This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia aren't part of the Commonwealth or of geographical Europe. Yet they are in Eurovision.

This again goes back to the whole difference beteeen Europe and the European Union, those countries are members of the Council of Europe, (that separate entity not connected to the EU), so on the one hand part of Europe while not being in Europe, confused yet? Eurovision isn't a European Union competition.

What do the Brits here think of this, when MP's want vote on things the winning side has to have 2/3rd of the vote as this is considered a clear majority, it's to avoid situations like this referendum where the vote is crazy close - should the referendum have had the same ground rules? Should Dave have come out and said the vote won't be acted on unless its clear?

That way he wouldn't be now jobless, the country wouldn't be in a mess, the Brexit camp would still have won, but more importantly, they wouldn't now be committed to literally splitting the country in half whatever they do.

Like with most things this government has done, is referendum was a poorly thought out mess of biblical proportions, but unlike other cockups they usually u-turn on two weeks later, Dave has made it that they can't this time.

Comment

Dave isn't jobless. He's not PM anymore, but I wouldn't call him unemployed.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

He'll be back bench MP until the next election, the guy has never done a hard days work in his life, (unless you consider being a back room tea maker come filing clerk hard work), so yeah in essence, being PM was his only job in life.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          It's not all black and white you know.[/COLOR]
          Actually, it is very much black and white.
          Someone is breaking the law or not. Someone is in the country legally or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Clearly, the island has forgotten the refugees it did accept some 75 years ago, and some 30 years before that.
            To paraphrase, when we want more migrants, we will colonize for them.

Sadly, it's the working class stiffs who will do the most suffering -- I hope they realize that, even if it's too late.
            Some do, unfortunately, they are the twits who thought "but my vote does not count, I'm just sticking it to DA MAN!!"
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
              I didn't mention refugees...

They can't separate the clauses? Free movement of goods, free movement of people?

It has to be both, or nothing?
              For what the EU, the "grand experiment" hoped for after WW2, yes, it was an all or nothing venture. Imagine if the US had border checks and required passports to move across the state lines, yet still wanted to act and be "united".
              The Brexit people are whining about being "ruled from Brussels", yet in theoretical terms, they might as well be California complaining about being "ruled by DC".
              You make a sacrifice for the greater good of your region, or you don't, it's the nations call.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                I wouldn't assume that is sarcasm. As in the US, the people who are whining about losing the vote will try various stunts to get their way anyway. And I would bet that the mainstream media there opposed brexit anyway; "the powers that be" like things the way they are, it's the ordinary working stiffs that supported brexit as I understand it.
                No, it was angry old farts waving their canes, and their stench. The soon to be working stiffs, who will effectively support those angry old cane wavers wanted to stay because they were not high on Channel No:5 and saying "when I was a kid"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                  Australia is negotiating a free trade deal with the EU. Will they have to accept free movement of people too?
                  If we were the Isle of Mann, we might, but hey, we aren't.
                  sigpic

Comment

So who is this Nigel Farage?

Is he the git that started this whole Brexit thing off? Isn't democracy fun?
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      The UK has not won the Eurovision since 1997, prior to that, they last won in 1981 then 1961. Heck Ireland has had the most wins at 7 of any country..
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ontest_winners
                      Wow, can you remind me how that is relevant to...........
                      Anything?
                      We came second in Eurovision, we were -killing- the professional votes, ahead by almost 100 than any other nation, and while I loved the song, and think Dami was a brilliant representative for us as a nation, we have no real place in -EUROVISION- on a contestant level. A visitor to show shared heritage, a guest to showcase talent, sure, but not as a contestant.
                      The UK however has -every right- to be in Eurovision, and it's win/loss record is utterly irrelevant.
                      sigpic

Comment

UKIP and its leader sound like repugnant people.
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

A little off topic but when Boris Johnson announced he wouldn't be standing I fell off my seat. Laughing...... I have never done that in my life before today....
                          Last edited by Arica15; 30 June 2016, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            For what the EU, the "grand experiment" hoped for after WW2, yes, it was an all or nothing venture. Imagine if the US had border checks and required passports to move across the state lines, yet still wanted to act and be "united".
                            The Brexit people are whining about being "ruled from Brussels", yet in theoretical terms, they might as well be California complaining about being "ruled by DC".
                            You make a sacrifice for the greater good of your region, or you don't, it's the nations call.
                            A bizarre analogy given that the US is a nation state where secession is unconstitutional. I'd say it would be more like US citizens being sold on a pan-Americas free trade area only to later discover that they're unable to control their borders or their legislation. They would never accept it, and rightly so.

Comment

@ Arica15
                              My guess, you were probably not the only one.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Some do, unfortunately, they are the twits who thought "but my vote does not count, I'm just sticking it to DA MAN!!"
                              DA MAN probably doesn't care.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                @ Arica15
                                My guess, you were probably not the only one.
                                Nope, well yes, there was a collective thud as everybody landed, big enough it caused a mini earthquake

What an abslute cock that man is, I'm betting Gove has been convinced to be the sacrificial lamb, the only thing I don't like about Teresa May is her obsession with monitoring what every citizen is doing at all seconds of the day, other than that she could be quiet an interesting PM (because lets face, nobody but Boris would have stod a snots chance of beating her).

Congratulations Mrs May, I knew there was a reason you kept a low profile during campaigning, now just do the Country a favour and kick George Osborne to the curb asap, if you do that the Country might even forgive you for calling another referendum or telling the Leave lot to go f*** with themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X