government (you also get an extra $600 on top of that, also from the federal government, just like the people on regular state unemployment). It backdates to when you stopped working. . . . I know NJ does, and they give better regular state unemployment benifits than NY too. I think the PUA program and the extra $600 (Pandemic Unemployment Compensation/PUC) lasts until July.
            NJ *does* have the $600 extra, but only to certain other portions of the state. It does NOT exist where I apparently am.
            Please note below comment(s) to Annoyed.

You've said that due to your circumstances, you can't get unemployment. From your posts, you sound like you had a job and were let go. I don't know why you can't get UI.
            Wrong. The post was removed, so I can't link nor quote it.
            Am on UI. Mininum wage payout. NO MORE. Not going to discuss details... it's NOT worth the effort. Sorry.
            Spoiler:
            The mods must have wiped it out --- it was a reply to you, Annoyed... it was very long, and couldn't miss seeing it.
            Maybe they can PM it to you, instead...

But NO..NO..NO..No,no,no,no,no! NO $600 extra...!
            UNABLE to rec'v $600.
            Why? Ask Nancy Pelosi. Seems that it's a regional thing, apparently. Other people in other portions of the same state got the $600, but NOT here. Sounds rather cliquish.

Again, There is NO, NO, NO, NO $600 payout at all. Some of us got screwed over. THAT is hurting my SS, too. No money in, means longer SS work dates before being able to retire. My body is falling apart in the meantime, but can't apply for disability unless unable to physically move body... don't want to get to that point of pain in health status, either. Not if I can avoid that level of pain...!

Maybe the $600 (and $1200 total per couple) stimulus request from TPTB over here fell into the trash bin, or something. Convenient, if it did... sounds politically motivated, tho due to majority of "red vs. blue" zones.

Comment

SGalisa The $600 started on 4/5, you're supposed to be getting it if you're on unemployment (at least I know you're supposed to get it if your unemployment is Covid related). If you're not getting it complain to your local representative, call their office/email them. It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi, she doesn't control those funds. Those funds are given out from your state dept of labor (who got them from the federal government).

Check the IRS site if you haven't gotten the stimulus money. If you filed a 2018/2019 tax return and your direct deposit info was on file with them you should have gotten it already. The checks are taking longer to get to people, I read that some people might not see them until Aug, I think they're starting with lower income people first. And it 1200 for an individual and 2400 for a couple.
              sigpic

Comment

SGalisa The $600 started on 4/5, you're supposed to be getting it if you're on unemployment (at least I know you're supposed to get it if your unemployment is Covid related). If you're not getting it complain to your local representative, call their office/email them. It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi, she doesn't control those funds. Those funds are given out from your state dept of labor (who got them from the federal government).

Check the IRS site if you haven't gotten the stimulus money. If you filed a 2018/2019 tax return and your direct deposit info was on file with them you should have gotten it already. The checks are taking longer to get to people, I read that some people might not see them until Aug, I think they're starting with lower income people first. And it 1200 for an individual and 2400 for a couple.
                Regarding SGalisa's situatiion, my best guess is she's confused about something, but she said she didn't want to discuss it, so, I'm not going there.

Regarding the IRS web site, that is basically useless for myself and a lot of people.

Myself, I've always balanced my withholding so that I have to pay a little bit to both the state and the feds, rather than get a refund. Makes more sense to me. I don't want to give the govt. an interest-free loan, NY has in the past threatened to delay issuing refund checks due to state budget issues, and NYS also considers tax refunds to be taxable income. No, I'll pay a little each year, thanks. Needless to say, I've never entered direct deposit info, it's not needed.

Now, that web site is SUPPOSED to allow you to check status of the stim. payout, and it was also supposed to provide a way to give the IRS your DD info, if needed.

From the IRS web site as of now:
                Update your bank account or mailing address

If we don’t have your direct deposit information from your 2018 or 2019 return – and we haven’t yet sent your payment – use the Get My Payment application to let us know where to send your direct deposit.
                2019 Filers: We will send your payment using the information you provided with your 2019 tax return. You will not be able to change it.
                2018 Filers: If you need to change your account information or mailing address, file your 2019 taxes electronically as soon as possible. That is the only way to let us know your new information.
                Whether or not you've filed for 2019 or not, if you haven't needed to provide DD info,, you're up a creek, unless you choose to use a paid preparer to file 2019 and you are getting a refund.

Comment

SGalisa The $600 started on 4/5, you're supposed to be getting it if you're on unemployment (at least I know you're supposed to get it if your unemployment is Covid related). If you're not getting it complain to your local representative, call their office/email them. It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi, she doesn't control those funds. Those funds are given out from your state dept of labor (who got them from the federal government)...
                  Okay. This UI *is* COVID-19 related. All info was filed accordingly.
                  I do appreciate the time being given to stay home and get some needed home projects done, but this won't last forever.... not unless I can retire early, and that is not likely.

However, "Supposed to be" is the operative phrase or word(s). Been hearing different dates every time I get on the internet to find out where / what level the process is sitting at.

The $600 is NOT coming. It was BLOCKED ...politically motivated...? IDK.
                  And, the other package that was supposed to go to local businesses for having to shut-down or reduce staff, that got blocked too. I explained it all in my post that got removed or hidden. I can't even quote from it to see what I wrote, so I'm not going to try to repeat ad nauseaum.

Anywho...
                  Our local *representative* is already working on the lack of $600 situation. So far, it's been falling on DEAF ears. There has been non-stop announcements for (at least) the past 2 whole weeks on the radio about the whole thing. It's nauseating listening to the guy 8 to 12 times in a row...ALL freakin day long. I literally have to shut off the sound, because I am so sick of hearing the announcement playing over and over and over again.

Spoiler:
                  My relative alerted us to this situation when it first started... she's a (former) lawyer and wanted those in the "RED" zoned areas (where she is) to know that they will NOT be getting this extra $600.

So, if it gets here 3 months from now, because enough people started screaming about it, so be it. It is NOT here yet. I think it would be direct deposit in my world, if it is coming at all. Not expecting miracles of that magnitude, either. Tho, it would help pay our bills enough, to not feel pinched and squashed (say hello to welfare levels). But that may be *certain* TPTB hope...to manipulate people to think otherwise, and sway their thoughts when the time comes due in November 2020.

Regarding SGalisa's situatiion, my best guess is she's confused about something, but she said she didn't want to discuss it, so, I'm not going there.
                  Ummmm. No, NOT confused. Please see my comments above this one (to VampyreWraith).
                  It should be clear enough without getting into that *Pol* area that is verbotten on GW...
                  Last edited by SGalisa; 25 April 2020, 01:26 PM. Reason: fixed info

Comment

Regarding the IRS web site, that is basically useless for myself and a lot of people.

Myself, I've always balanced my withholding so that I have to pay a little bit to both the state and the feds, rather than get a refund. Makes more sense to me. I don't want to give the govt. an interest-free loan, NY has in the past threatened to delay issuing refund checks due to state budget issues, and NYS also considers tax refunds to be taxable income. No, I'll pay a little each year, thanks. Needless to say, I've never entered direct deposit info, it's not needed.

Now, that web site is SUPPOSED to allow you to check status of the stim. payout, and it was also supposed to provide a way to give the IRS your DD info, if needed.

From the IRS web site as of now:

Whether or not you've filed for 2019 or not, if you haven't needed to provide DD info,, you're up a creek, unless you choose to use a paid preparer to file 2019 and you are getting a refund.
                    They really should allow you to change things to direct deposit on the site like they said they would. And you are also supposed to be able to check the status of your payment. Maybe if enough people complain they'll fix it.

I haven't filed for 2019 yet, but I filed in 2018 and they have my direct deposit info since I was owed a refund because I have kids and they take out too much in my taxes. I'd rather have them take out too much and give it back to me later, than have them take out too little and then have me owe them.
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay. This UI *is* COVID-19 related. All info was filed accordingly.
                      I do appreciate the time being given to stay home and get some needed home projects done, but this won't last forever.... not unless I can retire early, and that is not likely.

However, "Supposed to be" is the operative phrase or word(s). Been hearing different dates every time I get on the internet to find out where / what level the process is sitting at.

The $600 is NOT coming. It was BLOCKED ...politically motivated...? IDK.
                      And, the other package that was supposed to go to local businesses for having to shut-down or reduce staff, that got blocked too. I explained it all in my post that got removed or hidden. I can't even quote from it to see what I wrote, so I'm not going to try to repeat ad nauseaum.

Anywho...
                      Our local *representative* is already working on the lack of $600 situation. So far, it's been falling on DEAF ears. There has been non-stop announcements for (at least) the past 2 whole weeks on the radio about the whole thing. It's nauseating listening to the guy 8 to 12 times in a row...ALL freakin day long. I literally have to shut off the sound, because I am so sick of hearing the announcement playing over and over and over again.

Spoiler:
                      My relative alerted us to this situation when it first started... she's a (former) lawyer and wanted those in the "RED" zoned areas (where she is) to know that they will NOT be getting this extra $600.

So, if it gets here 3 months from now, because enough people started screaming about it, so be it. It is NOT here yet. I think it would be direct deposit in my world, if it is coming at all. Not expecting miracles of that magnitude, either. Tho, it would help pay our bills enough, to not feel pinched and squashed (say hello to welfare levels). But that may be *certain* TPTB hope...to manipulate people to think otherwise, and sway their thoughts when the time comes due in November 2020.

Ummmm. No, NOT confused. Please see my comments above this one (to VampyreWraith).
                      It should be clear enough without getting into that *Pol* area that is verbotten on GW...
                      They have to give everyone the extra $600 and backdate it to 4/5 if you're eligible. It's federal money that people are owed. If you don't have it yet, you'll probably get it soon (hopefully). I know NYS had to take it out of state funds at first until they got reimbursed by the federal government so that everyone who got approved for ui wasn't waiting for it. Maybe NJ hasn't done that to the same extent. It's taking a lot of time to process a lot of peoples applications (especially the ones filed in March) because of the amount of claims and the old programing that the site was running on, but a lot more people here are getting paid. Yesterday the NYS dept of labor even sent a bunch of people whose applications were still pending the $600, so that they weren't all waiting without any money.
                      sigpic

Comment

They really should allow you to change things to direct deposit on the site like they said they would. And you are also supposed to be able to check the status of your payment. Maybe if enough people complain they'll fix it.
                        I'll be back in a few years after I stop laughing.

I haven't filed for 2019 yet, but I filed in 2018 and they have my direct deposit info since I was owed a refund because I have kids and they take out too much in my taxes. I'd rather have them take out too much and give it back to me later, than have them take out too little and then have me owe them.
                        I haven't done 2019 yet either, but I haven't gotten a refund in at least 15 years, likely longer. Usually, I have to pay the feds about forty bucks, and the state about a hundred. I'd much rather do it that way.

Comment

I'll be back in a few years after I stop laughing.

I haven't done 2019 yet either, but I haven't gotten a refund in at least 15 years, likely longer. Usually, I have to pay the feds about forty bucks, and the state about a hundred. I'd much rather do it that way.
                          They actually improved the NYS dept of labor site because of all the complaining and people were actually getting called back after direct messaging them and complaining on Twitter, and getting connected to a Dept of Labor representative to finish their application after calling the governors office because they couldn't get through directly. Maybe the same can happen if enough people complain about the IRS site and not receiving their stimulus. I'm sure tptb don't want a ton of bad press about not receiving money that they desperately need to survive during a pandemic (especially during an election year).

I've never actually put that I have dependants on the tax info that I fill out for work so they always take out a lot more because of that and then when I file my taxes I get it back and get a credit for them, so I usually end up getting a substantial refund.
                          sigpic

Comment

They actually improved the NYS dept of labor site because of all the complaining and people were actually getting called back after direct messaging them and complaining on Twitter, and getting connected to a Dept of Labor representative to finish their application after calling the governors office because they couldn't get through directly. Maybe the same can happen if enough people complain about the IRS site and not receiving their stimulus. I'm sure tptb don't want a ton of bad press about not receiving money that they desperately need to survive during a pandemic (especially during an election year).

I've never actually put that I have dependants on the tax info that I fill out for work so they always take out a lot more because of that and then when I file my taxes I get it back and get a credit for them, so I usually end up getting a substantial refund.
                            You are far too trusting.

If you look at line 4 of the std. IT-201 tax form for 2018, One of the things you're supposed to put there are tax refunds that were received. So, those dollars were taxed in the prior year, 2017, when they were earned. Now, in 2018, The Empire state wants to tax those dollars again. You know what you can do with that idea.

Next, back in the eighties or 90's, NYS threatened to delay or withhold sending out tax refund checks, the budget was upside down again...

There is no way on earth I'm going to give this state a penny earlier than I have to.

Comment

You are far too trusting.

If you look at line 4 of the std. IT-201 tax form for 2018, One of the things you're supposed to put there are tax refunds that were received. So, those dollars were taxed in the prior year, 2017, when they were earned. Now, in 2018, The Empire state wants to tax those dollars again. You know what you can do with that idea.

Next, back in the eighties or 90's, NYS threatened to delay or withhold sending out tax refund checks, the budget was upside down again...

There is no way on earth I'm going to give this state a penny earlier than I have to.
                              Not really, I just don't want to end up having to owe state or federal gov anything, I'd rather have them take it and then give it back later. It's what most people end up doing since they don't want to end up owing money when they don't have it (since most people spend money when they have it instead of save it for later especially when they don't have that much to save). I've never had a problem with my refunds before, but I don't do my taxes myself, I have other people do them for me. I think it really depends on an individual's situation what works out best for them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Not really, I just don't want to end up having to owe state or federal gov anything, I'd rather have them take it and then give it back later. It's what most people end up doing since they don't want to end up owing money when they don't have it (since most people spend money when they have it instead of save it for later especially when they don't have that much to save). I've never had a problem with my refunds before, but I don't do my taxes myself, I have other people do them for me. I think it really depends on an individual's situation what works out best for them.
                                LOL. I'll be damned if if I pay someone to do what I should be able to figure out and do myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X