No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Bacon Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the need for revenue to operate a site.

But as I said, the excess greed of the advertising industry itself has created this problem, and it's up to them to solve it.

Perhaps if ad blocking tech. becomes more widely used, so that most advertising is blocked, the industry will realize that few people will put up with the invasive crap and will modify their advertisements accordingly. If web advertising as a whole goes back to being unobtrusive, simple banner ads that do not pose a threat to computers with scripts, flash objects and such, few people will be motivated to go to the trouble of using ad blocking tools.

Perhaps site operators can begin to insist upon such simple ads, rather than accepting whatever the advertiser wants to show.

Market pressures are the only real way the problem will be solved. Once the industry realizes that people won't put up with the invasive crap, and sees that few people are actually seeing the ads, they may start to revert to unobtrusive ads that people will actually see 'cause it's not worth the trouble to block them. If that happens, people won't bother with ad blockers.

But it is not reasonable to expect people to put their computers at risk so that the advert. industry can use complex advertisements.

Comment

There's a thread in the Mod area where you can report the ads that are causing you problems.

There's no conspiracy here. Site operators can choose which ads they want to show and which to block.

Comment

True - reported ads (with URLs) do get removed.
        sigpic

Comment

Sometimes they do. I reported this ad issue almost a month ago
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm not talking about this site.

What I'm saying is this: Although ad blockers can be set to allow some sites and disallow others, most average users won't bother with this level of granularity. They'll just get frustrated with the ads in general, or want to protect their computers from crapware, install a blocker and not bother to allow the "harmless" sites, they'll just block everything and leave it blocked unless the blocker interferes with content they want to see.

This causes every site operator, even those with unobtrusive ads to lose.

The solution is for the advert. industry as a whole to police itself, removing the need for the blockers in the first place.

Comment

*gives Annoyed Canadian Bacon*, eh

Comment

Is there some issue with Canadian bacon ? If it's anything like their beer, it ought to be quite good, but I confess, I rarely eat bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  Is there some issue with Canadian bacon ? If it's anything like their beer, it ought to be quite good, but I confess, I rarely eat bacon.
                  other than the fact that Canadian bacon is not the same thing as American bacon? nothing

Canadian bacon is basically little slices of ham....quite tasty but not the same thing as the bacon we're used to here in the USA....it's what they use on the Egg McMuffins at McD's

the "eh" is likely a dig at how Canadians tend to say "eh" after everything they say

Comment

And of course, in today's news...
                    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...nd-cancer.html

PARIS — Bacon, hot dogs and cold cuts are under fire: The World Health Organization threw its global weight behind years of doctors' warnings and declared Monday that processed meats raise the risk of colon and stomach cancer and that red meat is probably dangerous, too.
                    Of course, since it's coming out of the U.N., I shall surely give that report all the consideration that it is due...

Anybody seen the trash can?

Comment

unless the pigs have started chillin' out with packs of Marlboroughs then I highly doubt that bacon contains nearly as many carcinogens as cigs and stogies

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        unless the pigs have started chillin' out with packs of Marlboroughs then I highly doubt that bacon contains nearly as many carcinogens as cigs and stogies
                        i think they may be taking things too far, they are also saying that Unprocessed red meat MIGHT give you cancer too, steaks, brisket, ect, , but what they don't want to recognize is that, more than likely, most of the cancer in the world was caused by the atomic tests of the 50's -the 70's, the radio active particles were thrown so high up in the air that the fine particles of dust spread around the world, with the u.s and Russia conducting these tests, you can bet thatwe will be effected by those tests far in to the future, so all this talk of meat, of any kind, causing cancer, seems to be a load of bull to me, a load of medium well cooked bull, with a side of baked potatoes and sour cream,...*drool*...sorry.happy0099.gif

Comment

Well, I did say I would give the report all the consideration that it is due.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                            i think they may be taking things too far, they are also saying that Unprocessed red meat MIGHT give you cancer too, steaks, brisket, ect, , but what they don't want to recognize is that, more than likely, most of the cancer in the world was caused by the atomic tests of the 50's -the 70's, the radio active particles were thrown so high up in the air that the fine particles of dust spread around the world, with the u.s and Russia conducting these tests, you can bet thatwe will be effected by those tests far in to the future, so all this talk of meat, of any kind, causing cancer, seems to be a load of bull to me, a load of medium well cooked bull, with a side of baked potatoes and sour cream,...*drool*...sorry.[ATTACH=CONFIG]41130[/ATTACH]
                            Cancer has been around long before the Cold War
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Or WWII for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Cancer has been around long before the Cold War
                                Probably as long as there has been multi-cellular life on Earth. Cancer is a disease which causes abnormal cell growth, so as soon as there were lifeforms with multiple cells that need to be replaced, there has been the potential for abnormalities in the mitosis process which could lead to the development of tumours, cancerous or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X