Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    Morning guys! I'm here early today...my day off!

Thank you!

I can't remember who we're supposed to PM our entries to.

Thank you Sha! I'll definitely give this a shot today.

Oh, quick question for you (or anybody who wishes to answer): How do you make a border like the one on your Lorn sig? Always wondered how to do that.
    If you do try the eye thing I hope it works out! I think the usefulness of black outline layer depends on how much of the iris you have visible - on my Lorne B&W challenge response, I erased the bottom edge on both eyes because it looked weird having it there.

On the border, I open a new GIMP file the same size as the project I want a border on, with a transparent background. Then I use Filters Decor Add Border - usually I have a X and Y sizes around 10-12 and the colour black. GIMP will add the border by making your image larger, so I use the resize tool to get it back to the size I want (this would be why I do it in a separate file - just seems easier to me to fix the size when it's in it's own file). Then I select and copy it back to my project. That gives you a black border - so the last step for most of mine is to set the mode of the border layer to Grain Extract - so I get the see-through effect - if it comes out too bright I adjust the opacity on that layer as well. I love borders on my stuff so I have created a couple of template files with the border already there - so I can use it if I want or leave it not visible if I don't. If you want it coloured you can do an alpha to selection on that layer and use the gradient tool or the brush tool to fill it with whatever colour or effect you want. Hope that makes sense! If not, feel free to ask me to clarify.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
      Glad to be of help And you can find lots more gradients to download by googling - have fun
      Never thought of that, have downloaded font, textures and brushes but not gradients, will have a look for some. Ta
      sigpic

Comment

WOW!!! Beautiful artwork everyone!!! WOW!!!!

I made for General Jumper One request over graphic thread...

And another entry...

sigpic

Comment

Syfyfan - I love the composition on the Chloe avis and sig!
          sigpic
          Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
          My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
          Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Since Oma-1 is very busy with RL lately...someone had to do this!!! (Jumble, you can close your eyes!)

sigpic
            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Ooh, love your RDA sig XF!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                Since Oma-1 is very busy with RL lately...someone had to do this!!! (Jumble, you can close your eyes!)

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1920/rdathunk.jpg
                Ohhh! Great um... sig.

Jumble, we're on the other page, you can open your eyes now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                  Sarai
                  Ah, thanks. It was too many pages ago and I couldn't remember.

Originally posted by scifan View Post
                  Thanks RIG.. And thanks for the tip. Hope the one I gave works out too.
                  You're welcome. And so do I.

Bandcat! *HUGS* Glad to see you in here.
                  Yeah, Bandcat, welcome!

Originally posted by ShaViva View Post
                  If you do try the eye thing I hope it works out! I think the usefulness of black outline layer depends on how much of the iris you have visible - on my Lorne B&W challenge response, I erased the bottom edge on both eyes because it looked weird having it there.

On the border, I open a new GIMP file the same size as the project I want a border on, with a transparent background. Then I use Filters Decor Add Border - usually I have a X and Y sizes around 10-12 and the colour black. GIMP will add the border by making your image larger, so I use the resize tool to get it back to the size I want (this would be why I do it in a separate file - just seems easier to me to fix the size when it's in it's own file). Then I select and copy it back to my project. That gives you a black border - so the last step for most of mine is to set the mode of the border layer to Grain Extract - so I get the see-through effect - if it comes out too bright I adjust the opacity on that layer as well. I love borders on my stuff so I have created a couple of template files with the border already there - so I can use it if I want or leave it not visible if I don't. If you want it coloured you can do an alpha to selection on that layer and use the gradient tool or the brush tool to fill it with whatever colour or effect you want. Hope that makes sense! If not, feel free to ask me to clarify.
                  Thanks for this! The more tuts I get the better.

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                  Never thought of that, have downloaded font, textures and brushes but not gradients, will have a look for some. Ta
                  Yeah, same here!

Oh, I love this! And the font too!
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
                    Syfyfan - I love the composition on the Chloe avis and sig!
                    Thanks!

I love it!
                    sigpic

Comment

I have two 'kind of' tut to share related to icons. I say 'kind of' because it's more of a general help guide to making icons, but there are some tuts for specific icons too. Anyway, I thought they were a lot of help and I signed up for a 20in20 on LJ after seing them to be able to try lots of new stuff on PS, so I'm sharing them here.

Here: http://icon-tutorial.livejournal.com/11205678.html

And here: http://distractiions.livejournal.com/24047.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Ohhh! Great um... sig.

Jumble, we're on the other page, you can open your eyes now.
                        *sighs with relief* Thanks

Comment

Just an idea but is there any chance of a having a second challenge each week like when we had the unofficial smart dressed challenge last week. For those of us who won't take a week to do the main challenge, for instance I've done 7 different pieces so far for the current challenge and would like to do something else in between.

I understand if we can't and no one else wants to I just wanted to float the idea.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                            Just an idea but is there any chance of a having a second challenge each week like when we had the unofficial smart dressed challenge last week. For those of us who won't take a week to do the main challenge, for instance I've done 7 different pieces so far for the current challenge and would like to do something else in between.

I understand if we can't and no one else wants to I just wanted to float the idea.
                            I've no objection as long as someone volunteers to do the collecting/posting Just hope we don't burn ourselves out and run out of ideas too soon

Seriously, the enthusiasm on this thread is astonishing - and thoroughly heartwarming

Comment

Originally posted by loserinc View Post
                              Lovely work Ladygris
                              Both of them are great.
                              Thanks. Though, I'm likely going to redo them. I did them really late last night, and I noticed part of the background on the Carson pic didn't get erased. And I'm just enough of a perfectionist that it'll bug me.

Comment

General Jumper One wish for one BW...so now another entry...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X