Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like immigration might have been an even bigger motivation for the Brexit vote than I suspected.

Is there really this strong of anti-immigrant attitude over there? Seems to be a bunch of folks emboldened by the recent decision.

Britain sees surge in xenophobic attacks amid decision to leave European Union

LONDON – An Eastern European family in Rugby finds dog excrement shoved through its mailbox. A Londoner nearly gets into a fight over drunken slurs shouted on a crowded subway car. A Polish teenager in Gloucestershire is taunted with threats of deportation at her high school.

In the wake of last Thursday's vote to leave the European Union, Britain has seen a surge in xenophobia expressed in taunts, threats and worse. For many, foreign- and native-born, the U.K. has suddenly become much scarier place.

"Before Friday we lived in a tolerant society," said Oana Gorcea, a 32-year-old Romanian who has lived in Britain since she was a teenager. "I've been here 13 years, but I've never felt like I had to hide where I came from. But from Friday, things completely changed."

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      And what would you suggest? That the government do what it wants, regardless of the views of the people?
      You seem to willfully ignore the part about who voted that same government into power....
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

FH, the Belgian ex-Prime Minister made an excellent speech against Nigel Farage in the European Parliament this morning.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like immigration might have been an even bigger motivation for the Brexit vote than I suspected.

Is there really this strong of anti-immigrant attitude over there? Seems to be a bunch of folks emboldened by the recent decision.

Britain sees surge in xenophobic attacks amid decision to leave European Union
          I dunno, perhaps I should ask a Mexican rapist if xenophobia allows for stupid decisions
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            I dunno, perhaps I should ask a Mexican rapist if xenophobia allows for stupid decisions
            Does Britain have a problem with Mexican immigrants? We're not talking about the U.S. here.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You seem to willfully ignore the part about who voted that same government into power....
              Politicians doing an about-face after they are elected is not exactly an unheard of phenomenon, nor is it unheard of that their votes are bought be various interests.

If the voters directly vote on an issue, that should be the end of it. The voters have spoken. No further discussion needed.

Comment

Does Britain have a problem with Mexican immigrants? We're not talking about the U.S. here.

You completely missed his point, and at the same time showed how comfortable you are with the idea of singling out Mexicans as rapists. Anyone else would have simply questioned why he combined the two words. Considering who your lord and savior is...

Politicians doing an about-face after they are elected is not exactly an unheard of phenomenon, nor is it unheard of that their votes are bought be various interests.

If the voters directly vote on an issue, that should be the end of it. The voters have spoken. No further discussion needed.
                If the interests that buy those votes agree with your views, how often have to ranted against that, I wonder? And before you espouse the virtues of a direct democracy, you have to ask yourself first if the UK even is a direct democracy. It's not the US. Their political tradition is not the same.

Now I don't doubt that their political tradition is that much different than ours (confirmation? Explanation from any British poster?) the American tradition is based on two schools of thought. The first one is what you believe, that politicians are elected to answer to their constituency's will and implement their will as more of a direct democracy. However, the other school which was the founding fathers' school of thought is that politicians are selected caretakers. They are voted into office based on their merits and core principles, but do not answer to their constituency's direct will. They make choices based on their constituency's needs not whims. If their choices are not appreciated or disliked, come election time is the one time that they can express their will.

That said, the UK is not one country. It's four countries cooperating together under one government. The fact of the matter here is that two countries voted in and two countries voted out. There is cause for parliament to decide to not follow the popular vote (in much the same way the US Electoral College does this every 4 years). Of course as others have mentioned, they would do this at their own peril. If they do ignore the voters, they get voted out of office and loose their political clout until such a time.

It is what it is.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

While i agree to some degree, the Brexit vote was a landslide 51.8 in favor. Yes that's sarcasm. A slight majority screws over a slight minority. But if the government wants something, it needs a 2/3rd majority.

It's a big part of it, yes. Not that it terribly matters, non-EU migration is something the British government has control of, is the main contributor to immigration yet people blame the EU for it.

Wales vote Out even though it receives the most EU money and in fact receives more EU money than it pays.

Then there's the outright lies about the EU (that 350 million pound a week is a lie, and spending it on the NHS is also a lie).

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

You completely missed his point, and at the same time showed how comfortable you are with the idea of singling out Mexicans as rapists. Anyone else would have simply questioned why he combined the two words. Considering who your lord and savior is...
                    Excuse me? We were discussing Britain, GF brings Mexicans into the discussion for some reason I don't see, and you criticize me? Something not quite right with that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      While i agree to some degree, the Brexit vote was a landslide 51.8 in favor. Yes that's sarcasm. A slight majority screws over a slight minority. But if the government wants something, it needs a 2/3rd majority.

It's a big part of it, yes. Not that it terribly matters, non-EU migration is something the British government has control of, is the main contributor to immigration yet people blame the EU for it.

Wales vote Out even though it receives the most EU money and in fact receives more EU money than it pays.

Then there's the outright lies about the EU (that 350 million pound a week is a lie, and spending it on the NHS is also a lie).

Someone told me otherwise in this thread. Elaborate.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                        FH, the Belgian ex-Prime Minister made an excellent speech against Nigel Farage in the European Parliament this morning.
                        From the looks of it, it wasn't just Guy who came down on Farage.

Someone told me otherwise in this thread. Elaborate.
                        Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result

Comment

Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result
                          Just a preview, a taste, of Trump's first national address to the country should he get elected then.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Just a preview, a taste, of Trump's first national address to the country should he get elected then.
                            Speaking of Trump, he might be doing it sooner:

Is Donald Trump softening his tone?

His campaign is putting the finishing touches on a policy memo that would change his proposed ban on Muslim immigration to the United States. Instead of focusing the ban on Muslims, Trump would ban immigrants coming from countries with known terrorism links, training and equipment.

Meanwhile, he's eased off his hardline language calling for deporting all undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.
                            Garhkal's going to disappointed.

And for the Brits - more bad news:
                            Brexit will mean higher taxes, less spending for U.K.

Comment

It was fun to watch.

Did you see the (SNP) Scottish MEP got a standing ovation for his speech?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                Did you see the (SNP) Scottish MEP got a standing ovation for his speech?
                                I did read that, yes.
                                As they did for the one from Northern-Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                                X