• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some general art I've been working on

sigpic

Comment

Those are beautiful, Nola!

Comment

Okay, here's the tut that mane asked for.

To make this sig.....

Spoiler:
        You will need:

These brushes: Free Grunge Photoshop Brushes

A pic of your character. I used this one:

Open your canvas to your desired size. Fill with Black.

Open the first image, the misty pier. Scale down so that it fits how you want it. Duplicate that layer and set new layer to Overlay, opacity 100%.

New Layer-->Transparent Layer. Using color #edc79a use two of the brushes from the above pack to create the textured pattern over the background. Set layer to Screen, lowering the opacity so it doesn't overwhelm the pic.

Open second texture, the clock. Flip it horizontally so the clock is on the right side of the canvas. Set to Lighten Only, opacity 53%. Scale and move it around until it's showing only what you want. In this case, just a few of the numbers in the corner.

New Layer-->Fill Layer. Color #372640. Set to Overlay, Opacity 58%. Lower the opacity on your eraser to around 50%. (This erases most of the color but leaves a hint of it there. Erase most of the coloring, leaving it darker in the corners.

Add your character image and erase the background. For this one, I had to do a bit of finessing. In the original pic, the stone wall behind Daniel is reflected in his glasses lens. I used a bit of careful erasing to remove that and make it look like it was the background of the sig. Because the coloring was a bit pale, I duplicated the layer and used color #edc79a to warm up his skin tone a bit. Then, I set this layer on Screen with a rather low opacity, just enough to make his skin tone look a bit warmer and less white.

Open final texture, the bokeh. Set to Lighten Only, opacity 100%. I can't remember if I resized this or not. But resize and position as you want. That's what I used to get the purple-ish coloring.

Add your text. For “Daniel,” I used Avanti. For “Jackson,” I used Scriptina. Set your sizes differently so that the first name is smaller. And I used the color picker to choose the colors from the background of the image. Experiment with it!

And you're done!

Comment

Originally posted by syfyfan View Post
          Love love LOVE the Spock sigs.

Originally posted by scifan View Post
          Amazing Art Everyone!!

Sorry for being MIA.

Here's one entry. I did a similar one for Whump thread Challenge... so kinda cheated.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...readweek24.jpg
          Wow, outstanding.

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
          Another "Hush" challenge entry. I am MUCH more satisfied with this one and added text to use it for a sig.

That's gorgeous, lg! I can't wait to try that tut.

Originally posted by syfyfan View Post
          Wonderful entries sci, Nola and lg!

Another entry...
          http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...rall/hush4.jpg
          WOW. The end. Just wow.

Originally posted by Stargate78fan View Post
          Wonderful artworks, Syfyfan, Ladygris, Loserinc, Scifan and Nola.

Syfyfan, I love your Kavan Smith siggy.

Ladygris, I love your Daniel Jackson siggy.

Here's my entry for the no text challenge. It was hard to resist putting text in it!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/Gomeroi/My%20own%20artwork/th_Irresistible.jpg

Does anyone know of any good The Big Bang Theory site where I can find good pics? I feel like making TBBT art.
          Awesome!

Originally posted by loserinc View Post
          Just a closeup without all of the Photoshop from earlier scene.

Spoiler:

I am in awe of both of your skillz.

An entry from me. I actually really like the idea of a hush challenge, since text is so often my downfall.

sigpic
          Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate78fan View Post
            Fantastic challenge entries everyone!

Sorry, Sha to hear you've had such internet troubles!! I love your two wallpapers and thank you for the compliment on my A Good Leader wall. I use Alyssa Milano as an original charrie for my Supernatural fan fic. She plays a good witch.

I love your siggy, Mane and I hope you get better soon.

Wonderful sigs, Syfyfan. I love the second Uniform one and great work on the Spock siggy!!

I love your Harm siggy, Padme. I used to watch that show with my dad (who still watches as they show reruns of it everyday here on our local channel or one of them).

Great attempt at 3d Yami.

No next challange will be a challenge for me, as I love text!!
            Thanks! I've been watching it on Thursdays since that's when Cloo airs it and I never did any JAG art. First fanfic I ever read was the JAG virtual seasons after season 6, but I never got to make anything for it when the show was on.
            Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Rocket! Looking forward to what you do with the tut.

Comment

Okay, here's the tut that mane asked for.

To make this sig.....
                http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...cterBanner.jpg
                Thanks for the tut - I think I may try this. I really like the "reflection" in Daniel's glasses too...well done!
                Originally posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
                An entry from me. I actually really like the idea of a hush challenge, since text is so often my downfall.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...rtroilight.jpg
                this is just beautiful!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  Thanks for the tut - I think I may try this. I really like the "reflection" in Daniel's glasses too...well done!

this is just beautiful!
                  Thank you!

I think it took four or five layers to get the glasses right. No, thinking about it, only three on top of the other layers of the character.

Comment

I tried your tut lg - I couldn't quite figure out the erasure step after the purple fill layer. Still, it turned out pretty well.

sigpic

Comment

It looks great, Nola!

Um. . .erasure layer? OH!!!

Basically, all I did was mess with the opacity on the eraser. In Gimp, you can lower the opacity on the eraser so that it'll erase only, say, 50% of the color instead of all the color. I use that a lot to add shadow around the edges and such.

That looks really, really good!

Comment

You can do that in PS too, and soften the brush edge too, but I just didn't really get why to erase. I tried it in the center and it just looked wrong so I left it without erasing. Great tut - lovely stuff.
                        sigpic

Comment

You can do that in PS too, and soften the brush edge too, but I just didn't really get why to erase. I tried it in the center and it just looked wrong so I left it without erasing. Great tut - lovely stuff.
                          I erased, basically, because I couldn't get the opacity right otherwise. I didn't like any of the other layer modes, but the erasure layer did what I wanted.

Comment

You can set the percent amount of fill and then set the opacity too on a fill layer in PS. I tried that, and it did make a bit of difference. I liked it better with 100% fill and then 58% opacity on that purple fill layer, rather than a lower percentage to start with and then lowering it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

You can set the percent amount of fill and then set the opacity too on a fill layer in PS. I tried that, and it did make a bit of difference. I liked it better with 100% fill and then 58% opacity on that purple fill layer, rather than a lower percentage to start with and then lowering it again.
                              I will have to look and see if Gimp can do that. But that fill layer did make a difference I liked as well.

Comment

Um. . .I don't have an answer since I don't do GIFs. Have you checked Shadowplay?
                                No. What is Shadowplay? *pokes the link suspiciously*

The only way I know to do it is to make the entire sig a gif - multiple animated layers - with the gif as part of those layers. There's probably an easier way (there usually is! I *always* seem to do things the hard way) In PS it can be done as an import of (a QT movie) layers, but that is not very satisfactory as it does not repeat and keep playing.

1. take your gif apart into it's constituent layers
                                2. make a copy of your sig for each layer and merge with each layer individually - make sure you don't move the gif or it will be jumpy
                                3. re-animate
                                Ah, problem is, I only have the gif, not the single images. It would be a mess to separate them *urgh*.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                                Sig & Avi by Josi
                                sigpic
                                LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                                I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X