Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you seriously saying you don't get the point of my post?

Comment

We see it and reject it
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I found that engaging them in theological debate gets rid of them just as quickly as any insensitive tactic. The record for return visits is 4. But when I start asking certain questions about their interpretation of the Bible, they tend to not show up again.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
          Quickest way to get rid of a Jehovah's is to say "can you come back next week I'm just off to give blood".

Although I'll never forget my friend who invited them in for tea and had laid out copies of playboy on the coffee table, I've never seen the excuse themselves from a home quicker since.
          as far as they're concerned even us Catholics have their measure

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Apparently not... please, do elaborate.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            I found that engaging them in theological debate gets rid of them just as quickly as any insensitive tactic. The record for return visits is 4. But when I start asking certain questions about their interpretation of the Bible, they tend to not show up again.
            I heard they have a sort of black list but it's just hearsay so I don't know it's actually true.

However, we do still get their Watch Tower (I think it's called) in the mail -- occasionally find it in my mailbox. Along with the "God loves you"-cards which originate from a group home up the street (their christmas card sat snug between the others - it had Pluto on the front).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Best part about living in the city in an apartment -- no Jehovah's witnesses.
              I thought you advocated tolerance for all? Let's rewrite that a bit, and see if you still think its funny.

Or is making a group of people the butt of a joke ok only if it is a religious group?
              You bristle at any suggestion of anti-LGBT bigotry, but you yourself making a religious group the target of a joke? How is religious bigotry different from any other sort?

So, again, let's re-write your original statement again.

"Best part about living in a Christian community -- no LGBT folks."

Is it still a joke, as you intended your original statement to be?

Comment

You bristle at any suggestion of anti-LGBT bigotry, but you yourself making a religious group the target of a joke? How is religious bigotry different from any other sort?

Your re-write of the statement makes no sense, as there are plenty of LGBT people who are also Christians.
                sigpic

Comment

The exact group, "christian community" isn't the point. If you wish, substitute another group where you are unlikely to find LGBT folks.
                  The point is that someone who is so ardent in objecting to any form of LGBT discrimination or harassment shouldn't be making jokes with members of a religion as the target.

Comment

I heard they have a sort of black list but it's just hearsay so I don't know it's actually true.

However, we do still get their Watch Tower (I think it's called) in the mail -- occasionally find it in my mailbox. Along with the "God loves you"-cards which originate from a group home up the street (their christmas card sat snug between the others - it had Pluto on the front).
                    I don't think blacklist is the best way to put it. They are not as organized as they or their detractors would like the world to think. But if you think of it it makes sense. If the person you visit shows no real interest or makes no progress, why bother them for a while when there are others that can be preached to? But I doubt it goes beyond one congregation.

But to share my experiences with door to door preachers, I remember my dad entertaining an Evangelical, a pair of Mormons, and two different occasions of a Jehovah's Witnesses pair. Give or take...hard to remember throughout the years and such. And he always engages them in an honest biblical debate.

I have only ever entertained 3 different sets of Jehovah's Witnesses. The first one was a small dialogue, they were just handing out pamphlets and "needed to go". I questioned their use of an image of God and how that related to the commandment to not make images.

The second set came back 2 or 3 times for a total of 3 or 4 visits (I think I was in the bathroom when they knocked the third time...). The first time around I basically preached to them, then they decided to come back later. The second time they ran out of time after I asked them about their "Earthly hope" and a bible verse that pretty much declared anyone with an "earthly hope" enemies of Christ. They call it "earthly hope" for the majority of JW's who will live eternity on a paradise Earth after the resurrection. They never answered my questions on that verse. And the third time we talked about when how they obtained "the Truth". It's a shame I missed them in their final visit. I wanted to talk to them about a verse that mentions that God is the ruler of the realm of mankind. They believe it's the devil who is the ruler.

The final visit came from a guy and his young child. I didn't let him go. I could tell he wanted to leave...but I had time to kill. Never seen him again. Our discussion was not that different than what I have had in the past.

I doubt I'll see any at my door for awhile now. Not that they aren't welcomed.

I don't think she intended it as a joke. More like saying, she's happy she isn't being bothered by their knocking on her door given her living arrangement.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

I heard they have a sort of black list but it's just hearsay so I don't know it's actually true..
                      It's true, you can even ask to be added to it, I've used various tactics over the years including engaging them in debate like Tood has, we havn't had a visit for about 8 years and the last time they did the rounds I was loitering behind the door as usual and one was a newbie, she went to knock and the other one said, "no not that one they're on the blacklist". My neighbour also got fedup and asked if they had a no-knock list and they replied yes we'll add you to it.

Comment

This works............
                        excuse me sir.jpg
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I see it now, you think I discriminate against Jehovas' Witnesses somehow. You think I treat them like you treat LGBTQ -- like inferior beings.

Well, let me get you in on a little secret: one of my best friends in school was a member of the Jehovas' Witnesses. We lost contact when we went to high school -- he and I went in separate directions but last I heard he was doing quite well in live (as is his sister). It never even once bothered me what he or his family believed in, or what any of my other practicing religion-friends believed in or didn't believe in. We were all kids, a big group of diverse kids and friends who left no one behind.

You want to project this idiotic notion you have -- go right ahead, project it. If it makes you feel better.

My point, I was trying to make, and Tood got it, is that an apartment building makes it harder to preach their message, cause I haven't actually seen one -- like ever. So, I assume, they too find it harder to connect. And also, I live in a city in which the majority of the inhabitants is comprised of students and they make even less of a willing audience, I imagine.
                          What I have found, is their magazine -- Watch Tower I think it's called -- and guess what, I read it, and no, not for poking fun at it.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                          I don't think blacklist is the best way to put it. They are not as organized as they or their detractors would like the world to think. But if you think of it it makes sense. If the person you visit shows no real interest or makes no progress, why bother them for a while when there are others that can be preached to? But I doubt it goes beyond one congregation.
                          Mmm... that actually is a better way of putting it.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          This works............
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]42062[/ATTACH]
                          I'd rather he didn't show up at my door -- too many tentacles.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            This works............
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]42062[/ATTACH]

This just reminded me of Mass Effect...Oh my God, I'm turning into Foley!
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd tell you to go watch the blaze and say 10 hail becks, but foley might not like beck these days...........
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

He snuck in for a bit a year ago and pretty much thinks Beck has gone off the deep end. Right now Foley has...other things keeping his attention.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X