Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all!

Been playing with GIMP & have a question:

I have my background layer in place, with three pic layers. Am trying to get one pic to sort of blend with another (at least make the edges less pronounced). It was one of the first layers added to the background layer but now it won't let me play with it. Everytime I try to use the "move" function or the "scale" tool, it goes to the last pic I added instead. Any ideas?

And I can't get it to save on my computer for uploading anywhere, so I can't even copy & paste a pic here.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Hi WW - quick help if I can give it ... using the move tool, there are two settings - one picks a layer to move that might not be the one you want, the other is move active layer - you need the second one selected to move the layer you have clicked on in the layers window. As for saving it, you need to save it as a jpg or something like that - GIMP format is xcf which probably isn't compatible with anything else. Try Save As and scroll down the file types (second half of that screen, you may need to expand something to get it to show you the file types) - a fair ways down is jpg Hope that helps - happy to help more later with GIMP open so I can be more precise on what you'd see on your screen (i.e. later today for me when it's not almost 1:20 am!) Happy GIMPing
      sigpic

Comment

Hey WW, do you have the layer you want to move/scale selected in the layers window? I've been known to get frustrated when it won't do what I want, then realise that I'm not working with the right layer!
        sigpic
        Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

[[HUGE HUGS]] Thank you, Sha! Sweet dreams!

So, here's the pic:

I'm trying to get the three pics to blend better, maybe just softening the edges. Between the warrior & the city, I managed to get the program to add sparks & it doesn't look so bad, I think, but I cannot get the same (or any other) effect between the city & the artist.
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
            Hey WW, do you have the layer you want to move/scale selected in the layers window? I've been known to get frustrated when it won't do what I want, then realise that I'm not working with the right layer!
            Thanks, Mr! I think that may have been part of it. I tend to just hit buttons until something works and then have no idea what I did. I got it to move that pic around now, but see my post response to Sha about the blending.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
              [[HUGE HUGS]] Thank you, Sha! Sweet dreams!

I'm trying to get the three pics to blend better, maybe just softening the edges. Between the warrior & the city, I managed to get the program to add sparks & it doesn't look so bad, I think, but I cannot get the same (or any other) effect between the city & the artist.
              Okay so you want to blend between the city and the final picture?
              sigpic

Comment

Yup! Am having issues. The brush will sweep over but no results show.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                  Yup! Am having issues. The brush will sweep over but no results show.
                  I'll PM you
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Gotta run for an hour or so, but will be back.
                    sigpic

Comment

another challenge entry

sigpic

Comment

Nola, glad you're having fun with this one

Not challenge entries, just having fun trying to work out what those Instagram filters actually do!

And then I did this, which really was just a case of extending the background and absolutely nothing else, but I wanted to be able to put him on my desktop so thought I'd make him fit!

sigpic
                        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Lovely Nola, now there's a film I haven't seen in a while

So pretty Josi, and it looks like he didn't need much persuading to fit so nicely on that lovely WP
                          sigpic

Comment

Josi, lovely work! Mr, love your new McKay sig that you're sporting!

Btw, Josi, I figured a Gimp way around the Instagram filters. I'll post what I'm working on when I get it done, and we can see how closely it compares.

Comment

Okay, here's my Gimp version of Josi's tut. I actually came up with some color balancing that did a fairly decent job of matching the old-fashioned look, though it's not the same.

Btw, it does tell a story, but it's a story that I'll be writing for NaNoWriMo this year. I use art to keep myself in the right mentality for stories.

Comment

Been kind of a busy weekend for me, so it was nice to come in and catch up on all the beautiful artwork!

Great job on Josi’s style there, ~lg. Loved them both.

Josi… loved the Castle art… the color versus black and white is so classic and wonderful.

Nola… Men in Black is a great movie to pick for an entry, loved Wizard of Oz as well. I also had to smile that you are hooked on textures now… they look great.

WW… not sure if you’ve worked out the blending, but great job so far on your first venture out with Gimp. If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask.

Mr… loved the mask type texture you created and subsequent wallpaper… amazing.

My entry tells the story of Cold Lazarus... bonus is that it fits two challenges... this one and the Flyboy Rewatch/Challenge. Hope to have time for another, but it is looking to be just as busy during the week. It will be a lift to be able to see what you all create each day though

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X