Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know, here's a thought.

Rather than tying one's self in knots trying to find ways to let people live where there are insufficient natural resources to sustain them, maybe it would be be better if the people who were trying to live where nature won't support them simply moved elsewhere.

Sorta like those idiots who insisted upon spending umpteen billions rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina. Duh! You're on a coast that is subject to hurricanes and you're below sea level. Think about those facts. Is that a good place to live?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Ya know, here's a thought.

Rather than tying one's self in knots trying to find ways to let people live where there are insufficient natural resources to sustain them, maybe it would be be better if the people who were trying to live where nature won't support them simply moved elsewhere.
      Hey, here is a thought.
      Perhaps people who live in depressed economic area's because of lack of jobs should move somewhere else as well......

Sorta like those idiots who insisted upon spending umpteen billions rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina. Duh! You're on a coast that is subject to hurricanes and you're below sea level. Think about those facts. Is that a good place to live?
      Wouldn't have needed to spend billions in one hit if the infrastructure was supported properly......
      Or warnings were not ignored.........
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        I was actually being somewhat facetious anyway but I think though that given enough time someone could probably come up with a much more cost-effective way of removing salt and other undesirable crap from water to purify it for drinking
        Oh...

BUT... thought leads to questions, solutions and actions.

Kinda like those islanders on the run for rising sea-levels -- climate refugees, they are called.

If other idiots hadn't ignored the warnings and had improved the infrastructure before Katrina, perhaps there would be less need of billions to repair the damage done.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Oh...

BUT... thought leads to questions, solutions and actions.

Kinda like those islanders on the run for rising sea-levels -- climate refugees, they are called.

If other idiots hadn't ignored the warnings and had improved the infrastructure before Katrina, perhaps there would be less need of billions to repair the damage done.
          Over the long haul, you can't beat mother nature. They can design for the worst storm expected, something you get once in a hundred years, and the year after you finish building it, you can get a once in a thousand year storm.

You're still below sea level.

Comment

You realise you are arguing with the absolute worst person here about being under sea level, right?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              You realise you are arguing with the absolute worst person here about being under sea level, right?
              Is she also on a coast smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley?

Comment

I'll take a hurricane over a Tsunami.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  actually.....it's only economically unsustainable because the methods the left-wingers keep coming up with for clean energy and water and what not....and the methods our elected idiots are more than happy to subsidize....are not economically viable

number one....it's generally not a good idea to rely on transient weather conditions as a primary source of power......at best you would need different natural sources for different areas...for example while solar power might not be economically viable in the British Isles where everyone is pasty because the sun makes an appearance rarely , it might be economically viable in the Sahara since desert areas tend to get rather copious amounts of sunlight

it's the same with trying to derive power from other weather conditions as well

What I think though is that if something comes up in this department that's just as economically viable as we have now and could stand on its own without needing taxpayer subsidies...I'd support it wholeheartedly...of course IMO that would generally come from the private sector, not the government sector

The kicker is that fossil fuels receive copious amounts of subsidies and tax credits. I'd agree with you, if we ended all of that and allowed the fossil fuel companies to go at it on their own without government money and while paying their taxes. But I highly doubt the "lord and savior of America" is going to do that.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Is she also on a coast smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley?
                    I'm halfway the country, at sea level.

And when I say halfway, I mean approx. 200km between me and the North Sea. A 2,5h drive.

And plenty of storms that flood the place without the need for a sea to add the extra water.

Comment

January 20, 2017 = (Doctor Who's) Tom Baker's birthday.. my in-law's dad's birthday.. and inauguration day in the USA.

Well,
                      Many moons ago, there was a specific Bible verse that I prayed for my family -- for healing, because too many situations had broken our families apart in more ways than one. I cherished the day healing would actually be revealed.. didn't expect much would happen, but hoped there would be healing from the many issues that had pulled us apart, emotionally and physically. Anyway, healing did occur -- deeper and farther beyond my most hopeful dreams -- to which I am eternally grateful and thankful for.

Anywho... on the national level, I kept seeing our nation being pulled apart (polarized by political issues and PC this, PC that). There's been plenty of discussions about that on the politics topic here as well as other web sites and forums. I wondered if there would ever.....ever be healing for our citizens, the families and young folks across our USA land.

Healing of our (USA) land and people(s) residing within was a *hope* many people had when President Obama came into office in 2008. However, it seemed that the kind of "Hope and Change" that Obama had in (his Administration team's) mind, ended up NOT being the same as to what the rest of some Americans actually wanted. ;*(

But when I came across the following article(s), I couldn't believe what I was reading-- the very same verse I had been praying is at the heart of Vice-President elect Pence's swearing in moment. See article below for further details.

(May require a subscription)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...lism/96782426/
                      "Mike Pence's swearing-in is full of symbolism"
                      Maureen Groppe, USA TODAY, 2:23 p.m. ET, Jan. 19, 2017

WASHINGTON — Vice President-elect Mike Pence, unlike Donald Trump, won't address the crowd after he's sworn into office Friday.
                      . . .
                      The Reagan family Bible that Pence will use Friday was owned by his mother, Nelle.
                      . . .
                      There are comments written throughout the margins of the book, put there by both Nelle and her son.

Reagan used the Bible for his inaugurations as governor and president, with the book open to this underlined verse:

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
                      (2 Chronicles 7:14)

Shirley said it was one of Nelle Reagan's favorite verses. "That's in part why Reagan chose that passage," he said.

Pence, who likes to describe himself as a "Christian, a conservative and a Republican – in that order," coincidentally closed many of his campaign speeches with those words.

"It's an ancient verse that encourages people to pray with a promise that God will hear from heaven and heal their land," he told IndyStar.
                      . . .
                      And there is also more at this next site, which I just found out about. Cool!

"Mike Pence to Take Oath of Office With His Hand on 2 Chronicles 7:14 In Reagan's Family Bible"
                      January 17, 2017
                      (SOURCE: Charisma News
                      Bob Eschliman)

Vice President-elect Mike Pence intends to send a message when he takes the oath of office on Friday afternoon, there can be no doubt about that.

When he is sworn in, his hand will be on a Bible that hasn't been used in 32 years—the Reagan family Bible used by President Ronald Reagan for all of his swearing-in ceremonies as president and governor. Not only that, but the Bible will be turned to an important piece of scripture,

2 Chronicles 7:14:

"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
                      . . .
                      Whether people will see that verse and actually apply it (humbly within their own heart), remains to be seen. There's been so much talk about prophecies surrounding Donald Trump and some of his appointee selections, that such info could either be just mere hope of one's imagination or maybe it is the real deal.
                      Time will reveal what version this ends up being eventually.

Comment

If you're hoping for healing -- Pence's vision is quite possibly not the kind, most Americans will be happy with.

Notwithstanding, they're still using a Bible to swear into a State office. *shakes head*
                        Where's that separation of Church and State?

Comment

If you're hoping for healing -- Pence's vision is quite possibly not the kind, most Americans will be happy with.

Notwithstanding, they're still using a Bible to swear into a State office. *shakes head*
                          Where's that separation of Church and State?
                          To be fair, the Bible is optional, same as it is in the courts. Lets face it, the notion was to swear an OATH on something you would not break, so for you it could be scrolls from the Library of Alexandria.
                          The oath is the important part, not what you swear -on-.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            To be fair, the Bible is optional, same as it is in the courts. Lets face it, the notion was to swear an OATH on something you would not break, so for you it could be scrolls from the Library of Alexandria.
                            The oath is the important part, not what you swear -on-.
                            And from what I read, it's a very delicate copy. Should it rain, they have someone on standby to put it right back in a conservation room.

Also, I would swear on a copy of the book of the dead.
                            Or a Horus-statue. Or perhaps, have my inauguration in the stone circle of Avebury or Stonehenge.

Comment

And from what I read, it's a very delicate copy. Should it rain, they have someone on standby to put it right back in a conservation room.
                              As they should!!
                              Also, I would swear on a copy of the book of the dead.
                              Or a Horus-statue. Or perhaps, have my inauguration in the stone circle of Avebury or Stonehenge.
                              Still, the OATH is the important part, not what you use.
                              I call it Troth.
                              sigpic

Comment

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Comment

Working...
                                X