No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'm trying to learn how to do fading around edges - how do you do it?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/evil.jpg
      You mean fading one pic into another?

I know others use masks (which I have not been able to figure out yet!). I use a large fuzzy brush and just play with it until it's faded.

Comment

I was using an eraser set at about 35% and just kept at it, but there has to be another way.
        sigpic

Comment

I was using an eraser set at about 35% and just kept at it, but there has to be another way.
          I think there is, but erasing until I get the pics to blend is still my favorite.

Comment

Thanks, I feel like an idiot when folks talk about masks and things. I'm just trying out different stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've tried masks and different mask tuts. They've just not made any sense to me.

Comment

Hey, everyone. New set (since I'm apparently still enjoying cropping ).

Comment

Lovely set lg - as always.

sigpic
                  Coming January 2017

Comment

Thank you. I think I had over 50 layers at one point before I started merging the "piles" of pics down. Made keeping things straight very interesting! LOL!

Comment

Love it lg
                      sigpic
                      Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Thank you, yamii.

I don't know the woman on your current sig, but I do it. Great job!

Comment

Nice set lg!

Check this site for photoshop and this site for Gimp using mask or you can use an eraser
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I feel like an idiot when folks talk about masks and things. I'm just trying out different stuff.
                            Don't feel bad - we all had to start somewhere and if I know one thing about artworkers it's that they love to help and pass on tips to newbies

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                            Yeah, I've tried masks and different mask tuts. They've just not made any sense to me.
                            Me neither

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post

Me neither
                              I don't use PS very often , but when I wanna cut just a particular part of the image (like faces, body... ), I always use masks. I like them!!!!
                              sigpic
                              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Great artwork everyone - way too many pages for me to catch up on and comment for. Sadly I was too sick last week to enter something for the cropping challenge - very impressed with what everyone did.

I'm not a mask expert but if I have something like a couple of larger pictures that I want to fade into each other I use masks (GIMP). On the top layer, right click and choose add layer mask - make it white. Then choose the gradient tool (set to black and white) and click and drag from the point of overlap with the lower layer to the edge of your top image. If you find your top image totally disappears then it just means you've dragged your gradient in the wrong direction so undo and try it the other way. The last step is to right click on the layer that has the mask and choose apply layer mask. Once you do this you can't remove the mask BUT the beauty of doing this is that you can repeat the same steps again - to get more fade or to change the direction of your fade. Sometimes I've done many repetitions to get as much fade all around an image that I needed. I'm not sure if I've explained this very well - if not and you are interested I can take some screen dumps and make more of a tutorial for this

The other thing masks are useful for is to get rid of everything around a selection - you can apply a layer mask - type selection - and it only retains what's selected. Again to make it permanent (and thus be able to drag things around and copy them to other layers/files, you need to apply the layer mask. (of course you can just do this by inverting your selection and pressing delete - there is always more than one way to do everything in GIMP!! )

Is any of that useful?
                                Last edited by ShaViva; 19 September 2011, 04:11 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X