Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Thanks to sacrifice and service of our brave men and women in uniform, the war in Iraq is over, the war in Afghanistan is winding down, al Qaeda has been decimated, Osama bin Laden is dead.” - Barack Obama, November 1, 2012

“This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years.” - Barack Obama, September 10, 2014

“The United States has evacuated its remaining personnel, including about 100 special operations forces, from Yemen because of the deteriorating security situation there, U.S. officials said on Saturday. The U.S. pullout… marked a further setback in U.S. counterterrorism efforts against a powerful al Qaeda branch in the country.” - Reuters, March 21, 2015

American foreign policy under Obama is one uninterrupted string of catastrophes.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Political and Religious discussions are always difficult for message boards to handle, because people get emotional and start making personal attacks & insults, and in some cases attempting to silence viewpoints that they disagree with, often by asking the moderators to kill the post that they don't agree with, making the moderator's job harder. And I've been on boards where the moderators themselves used their authority to bolster the side they personally agree with.

That doesn't stop me from participating in them, though. The big problem from my perspective is that boards tend to take the easy out and ban the discussions themselves, rather restrict the behavior of the offending individuals who stoop to personal insults and censorship attempts. From what I've seen so far and from what you've said, this board seems to be a refreshing change from that behavior.
      Ooooooh, you apparently haven't dug far enough back in GW's Off-topic forum section to read all of the interesting wars that went on over the last several years. I'd find topics missing for days because the mods temporarily removed them for review and reconsideration, etc. Oh dear! I think even this political thread here vanished upon a few occasions because it got too hot in the verbal furnaces for a while.

I think since those days and the merging of Sci-Fi's former members into GW, this topic has significantly simmered down into more debatable, intellectual tones than verbal bang-ups. Not sure. I prefer to avoid politics as much as possible, since it's "not my cup of tea" proverbially speaking. My parents always cautioned the two most taboo subjects ever -- will probably almost always be religion and politics. I'd see plenty of hot and heavy conversations going on amongst my relatives enough to just watch the bouncing birdies going back and forth.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Good times every single time.
      Really?
      *sigh* Challenging conversations, that's for sure!

Anywho... all I know of the Tea Party's that they really don't like Obama's reign, and wish to undo just about everything he's done for the US. Except that not all of it is that bad.
      They sure are not my cup of tea --> Teaparty.org/.

Not all republicans are teabags (pardon the pun) --> GOP.com/
      Purely informative, the other side of the table --> Democrats.org/
      I have my doubts over who will win the U.S. elections in 2016, mostly because of current events and --oh-- that other topic involving prophecy.

Even if someone in the GOP does win, it doesn't necessarily translate that the USA will be thriving for much longer (and that is if this nation even survives within the next 2 to 3 years). We're already being crippled, despite what the media pushes out. Jobs are NOT as plentiful as they are being forecast or promoted as, or people of any age would be able to get a job anywhere, any day, and in nearly any field -- also at a decent cost-of-living rate.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      American foreign policy under Obama is one uninterrupted string of catastrophes.
      There are several "talk" radio hosts heard on the radio, who believe that whatever President Obama says, the average person should believe the opposite. Whenever the subject of Al-Qaeda or some other similar group is claimed (by the USA gov't admin) to be under control and losing battles, guess who's back in the news in full force destroying, kidnapping, or worse, within the next weekend or two or even just 24 hours from that very announcement?

Sadly, whatever war-like events happening in the middle east are not going to go away too soon.
      The question is how long will the rest of the world not be totally affected by the domino effects. If earth stabilizes into a totally peaceful state within the next 10 to 20 years, it might only be because one of the warring groups has wiped out most of the planet.

Makes going to Mars seem like a *nice* retirement or vacation spot, if that project will ever get off the ground and colonize into a better world than the numerous societies currently on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
        Makes going to Mars seem like a *nice* retirement or vacation spot, if that project will ever get off the ground and colonize into a better world than the numerous societies currently on earth.
        Just an idea - but how about we try to set up shop on the moon first. It's closer to home and easily reachable. Going to Mars is a sure ticket of meeting a sticky end - and before you've even reached the planet probably.

Besides, why colonize another planet when we can't take care of this one? Or are hellbend on destroying each other for believing in different ideas and things.

And now I'm reminded of Ascension for some reason (Syfy miniseries).
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Stay out of my moon palace.

I'm usually cynical of political and religion threads. If people aren't bickering they are spouting crackpot ideas
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            If people aren't bickering they are spouting crackpot ideas
            But I like my crackpot moon idea.

Comment

Just an idea - but how about we try to set up shop on the moon first. It's closer to home and easily reachable. Going to Mars is a sure ticket of meeting a sticky end - and before you've even reached the planet probably.

Besides, why colonize another planet when we can't take care of this one? Or are hellbend on destroying each other for believing in different ideas and things.
              Oh I totally agree about setting up shop first (as in a stepping stone planetary living) and seeing *if* such an adventure will actually work in the positive continuation of humans.

I'm just being a tad sarcastic with all of the current news that Mars would seem to be a better vacation spot, when this tiny earth is going to enter its next world war. Not even sure if the Antarctic is a safe zone anymore, either. A while back, I heard or read rumors that Russia wants to control both polar zones of earth -- mostly for controlling vast deposits of *rich* resources on both ends.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Stay out of my moon palace.

I'm usually cynical of political and religion threads. If people aren't bickering they are spouting crackpot ideas

But I like my crackpot moon idea.
              try reading about this idea, then --

NASA seems to be determined to also set up a colony around Venus to hover in a space station sort of community. Why? They're claiming to study the atmosphere there and how the planet below is so turbulent.

Somewhere in there has been hinted there might be a political agenda labeled *control* and find ways to possibly tax for resources, if there ever becomes a way.

(sarc on) I think they just want to get closer to the sun and see how long the folks they send there will last before burning up that much faster. jeesh. talk about global warming. Maybe these brilliant scientists should go instead of sending volunteers from the general populations. (sarc off)

(please see) Article on Venus in spoiler quotes below.

Spoiler:
              "NASA's plan for an off-world colony: a floating city above Venus"
              by Peter Shadbolt, for CNN
              Updated 1:42 PM ET, Sat January 3, 2015

"... With a mean temperature of 462 degrees Celsius (863 degrees Fahrenheit), an atmospheric pressure 92 times greater than Earth's and a cloud layer of sulphuric acid, even probes to Venus have lasted little more than two hours. Its surface is hot enough to melt lead and its atmospheric pressure is the equivalent of diving a mile underwater.

But above this cauldron of carbon dioxide at an altitude of 50km (30 miles) scientists say the conditions are as close to Earth's as you'll find anywhere in the solar system.

The gravity at this altitude is only slightly lower than that of Earth, its atmospheric pressure is similar and the aerospace provides enough protection from solar radiation to make it no more dangerous than taking a trip to Canada.

Ultimately, NASA could seek a permanent manned presence in Venus's atmosphere.

Suspended in a gondola beneath the airships, astronauts would not have to contend with the physical challenges of zero gravity, where weightlessness causes muscles to wither and bones to demineralize.

what...? are these people (seriously) crazy? Whoever goes to Venus most likely won't be coming back, and moreso quicker than if anyone ever reaches Mars and successfully settles over there, too.

Comment

I agree with Falcon Horus

The Moon should be our first destination, then Mars once a lunar colony is established
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Speech on college campuses has been severely restrained for a long time now under the banner of "political correctness". This is now spreading to the general society by leaps and bounds. How many people have been forced from their jobs for saying something that offended some person or group.? How many times have you read about students in both the public K-12 school systems and college being penalized with poor grades, censorship or expulsion simply because they hold view which contradicts the officially approved lines of thought?
                  And don't get me started on how lectures can derail because now students attending may freak out due to "trigger words" so some topics become even more sensitive because social engineers decided that some words make people go la la .......

That kind of thing pisses me off. Blatant social engineering.

Comment

I have my doubts over who will win the U.S. elections in 2016, mostly because of current events and --oh-- that other topic involving prophecy.
                    The best I see at this time is Walker, out of Wisconsin. But I don't think the National Republican Party will back him. I expect that they will nominate someone who will toe the corporate line the NRC is following, what I refer to as a RINO, or "Republican In Name Only". This will alienate the right/conservative folks who might otherwise vote for a Republican, undermining support for the Republican candidate at the polls. So, I expect that whoever the Democrats run in 2016 will be in the White House in 2017. The only way I see the Republicans winning in 2016 is some some major negative event that causes a tremendous anti-democrat backlash.

Even if someone in the GOP does win, it doesn't necessarily translate that the USA will be thriving for much longer (and that is if this nation even survives within the next 2 to 3 years). We're already being crippled, despite what the media pushes out. Jobs are NOT as plentiful as they are being forecast or promoted as, or people of any age would be able to get a job anywhere, any day, and in nearly any field -- also at a decent cost-of-living rate.
                    This is pretty much what I was talking about in a reply to Coco Pops earlier; we have lost control of our government, and it is operating against our own best interests.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post14329025

Comment

This is pretty much what I was talking about in a reply to Coco Pops earlier; we have lost control of our government, and it is operating against our own best interests.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post14329025

I think that's happening everywhere........

Most politicians have been bought and paid for like hookers.......

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        Most politicians have been bought and paid for like hookers.......
                        Pimped by whom?

Comment

@Annoyed
                          So Tea Party hey... that's Sarah Palin party... ... had some good laughs when she was trying to run for office. Of course, it doesn't help that Tina Fey does such a brilliant impersonation of her.

Anywho... all I know of the Tea Party's that they really don't like Obama's reign, and wish to undo just about everything he's done for the US. Except that not all of it is that bad.
                          They sure are not my cup of tea --> Teaparty.org/.

Not all republicans are teabags (pardon the pun) --> GOP.com/
                          Purely informative, the other side of the table --> Democrats.org/

How far is too far when it comes to freedom of speech or religion (sorry Ukko):

Article on the bills currently signed in Indianapolis and Arkansas. Are these the kind of freedoms people need to have? The freedom to discriminate?
                          As far as I'm concerned, the important points the Tea Party folks make is a desire to return government to operating within the limits placed upon it by the Constitution. Yeah, there are various groups trying to hitch their wagons to this train, but the main focus of the core group has been a return to the Constitutional limits upon the federal government.

Regarding the Indiana & Arkansas laws, I agree with them. Like it or not, same sex couples do violate the religious beliefs and teachings of several major religions, and performing wedding services for same sex couple would violate those beliefs. The legislation protects those people from being forced to violate those beliefs by ordering that such services be performed by them. This in no way prevents same sex marriages or whatever, such a couple can simply go to another church who is willing to perform the ceremony or offer the service of their own free will.

It's really a reaction to the hypocritical attitude of many in the gay/lesbian lobbies. These lobbies demand that society accept and accommodate them and their beliefs, but they themselves make no attempt at respecting the rights and beliefs of others. They wish to use the power of government to force their beliefs upon others.

The right to live one's life and operate one's business in accordance with their religious beliefs is just as important to them as the right to marry is to to the Gay/Lesbian folks. If the Gay/Lesbians don't accept these peoples rights to act and live as they believe, what right does the Gay/Lesbian crowd have to live and act as they believe?

Comment

Pimped by whom?
                            Businesses, labor unions and other deep pocket interests. As I've been pointing out, the cost of campaigning is very high because it costs so much to get your message out via advertising and such. Politicians have to get this money from somewhere. They also have to look ahead to what they will do when they eventually leave office. Businesses, Unions and others will happily feed oodles of money and promises of future "consulting positions" to any pol who will vote their interests rather than the interests of their constituents.

Comment

In addition to the Constitution & The Bill of Rights, we ought to seriously consider this as well.

The Bill of No Rights
                              by Lewis Napper

We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, delusional, and other liberal bed-wetters.

We hold these truths to be self evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim they require a Bill of No Rights.

ARTICLE I: You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV, or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone — not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc.; but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

ARTICLE III: You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful, do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

ARTICLE IV: You do not have the right to free food and housing.Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes.

ARTICLE V: You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we’re just not interested in public health care.

ARTICLE VI: You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don’t be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

ARTICLE VII: You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat, or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don’t be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won’t have the right to a big screen color TV or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII: You do not have the right to a job. All of us sure want you to have a job, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

ARTICLE IX: You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have the right to PURSUE happiness, which by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered by an over abundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

ARTICLE X: This is an English speaking country. We don’t care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from.

(lastly….)

ARTICLE XI: You do not have the right to change our country’s history or heritage. This country was founded on the belief in one true God. And yet, you are given the freedom to believe in any religion, any faith, or no faith at all; with no fear of persecution. The phrase IN GOD WE TRUST is part of our heritage and history, and if you are uncomfortable with it, TOUGH!!!!

Comment

Want directions?

Yep should be fun yes I want directions

Comment

Working...
                                X