Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    I've also got a stock of 100W bulbs, in case I ever want to use one for heating purposes. Bought them before the govt. did ban those.
    You shouldn't say that too loud, a neighbor of yours could see this post and citizen arrest you for holding illegal goods.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Im calling the FBI right now. When he is arrested and we know longer have to listen to his conspiracy theories, I'll be considered a hero
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        You shouldn't say that too loud, a neighbor of yours could see this post and citizen arrest you for holding illegal goods.
        Ownership isn't banned. Sale is. They're not for sale.

Comment

Ownership isn't banned. Sale is. They're not for sale.
          Legal entry is still legal as well, don't seem capable of making that distinction.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            NEVER!!!

At least not by choice...

LED all the way... although, I do miss the classic lightbulb. That wire... it was magical until it broke.

I also have solarpowered lights -- and a lithium battery based nightlight which goes on and off by tapping it, and when you drop your hand on it, it'll reduce or increase the volume of light. It's my most favorite kind of light. It's in the shape of an egg.
            yeah I'm changing mine over to LED as they burn out too...but I'll still need either incandescent or halogen bulbs for use in the oven....at the kind of temps one usually uses with an oven it won't be long before the cumulative effect of the heat on the diodes in LED's completely liquefies the diodes

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              yeah I'm changing mine over to LED as they burn out too...but I'll still need either incandescent or halogen bulbs for use in the oven....at the kind of temps one usually uses with an oven it won't be long before the cumulative effect of the heat on the diodes in LED's completely liquefies the diodes
              Won't be good for the oven or the light.

As a sidenote, even my cat has accidently turned my egg light on when he was dipping his head to sniff something close by and accidently touched the top of it. I thought it was hilarious, he, not so much.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Won't be good for the oven or the light.

As a sidenote, even my cat has accidently turned my egg light on when he was dipping his head to sniff something close by and accidently touched the top of it. I thought it was hilarious, he, not so much.
                My parrot once landed on the stove for a microsecond and never forgot about it. Now when he sees me reach for the oven's handle he just takes off or quickly hides in my shirt for safety. Then he gives me attitude because it makes me laugh every time.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I have a question for Annoyed and mad_gater.
                  NYC Mayor DiBlasio wants to link an approximate 333 mile cable system to Canada's HYDRO-energy supplies.

What do you think of DiBlasio's idea? He wants this deal signed and sealed by 2020. Plus, I thought I saw a note somewhere that Mayor DiBlasio wants to have a meeting with the Canadian energy company as early as NEXT WEEK!!! So, time is of utmost importance now.

Here is a link to an article about this. (There were several articles, but this one was sort of more thorough.)

NOTE... there is a "Trending" video that automatically starts on this webpage...it runs continuously.

"New York City mayor wants a contract with Hydro-Québec by next year"
                  Presse Canadienne
                  Updated: April 23, 2019

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he wants all public infrastructure of his city fed by "zero-emission Canadian hydroelectricity" and he wants a deal signed by 2020.

Quebec Premier François Legault hailed the announcement on Twitter.
                  ...April 22, 2019
                  "Wow!," Legault said. "Hydro-Québec could become the green battery of northeast of America."

...The project has been on the table for at least 10 years. The original plan was to start construction in 2018 and have the network live in 2021...
                  So, how much of the northeast can this HYDRO-power *really* feed; and for how many years is it expected to last?

Personally, unless the energy is fed by a certain percentage of units allowed to be fed into NYC, the way NYC likes to gobble up energy and how politics goes wild (lately), I think NYC sees a GOLD-MINE of an UNLIMITED power source in Canada's HYDRO-power. I think TPTB in NY/NYC believe that the Niagara Falls will be there forever, as long as the oceans exist, so gobble it up now... However, I *think* the waterfalls are shrinking, because I saw the original water-flow maps and saw where the marker line was when we last saw Niagara Falls in person. NYC's added use will make it shrink even faster, that is, if NYC gets its own way with this situation.

I also think NYC (NY) should chase after closer items for availability. With all of those "wind tunnels" the city streets produce, the nightclubs and businesses could put mini-windmills on their property / roof or wherever it works best, and solar cells on windows and rooftops, to keep their neon lights going for a few hours at night. Otherwise, try turning those neon lights OUT, and go to sleep earlier like some of the rest of us smucks.

NYC could also tap into setting up WAVE generating systems offshore in the ocean, and connect *that* way, instead of taking precious HYRDO-energy away from the Niagara Falls region. Leave the American and Niagara Falls for Buffalo and Rochester, and if there is more being produced, send it down to Northwestern Pennsylvania, and OHIO along the Lake side area, down to Cleveland, if it can go that far. Since those areas are MUCH closer to Canada's HYDRO-power sources, those areas should have FIRST dibs on this crazy system *if* the GREEN (New) DEAL ever passes into operation!

Since NYC is the main culprit pushing this GREEN (New) DEAL stuff, screw NYC---let NYC seek out its energy from closer sources on a more LOCAL basis to the NYC area. Long Island has a lot of Oceanfront property... so those WAVE generators could be moving quite nicely over into NYC.

And if any of those "elite" rich folks complain about their VIEW being blocked, hey, DiBlasio is going to push A.O.C.'s GREEN DEAL one way or another... so get used to it folks. If the DEMs get back into FULL, complete power control, this is going to be OUR future probably *sooner* than later...!

ALL of You folks from Canada can chime in on this discussion too..! Time is precious, and moments are passing quicker than the rest of us being able to enjoy a leisure-life into retirement. There won't be any retirement at this idiot rate of events happening. So, please share your thoughts!
                  Last edited by SGalisa; 30 April 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Typical Democratic BS. Stupidity on parade at its best.
                    1: Energy is the lifeblood of any modern city. We should not place a foreign power in charge of that supply.
                    2: Canada is not likely to go along with the deal. If I were them, I wouldn't.
                    3: Your geography is in error. This almost has to discussing a hydro power plant along the St. Lawrence, rather than Niagara Falls. NF is at the very far western end of NY, about 600 -700 miles distant. There would be significant transmission losses over that distance.

Even assuming the St. Lawrence location of the source, It's not likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                      So, how much of the northeast can this HYDRO-power *really* feed; and for how many years is it expected to last?
                      36,9 GW / year, you do the maths, it's a lot.

Typical Democratic BS. Stupidity on parade at its best.
                      1: Energy is the lifeblood of any modern city. We should not place a foreign power in charge of that supply.
                      2: Canada is not likely to go along with the deal. If I were them, I wouldn't.
                      3: Your geography is in error. This almost has to discussing a hydro power plant along the St. Lawrence, rather than Niagara Falls. NF is at the very far western end of NY, about 600 -700 miles distant. There would be significant transmission losses over that distance.

Even assuming the St. Lawrence location of the source, It's not likely to happen.
                      Your mayor is trying to save you money.

1- You don't seem to be aware that Hydro-Québec has been selling electricity to NY state for over 100 years, starting in 1910. What say you now?

2- Lol you got to be joking. Québec has wanted that deal for decades, we have a surplus of energy that we can't sell. This is what Canada has been waiting for a LONG time, ever since I was born. QC is the Eldorado of cheap and clean energy. BitCoin farms seek to establish themselves here for this very reason.

3- There are dams all over the province, not just those, some as far as 1,000 KM away. High-Tension lines reduce the transmission lost to a minimal amount. Your hydro-electricity doesn't come from one specific spot.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

36,9 GW / year, you do the maths, it's a lot.

Your mayor is trying to save you money.

1- You don't seem to be aware that Hydro-Québec has been selling electricity to NY state for over 100 years, starting in 1910. What say you now?
                        NYC's mayor wants to use Canada as its exclusive source. Not a good idea.

And I don't live in NYC. He's not my Mayor.

Comment

NYC's mayor wants to use Canada as its exclusive source. Not a good idea.

And I don't live in NYC. He's not my Mayor.
                          You wish he was though, such a good man.

On behalf of all Canadians, we thank you Annoyed, NY state citizen, for using our clean hydro-electricity to power your abode.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

On behalf of all Canadians, we thank you Annoyed, NY state citizen, for using our clean hydro-electricity to power your abode.
                            Most of our power comes from a nuke plant.

Comment

depends which part of the state.....there is more to NY state other than NYC and Long Island ya know

anyhow in the western part of the state (anything west of the Hudson and esp. the 8 counties that comprise what is commonly called WNY) it's more likely we get hydro power from the Falls, not from Quebec

Comment

Actually, most of your power comes from a puke plant.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X