Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    When they say "the people" they don't mean specifically Americans. Considering the international nature of the LDS church....it'd be kinda hard to make that argument.
    Not when the LDS started off Tood, which I think is what Annoyed was referring to.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

*wonder how in the heck you can have an international church when its' members' only mode of transportation is bicycles*

Comment

*wonders WTF MG (thinks he) knows about the LDS*
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          *wonder how in the heck you can have an international church when its' members' only mode of transportation is bicycles*
          Bikes can take you anywhere, same as cars.

Just ask that Chinese man who drove 500km in the wrong direction.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You're confusing Mormons with the Amish. It's the Amish who won't use cars and such.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Bikes can take you anywhere, same as cars.

Just ask that Chinese man who drove 500km in the wrong direction.
            At great risk to personal safety and only if you have enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              You're confusing Mormons with the Amish. It's the Amish who won't use cars and such.

At great risk to personal safety and only if you have enough time.
              Yeah but don't Mormons also ride bikes all over the place when they go out to evangelize?

Comment

and actually the biggest thing that distinguishes Amish and Mennonites from everyone else is the fact that they rarely interact with the modern world, whereas even though Mormons very well might prefer the use of bicycles to cars and such, they still interact with the modern world

however.....bicycles are a rather poor method of conveyance across bodies of water

and I presume that the man in China didn't cross any such bodies of water on his bicycle

Comment

and actually the biggest thing that distinguishes Amish and Mennonites from everyone else is the fact that they rarely interact with the modern world, whereas even though Mormons very well might prefer the use of bicycles to cars and such, they still interact with the modern world

however.....bicycles are a rather poor method of conveyance across bodies of water

and I presume that the man in China didn't cross any such bodies of water on his bicycle
                  Romney must be an excellent bike rider!
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

AFAIK, Mormons have no difficulty or fear of handling modern tech. As with the Jehovah's, I think their missionaries use cars to get to an area and then park & walk around going door to door on foot.
                    At least in this country. Their missionary program operates world wide, and would use any transportation available if it was practical.

Comment

Best part about living in the city in an apartment -- no Jehovah's witnesses.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...0e33a#comments
                        sigpic

Comment

Quickest way to get rid of a Jehovah's is to say "can you come back next week I'm just off to give blood".

Although I'll never forget my friend who invited them in for tea and had laid out copies of playboy on the coffee table, I've never seen the excuse themselves from a home quicker since.

Comment

I have to admit, I once engaged with a pair showing up at my parents' door cause I thought one of them was really cute. She and I actually had a good debate on what she and I believed or not believed in.

OMGoddess, I can only imagine their faces. Best ever!!

Comment

I thought you advocated tolerance for all? Let's rewrite that a bit, and see if you still think its funny.

Best part about living in a Christian community -- no LGBT folks.
                              Or is making a group of people the butt of a joke ok only if it is a religious group?

Comment

I thought you advocated tolerance for all? Let's rewrite that a bit, and see if you still think its funny.
                                Tolerance for what?

Oh, you think I hate the Jehovah's Witnesses cause they come and spread the word? Something I don't believe in to start with.

I don't -- why else would I engage with them when they do?
                                And when I say, engage -- I don't mean making fun of them. Serious discussion material. I question them, they question me.

Like I said, I've had some pretty interesting discussions with a few (and they kept coming back -- for a while at least).

Or is making a group of people the butt of a joke ok only if it is a religious group?
                                Dude, what are you talking about?

Also, why wouldn't there be LGBT's in Christian communities? Hell, there are plenty of LGBT's (for now) in America and apparently that's a Christian nation now.

I even know a guy who won't marry his boyfriend because he wants it to be a church wedding and that's not possible. He's a devoted Catholic.

Comment

Working...
                                X