Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Science View Post
    What do you mean by 'send them to' you?
    Sorry, I tend to forget that not everyone has been around here as long as I have

The easiest way is to left-click on my name then click the 'private message' option to open the pm box with 'Jumble' in the recipient box. Put 'Challenge' in the subject line. You then put your artwork in exactly as you did on here. Click 'submit message' and you're done

Comment

Banner by Maneth

CHALLENGE 191

"Resources hoarding"

So this week's challenge is to create a piece using one or more of the textures in this pack.

Josiane

Yamiinsane

Science

Jumble

Comment

Banner by Lilith

Tutorial Week 56

This week is a Tutorial Week. For the first week every month, we don’t issue a challenge, but instead want to encourage thread participants to share their expertise and try something new, using tutorials.

This is how it works:

1. Share a tutorial: Write a tutorial for a piece of art you have made recently, or post a piece of art you have made with the link to the tutorial you followed when you made it.

2. Follow a tutorial: Use one (or more) of the tutorials that other thread members have shared during the week to make a piece of art of your own.

The idea is that we should both teach something and learn something throughout the week

It’s not obligatory to do both, if you’re limited for time, but we’d like to encourage you to please both share and follow at least one tutorial if at all possible.

At the end of the week we will post all the tutorials along with any art made following each tutorial, so that we can see all the different interpretations all together.

Please PM your entries, including a link to the tut,
        to Josiane by 5pm (GMT) on Friday.
        Please remember to put your name on your
        artwork or in the filename - thanks

Comment

I assembled this with some of my photographs.
          tutorial_56_rule_of_thirds.jpg

Comment

^Wonderful Tut. I've read several explanations of this rule but, with the grids and examples you provided, I think I only "got it" now. And wonderful photos, BTW.
            sigpic
            Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
            Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Hey all! It's been forever!!!!!! RL has been so that I haven't been online for fun much. Hope you all are doing awesome!

I don't think I've opened Gimp since Christmas and I was jonesing to do something creative and came up with this the other night. I liked the wallie so much that I made a smaller one for my phone

Phone version:

Last edited by IamDKScully; 05 June 2016, 10:27 AM. Reason: Can't spell :P
              sigpic

----------
              FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Finally found time to enter a challenge again. I've really missed it.

Based on Josi's tut
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                  Love your simple sig, Jumble. Amen to that

I half-made this last week for my simple entry but couldn't quite get it to work. Came back to it today and wrestled it into submission. Too late for the challenge, but I wrote a tut for it so it can count for this week instead

Spoiler:

1. Place your picture on the canvas. If like mine it doesn't fill the entire canvas, duplicate it and use the duplicated layer(s) to fill in the gaps - this means your background will be the same colours/shades/texture as the main pic. Don't worry about blending in, the next step fixes the hard lines

2. Make a stamp and use the gaussian blur with a relatively large setting - this will blur out all those hard edges and blend it all in to make a consistent background.

3. Add a layer mask and then use this to erase the part of this layer over your character, so as to unblur them.

4. Add a new layer, fill with #362f2d and set to color. This makes it black and white - I tend to prefer this as a method of desaturating as it's non-destructive - easier to change your mind

5. Brighten using a curves adjustment layer - settings as follows:
                  - Point 1: input 167, output 225
                  - Point 2: input 45, output 92
                  Or as always, whatever works for your picture

6. Next a selective color layer:
                  - Blacks: Yellow -15, Black +17
                  Upping the black on the blacks on selective color is a good way to increase contrast without darkening your picture overall.

7. Next add this texture, resized to fit the entire canvas, and set to screen at 50%
                  http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88/timepresent/th_113499-1366x768.jpg

8. Now the text. Fonts are Castellar and Merveille, both in black but set to overlay.

9. For a touch of colour, add a new layer under the text layers, and use a big soft brush to dab some colour under the text. I used #9e0039. Set this layer to screen.

10. Next make a stamp of the whole thing and sharpen.

11. Finally, add a new layer, fill with #ebebeb and set to color burn.
                  Been a while since I have been in here. I went back through some of the pages and there is some AMAZING artwork in here. Great job to all!!!

Here is something I made sort of based off this tut. Thanks so much!!

sigpic
                  Sig made by me

Comment

Nice to see familiar faces here again, welcome back DJ and DKS
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Nice to see familiar faces here again, welcome back DJ and DKS
                      Thanks Maneth!! I am going to try and be more active in here. My muse is mainly Colin at the moment, but I want to try more things out and the challenges are always fun!
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by me

Comment

Well, Colin's a good source of inspiration. You'll note that The Three Musketeers are rather popular here at the moment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, Colin's a good source of inspiration. You'll note that The Three Musketeers are rather popular here at the moment.
                          Ahhh, that's what those are from. I was wondering. I have not watched that yet. Might have to give it a go this summer.
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by me

Comment

I haven't either, but since I like looking at hairy guys in leather, I just might give it a go myself...
                            sigpic

Comment

I haven't either, but since I like looking at hairy guys in leather, I just might give it a go myself...
                              HAHA! That seems to be my aesthetic at the moment as well. Great minds!!

sigpic
                              Sig made by me

Comment

Wow! I whistled at those.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X