Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Typical Democratic BS. Stupidity on parade at its best.
    1: Energy is the lifeblood of any modern city. We should not place a foreign power in charge of that supply.
    2: Canada is not likely to go along with the deal. If I were them, I wouldn't.
    3: Your geography is in error. This almost has to discussing a hydro power plant along the St. Lawrence, rather than Niagara Falls. NF is at the very far western end of NY, about 600 -700 miles distant. There would be significant transmission losses over that distance.

Even assuming the St. Lawrence location of the source, It's not likely to happen.
    Never say never...! The meeting is next week, I think, to firm up the details of the Canada/NYC HYDRO-power deal.

1&2, skip...Leaving #2 to those who live in Canada...
    3... Sorry, I wasn't sure what direction Hydro-Québec was in. Hudson River valley is probably the correct location. That would make more sense with the anticipated 333 miles of cable being laid down. Any additional designated amounts could also feed Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, NH, and Maine areas -- if the amount of available HYDRO is even capable of feeding those entire regions.

I still think the WAVE generating units set up along the shoreline in the ocean would also help. The entire Long Island sound would benefit from that, especially since the southern end seems to have a constant flow of waves, let alone severe undertows now and then, too. Somewhere in the UK/Scotland area, there is a wave unit set up, and it sounds interesting.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    36,9 GW / year, you do the maths, it's a lot.

Your mayor is trying to save you money.

1- You don't seem to be aware that Hydro-Québec has been selling electricity to NY state for over 100 years, starting in 1910. What say you now?

2- Lol you got to be joking. Québec has wanted that deal for decades, we have a surplus of energy that we can't sell. This is what Canada has been waiting for a LONG time, ever since I was born. QC is the Eldorado of cheap and clean energy. BitCoin farms seek to establish themselves here for this very reason.

3- There are dams all over the province, not just those, some as far as 1,000 KM away. High-Tension lines reduce the transmission lost to a minimal amount. Your hydro-electricity doesn't come from one specific spot.
    Chaka-Z0, thank you for the 36,9 GW / year data. Those details are engineering & math wayyyyyy over my head to figure out... that's why I was asking. I'd have to wait for the reports to show up on how many people would be serviced. We have lots of relatives near NYC in different locations.

If TPTB are going to pull the rug out from under us to keep our homes properly heated, cooled, and various (conveniences of) appliances operating smoothly, it's helpful to know what we're going to be up against in the future of living accommodations and expenses. I know some homes simply do NOT have enough property to live OFF-grid, so those will have to tap into the MAIN utility grid as continuously as they do now.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    depends which part of the state.....there is more to NY state other than NYC and Long Island ya know

anyhow in the western part of the state (anything west of the Hudson and esp. the 8 counties that comprise what is commonly called WNY) it's more likely we get hydro power from the Falls, not from Quebec
    Thanks mad_gater. I figured you'd know more about the Niagara Falls area on both sides of the border, since we've sort of discussed that area before. Last time I visited the Falls area, I read a report that was claiming the water-flow source is shrinking. So, the mountains aren't producing enough water to go down into the rivers and over the Falls? (global warming excuse!) Seriously? A 100 years prior, it covered a lot more acreage, but the original areas have dried up. If true, then this is something that NEEDS to be monitored more closely, but apparently seems to be being ignored "because the oceans are rising" reasons.

Plus, there are a few bottleneck bay areas where the ocean water meets the waters fed from the Great Lakes. I heard that some of the Great Lakes are shrinking, too, which sounds disturbing, since it is one of our major FRESH water resources. And how does NYC (and Canada!) expect the HYDRO-power to remain ON at FULL throttle, if the water begins to vanish further? ...and don't forget the winters when the waterflow to the Falls is lowered, due to FROZEN water-flows.

Personally, I like the (under the window type) hot water radiators instead of the full length wall-electric units on the floor. It's difficult to place furniture in rooms where the electric heaters are. The heat destroys the furniture. Had an apartment like that, and had to move the heavy furniture away from the wall enough to prevent blocking the heat from being used to its full potential. It's a stupid idea to heat that way, IMO. Plus, "electric" heating costs more (all-electric via "wire-lined" to utility poled apartments were lots more pricey than the gas heated apartments). Waste of precious space, too, especially in a small home/apartment setting.

Comment

Well well, I am for once pleasantly surprised that I agree with at least some parts of your posts.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
      Never say never...! The meeting is next week, I think, to firm up the details of the Canada/NYC HYDRO-power deal.
      I'm telling you, if our PM actually breaks a deal with NYC he's going to be re-elected so fast you won't have time to yell Russian interference. Negotiations have always failed in the past so I won't believe it 'till I see it.

Any additional designated amounts could also feed Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, NH, and Maine areas -- if the amount of available HYDRO is even capable of feeding those entire regions.
      Hydro-electricity can be channeled just like any type of energy over vast distances with the proper infrastructure in place.

I still think the WAVE generating units set up along the shoreline in the ocean would also help. The entire Long Island sound would benefit from that, especially since the southern end seems to have a constant flow of waves, let alone severe undertows now and then, too. Somewhere in the UK/Scotland area, there is a wave unit set up, and it sounds interesting.
      Absolutely my dear SG!
      If I may be so bold to suggest, could it be that this is a clean, smart and cost-efficient way to achieve diversification in power generation?
      If so, it would go a long way towards lowering our reliance on fossil fuels, resulting in a slight loss in pollution levels!

Chaka-Z0, thank you for the 36,9 GW / year data. Those details are engineering & math wayyyyyy over my head to figure out... that's why I was asking. I'd have to wait for the reports to show up on how many people would be serviced. We have lots of relatives near NYC in different locations.
      Okay maybe it's not a reflex of your generation, so I'll let this one slide and behave. For the record I'm so bad with numbers I failed my accounting class twice, nothing EVER adds up on my financial reports.

So engineering degree aside, I literally googled just now ''how much power is 1 gw/h'' and got this:
      A gigawatt of power will provide enough energy for about 700,000 homes.

Alakazou! You are now a mathematician!

So, the mountains aren't producing enough water to go down into the rivers and over the Falls? (global warming excuse!) Seriously? A 100 years prior, it covered a lot more acreage, but the original areas have dried up. If true, then this is something that NEEDS to be monitored more closely, but apparently seems to be being ignored "because the oceans are rising" reasons.
      Last time I went there I was like 6 years old and I was told stories of people jumping down the falls in barrels and I thought it was so cool... until I was told of the killing part.

Unas stories aside, it's important to understand Climate Changes is not one major event, it is an addition of small disturbances that cause a domino effect. Temperatures affect crops most of all, a few degrees increase or decrease can make agriculture impossible.

Plus, there are a few bottleneck bay areas where the ocean water meets the waters fed from the Great Lakes. I heard that some of the Great Lakes are shrinking, too, which sounds disturbing, since it is one of our major FRESH water resources. And how does NYC (and Canada!) expect the HYDRO-power to remain ON at FULL throttle, if the water begins to vanish further? ...and don't forget the winters when the waterflow to the Falls is lowered, due to FROZEN water-flows.
      I wouldn't be too alarmed by that if I were you, rivers often change courses during a human's lifetime, many times over centuries. Sometimes it's because of men, more often than not it's nature rewriting herself.

Hydro isn't what I consider a full clean energy. To achieve hydro power generation you need to flood huge areas of land and by doing so you basically destroy whatever was in it, wildlife, its people or the fauna. The biggest installations of hydro-power in Québec are located in very remote places, nobody lives there. See a map here

That's also why I think Annoyed stories about the Canadians doing shady things up the St-Lawrence and the Lakes is so stupid. Hydro-QC has ONE factory in the St-Lawrence, and it's one of the smallest of the bunch.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Getting modded is a badge of honor. I have 4 badges
        If you look in the dictionary, you're tagged as "Mostly Harmless".

Comment

Well well, I am for once pleasantly surprised that I agree with at least some parts of your posts.

I'm telling you, if our PM actually breaks a deal with NYC he's going to be re-elected so fast you won't have time to yell Russian interference. Negotiations have always failed in the past so I won't believe it 'till I see it.

Hydro-electricity can be channeled just like any type of energy over vast distances with the proper infrastructure in place.

Absolutely my dear SG!
          If I may be so bold to suggest, could it be that this is a clean, smart and cost-efficient way to achieve diversification in power generation?
          If so, it would go a long way towards lowering our reliance on fossil fuels, resulting in a slight loss in pollution levels!

Okay maybe it's not a reflex of your generation, so I'll let this one slide and behave. For the record I'm so bad with numbers I failed my accounting class twice, nothing EVER adds up on my financial reports.

So engineering degree aside, I literally googled just now ''how much power is 1 gw/h'' and got this:

Last time I went there I was like 6 years old and I was told stories of people jumping down the falls in barrels and I thought it was so cool... until I was told of the killing part.

Unas stories aside, it's important to understand Climate Changes is not one major event, it is an addition of small disturbances that cause a domino effect. Temperatures affect crops most of all, a few degrees increase or decrease can make agriculture impossible.

I wouldn't be too alarmed by that if I were you, rivers often change courses during a human's lifetime, many times over centuries. Sometimes it's because of men, more often than not it's nature rewriting herself.

Hydro isn't what I consider a full clean energy. To achieve hydro power generation you need to flood huge areas of land and by doing so you basically destroy whatever was in it, wildlife, its people or the fauna. The biggest installations of hydro-power in Québec are located in very remote places, nobody lives there. See a map here

That's also why I think Annoyed stories about the Canadians doing shady things up the St-Lawrence and the Lakes is so stupid. Hydro-QC has ONE factory in the St-Lawrence, and it's one of the smallest of the bunch.
          now if we had a way to convert all the hot air coming out of Albany to electrical power we'd be set for life

Comment

Absolutely my dear SG!

Can't GREEN you yet, but thanks for the tips...
            We have a few wind tunnels where some shopping stores are, and I often think that somewhere along that path TPTB could set up a bunch of windmills... they'd have a rare day when there is no wind thru there. Otherwise, it's prime land for being "tornado alley". ...

Comment

Have to change the subject... because THIS is HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!
              Political climate... and venting allowed *within reason*...

I'm posting this political item into Earth's Future topic to keep it on track (as much as reasonably possible)... Plus, it serves as a sort of booster for a future reason that is not noted in the below video/comments. That future item has to do with deception of the ultimate kind... BUT in the meantime, perhaps after 2-1/2 years, the recent USA political showing of what has led us all up to now is just a preview of what is yet to come? (NO one would be safe at that future time) Again, there is a totally different story I've been trying to get to (not related to the below items), but these other distractions (like the video as noted below) just keep getting in the pesky way...!

BTW, awesome speech by Senator Lindsey Graham. Unfortunately, there are at least 2 breaks in the video for unrelated content / commercials..!

"MUST WATCH: Lindsey Graham BLISTERING Statement On Mueller Report And Hillary Clinton"
              (Run Time 14:09 min/sec)
              by FOX 10 Phoenix
              Published on May 1, 2019

"Hearings to examine the Department of Justice's investigation of Russian interference with the 2016 presidential election."
              The comments under the video were quite interesting. Easy to guess which side of the viewing spectrum most of them came from.

---------------------

Question... So *WHY* are the leftists and DEM leadership so desperate to push for "IMPEACHMENT" now to not just Trump, but suddenly also AG William Barr? (Ummm... because they didn't get the report that they wanted... that's most likely why.)
              What are the left/DEMs, Hollywood and MSM haters hiding that they want immediate impeachment proceedings NOW? They forced the rest of us folks to sit thru 2-1/2 years of wading thru mucky mire using our TAX money to "find" something impeachable or jail-able against Donald Trump, and now they are adding AG Wm Barr into the picture too.

It's been stated on various radio programs as well as various forum discussions on the internet that in about 2 or 3 weeks, there will be a testimonial hearing by someone... About two weeks after that, another hearing will be publicly presented, and yet a third hearing a few weeks after that one! It's been noted in several places/by certain persons...that If anything "bad" or "unexpectedly" happens to any of those people or anyone connected to those stories in the meantime, it should be considered highly suspicious (before, during, and post/after the NEW testimonies are heard).

OH. There is a reason none of these people want to have those hearings go forth. If AG Barr is removed...resigned or impeached... then ALL of this goes away. No one will know any more, nor hear any more, because it will be back to getting President Trump out of office.

TRUTH is this entire fiasco and "circus" goes back to the summer of 2016. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) gave a whopping speech today (05/01/2019) that defined this entire story actually dates back to 2015, which is lonnnnnnng BEFORE Trump even became a candidate for the 2016 USA Presidency. So, what info was destroyed back then (why were certain devices ordered to be destroyed with "hammers") when and what stories got whipped up to keep Trump out of office back then? Lots of them... It starts with
              an...OH...why those events occurred seems that certain people were trying to HIDE evidence and distract the general public into other directions...OH...??!
              Really?

OH... also, it's believed by those tracking these stories that the original cast of characters behind all of this and our TAX dollars being that were wasted for the past 2-1/2 years, those folks are sort of high up the ladder and won't be indicted. So, the lower "fall guys" are the ones who'll end up getting reamed out.

Break out the popcorn/snacks... if WWIII doesn't break out during the process (even in a figurative sense), it's gonna be an interesting MAMA-DRAMA circus from here on out. ugh.

Comment

If you look in the dictionary, you're tagged as "Mostly Harmless".
                If you look in the guide, you are pre revision.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                  Have to change the subject... because THIS is HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!
                  Political climate... and venting allowed *within reason*...

I'm posting this political item into Earth's Future topic to keep it on track (as much as reasonably possible)... Plus, it serves as a sort of booster for a future reason that is not noted in the below video/comments. That future item has to do with deception of the ultimate kind... BUT in the meantime, perhaps after 2-1/2 years, the recent USA political showing of what has led us all up to now is just a preview of what is yet to come? (NO one would be safe at that future time) Again, there is a totally different story I've been trying to get to (not related to the below items), but these other distractions (like the video as noted below) just keep getting in the pesky way...!

BTW, awesome speech by Senator Lindsey Graham. Unfortunately, there are at least 2 breaks in the video for unrelated content / commercials..!

The comments under the video were quite interesting. Easy to guess which side of the viewing spectrum most of them came from.

---------------------

Question... So *WHY* are the leftists and DEM leadership so desperate to push for "IMPEACHMENT" now to not just Trump, but suddenly also AG William Barr? (Ummm... because they didn't get the report that they wanted... that's most likely why.)
                  What are the left/DEMs, Hollywood and MSM haters hiding that they want immediate impeachment proceedings NOW? They forced the rest of us folks to sit thru 2-1/2 years of wading thru mucky mire using our TAX money to "find" something impeachable or jail-able against Donald Trump, and now they are adding AG Wm Barr into the picture too.

It's been stated on various radio programs as well as various forum discussions on the internet that in about 2 or 3 weeks, there will be a testimonial hearing by someone... About two weeks after that, another hearing will be publicly presented, and yet a third hearing a few weeks after that one! It's been noted in several places/by certain persons...that If anything "bad" or "unexpectedly" happens to any of those people or anyone connected to those stories in the meantime, it should be considered highly suspicious (before, during, and post/after the NEW testimonies are heard).

OH. There is a reason none of these people want to have those hearings go forth. If AG Barr is removed...resigned or impeached... then ALL of this goes away. No one will know any more, nor hear any more, because it will be back to getting President Trump out of office.

TRUTH is this entire fiasco and "circus" goes back to the summer of 2016. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) gave a whopping speech today (05/01/2019) that defined this entire story actually dates back to 2015, which is lonnnnnnng BEFORE Trump even became a candidate for the 2016 USA Presidency. So, what info was destroyed back then (why were certain devices ordered to be destroyed with "hammers") when and what stories got whipped up to keep Trump out of office back then? Lots of them... It starts with
                  an...OH...why those events occurred seems that certain people were trying to HIDE evidence and distract the general public into other directions...OH...??!
                  Really?

OH... also, it's believed by those tracking these stories that the original cast of characters behind all of this and our TAX dollars being that were wasted for the past 2-1/2 years, those folks are sort of high up the ladder and won't be indicted. So, the lower "fall guys" are the ones who'll end up getting reamed out.

Break out the popcorn/snacks... if WWIII doesn't break out during the process (even in a figurative sense), it's gonna be an interesting MAMA-DRAMA circus from here on out. ugh.
                  It's all about the Democrats simply not being able to accept that they lost in 2016. They're mindset is that they're entitled to power, and that's that.

Comment

It's all about the Democrats simply not being able to accept that they lost in 2016. They're mindset is that they're entitled to power, and that's that.
                    You had an external power affect your election -FACT-
                    You have a party who does not care -FACT-
                    You have a president that accepted, but did not co-ordinate with said external power, FACT.

Who is entitled to power here?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      You had an external power affect your election -FACT-
                      You have a party who does not care -FACT-
                      You have a president that accepted, but did not co-ordinate with said external power, FACT.

Who is entitled to power here?
                      The folks who won the election.

Countries have been influencing opinions in other countries well before this. We've done it, and it's been done by other countries as well. The biggest difference is the tools used, social media & electronic correspondence which didn't exist to the degree it does today.

What are you going to do if Trump wins again in 2020, which he has a very good chance of doing?

Comment

The folks being one man, strike out the S on that. You're fooling yourself if you believe you have any power at all in this pseudo-democracy of yours. Your vote is useless, because of EC.

What are you going to do if Trump wins again in 2020, which he has a very good chance of doing?
                        Wtf do you want us to do as non-US residents?
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Countries have been influencing opinions in other countries well before this. We've done it, and it's been done by other countries as well. The biggest difference is the tools used, social media & electronic correspondence which didn't exist to the degree it does today.

I hope you get what you deserve.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I hope you get what you deserve.
                            So do I.
                            But that pretty much precludes a whole bunch of folks getting what they don't deserve. Still think that?

Comment

He won't. Im the one who will have to suffer
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                He won't. Im the one who will have to suffer
                                You're not alone comrade, you got the ass but we get the farts in Canada.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X