Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great arties so far!

Here's the tut mane and Jumble asked for.

To make this in PS:

NOTE: I have included instructions for GIMP users for a similar effect. This has no selective coloring, just a gradient map.

Spoiler:
    You will need:

Open your canvas to whatever size you need and fill with white.

Open your first image, the black couch, and paste into your canvas. Scale up or down as needed and position wherever you want it.

Open the second image, the torn edge. Go to Image-->Adjustments-->Invert. (In GIMP, Color-->Invert) Rotate 90 degrees clockwise (Edit-->Tranform) and set to Screen, opacity 51% and fill 42%. (GIMP doesn't have fill, so don't worry about it.) Scale up or down as needed and place on the left side of the canvas, letting a few of the feathers show.

Open the third image, the texture. Scale and position as desired. Set to Screen, opacity 100%. Go to Filters-->Blur-->Gaussian blur and raise it until the lettering has been obliterated but you still have the lighting effect.

Duplicate this layer. Set the duplicated layer to Overlay, opacity 50%.

Open the fourth image, the squares. Desaturate it (Image-->Adjustments-->Desaturate in PS, Color-->Desaturate-->Luminosity in GIMP), invert the colors, and set to Lighten Only, opacity 20%. Scale up and position as needed.

Duplicate this layer as well. Move it around so that you've got the texture at different parts of the canvas.

Add a gradient map of #16161d to #ffffff. (In GIMP, go to Layers-->New Layer. Fill with color #16161d.) Set to Overlay, opacity 100%.

Make a stamp. (Ctrl—Alt—Shift—E in PS, Layer-->New from Visible in GIMP.) Duplicate that layer and scale down until you've got a smaller square in the center. Add a Stroke of around 50 px for a wallie, or however large you want it, in color #fafafa. (In PS and GIMP, you should find this under Edit-->Stroke.)

Add a color fill layer with color #796958. (Layer-->Fill Layers-->Solid Color in PS, Layer-->New Layer in GIMP.) Set to color, opacity 100%. Using either your eraser or layer mask, “erase” the color from around the background, leaving it only over the middle square.

Open your fifth image, your character. Using either your eraser or magic wand, cut out the character. Position him/her wherever you want them on the wallie. Off to one side works best. Duplicate this layer, set to Overlay, opacity 24%, and desaturate the overlay layer. This removes a lot of the reds from the character.

Open your final image, the rose. Scale down this very large stock and set to Overlay, opacity 100%. Position it behind your character and color layer so that the twirly things come up around your character and over your entire piece.

TEXT
    Spoiler:
    For this one, I used Caviar Dreams, all caps, 29 pts, in color #141417 for the text around the square. Place the text as needed. For the “It's all about the character,” I used the same font in color #fbebda, sizing the word “character” in a larger size than the other. Position whatever text you want for this part in the middle of your brown area.

And you're done. Relatively easy wallie.

If you've got any questions, please ask.
    Last edited by ladygris; 22 January 2013, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Awesome Art Everyone. Thunking majorly over Jeremy's art. Good thing its cold outside. *phew*
      Ladygris... this lastest on Jeremy is... I'm a lost for words. Gorgeous. Thanks for the tut.

Comment

Ladygris, the tut is incredible. Thanks for sharing!
        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Great tuts lg. I always love how you're able to incorporate such diverse textures.

I've tried to pass out green but GW is being stingy again. Darn it.

Challenge entry from me:

I know we need to include which texture number we used when we PM Sarai, but are we supposed to say which one we use here too?
          sigpic

Comment

Some have, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Makes it more interesting IMO if you don't know what you're requesting in advance. Nice tut lg!

Lovely arties everyone!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
              Awesome Art Everyone. Thunking majorly over Jeremy's art. Good thing its cold outside. *phew*
              Ladygris... this lastest on Jeremy is... I'm a lost for words. Gorgeous. Thanks for the tut.
              Thanks. I have this thing for crops lately.

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
              Ladygris, the tut is incredible. Thanks for sharing!
              Thank you. It felt a little odd to be writing a tut that covered both Gimp and PS at the same time.

Originally posted by Estrela View Post
              Great tuts lg. I always love how you're able to incorporate such diverse textures.
              Thank you. Honestly, when I feel like my art is missing something, I just throw in random images and textures that catch my eye until something works. That's how that rose texture got in there. It just worked. (Though, because of the way CS2 works, I had probably 20 windows open at once before I remembered to close them all down and not just delete the layer from my artwork. )

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Some have, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Makes it more interesting IMO if you don't know what you're requesting in advance. Nice tut lg!

Lovely arties everyone!
              Thank you, mane.

Comment

Jumble said it doesn't quite matter, just as long as the texture is used somehow. I used three textures in 1 entry anyway!
                Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                As always, the challenge is open to your own interpretation - use the textures any way you please.
                Got it. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                I'm with you on this one mane.
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

Thanks for the tut lg

Being able to open so many pics/textures at once is one of the things I love about PS. I usually have loads in there to choose from. I just click the magnifyer to shrink them down, that way I can see them all at once. When I'm done I just close PS and everything disappears

Comment

Could I please ask that we keep negative/critical comments about particular actors/directors/shows/whatever off the thread, whether related to artwork or not? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but having such discussions on here strays into endangering rule number one of this thread - that "all art is welcome" no matter the subject. We'd hate for anyone to think twice about posting something they'd made because they've seen critical comments about the person/show they're a fan of from other thread members in here.

Thank you.

And now back to your regularly scheduled artwork
                    sigpic
                    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

lg, can you check your link to Caviar Dreams please? I can't get it to work

Comment

How about from Dafont? Or Fontsquirrel?
                        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

How about from Dafont? Or Fontsquirrel?
                          Yes, I got it from Dafont - just thought I'd give lg a heads-up so that she can change it and save others having a problem with it

Comment

Awesome, Estrela! Love your take !
                            Thanks for the Tut, lg . Love the set so maybe ...
                            josi, sorry for the OT *iz ashamed*. I try to stay focused on the art.

Talking 'bout art ... a friend of mine made me aware of an icon-Tut-comm at LJ. Don't know if anyone of you knew that before. I decided to give another Tut a try - well, somehow. Using a Tut for an icon on a WP was ... uhm funny and at one time I simply stopped and finished it on my own. But somehow ... I like the result:

The Tut I somehow used is this one.
                            And instead of the textures this artist used I used the challenge-textures 11 and 13, so - challenge entry

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                            Sig & Avi by Josi
                            sigpic
                            LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                            I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Hyn, that's a gorgeous one and a great tut...how did you find that site?

I'd green you if I could but it says I need to spread some reputation around first...
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the tut lg

Being able to open so many pics/textures at once is one of the things I love about PS. I usually have loads in there to choose from. I just click the magnifyer to shrink them down, that way I can see them all at once. When I'm done I just close PS and everything disappears
                                And that's something that's different for me, so I'm still getting used to it.

Yes, I got it from Dafont - just thought I'd give lg a heads-up so that she can change it and save others having a problem with it
                                I got it. I forgot the second " on the link.

Thanks, Hyn. Gorgeous result from that tut, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X