Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over here, the information goes from "definitely shot down" to 5 Belgians killed in the crash.

Known nationalities on board: 154 Dutch, 27 Australians, 23 Malaysians, 11 Indonesians, 6 UK, 4 Germans; 5 Belgians, 3 Filipinos, 1 Canadian
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      17/07/2014

Malaysian airplane shot down over the Ukrain, and Israel advancing ground troops into Gaza -- thoughts anyone?
      I know the first was going to happen eventually after Putin invaded Ukraine. The second sounds like the same old pointless killing again.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Seems as if the UN security council will be involved at some point in the near future as well.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Seems as if the UN security council will be involved at some point in the near future as well.
          So nothing will happen?
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            So nothing will happen?
            Depends. We are currently "chair" of the SC and as this is the greatest loss of Australian life in this manner in history. The government response has been actually quite measured in terms of not jumping the gun as it were. I mean, chances are that the UN will be as effective as ever, I am as cynical as you on the UN. I dunno Jel, I just don't think there are enough facts in play yet, just a lot of hot air and finger pointing.
            sigpic

Comment

What the hell is going on in the Ukraine?

OH and why is it OK for Israel to bomb everything and if anyone dares fight back, well they are bad and evil and shall be smited?

And why do conservatives fear progress, secular society, and science?
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                OH and why is it OK for Israel to bomb everything and if anyone dares fight back, well they are bad and evil and shall be smited?
                Israel is fighting for its life--its survival. When Hamas deceived Israel and ambushed Israel, Israel defended itself and vowed to continue to do so, until a genuine truce/peace occurs.

Try to remember that it was (Jewish) Israel that was FIRST getting bombed without *warning*, and yet that same Jewish Israel in returning the "deed" has sent out messages warning civilians "to get out now, or else.." to those it is defending itself against -- when the other side (Hamas) decided NOT to do the same because conquest was (and still is) their goal. Meantime, Lebanon is striking at (Jewish) Israel from the southern end too, without warning.

BBC had a recent article questioning why was Hamas encouraging the civilian residents in Gaza to stay put or be on the front lines (as proverbial human shields -- maybe not in those words, but to that effect). Since the Malaysian airline tragedy of July 17 occurred, those humanitarian articles questioning Hamas have vanished off the front pages.

Why does Israel have to use (U.N. or whatever it is) protocol when its *enemies* do not?
                The missiles hurled at Israel give anywhere from NO time to escape to 15 seconds up to 3 minutes in some areas. 15 seconds is not much time to duck for cover! And it's ZERO time if the person happens to be stuck in the bathroom attached to the *porcelain* throne.
                (that issue applies to all sides and anyone)

I think there are 2 different types of conservatives (conservation?), which gets confusing when speaking of (nature) conservation vs. a political *Conservative*.

On the non-political side ----
                gee, my dad taught his family to be conservative with
                * finances--to save away for retirement & emergency supply moments,
                * water during drought--every drop counts, so find innovative ways on how to recycle that water that is warming up before using the rest for washing dishes
                * turn off the lights when not in the same room for extended use!
                * eat the FOOD scraps -- "waste not--want not" ...constantly was reminded of those FAT sandwiches my relatives ate during the WWII years & thereabouts- and that means FAT like the raw suet birds eat (blech!!), not bacon fat cooked to a beautiful simmering brown crisp & aroma!

There is *sometimes* a limit to some issues on how to conserve for nature conservation or be conservative.

Anywho.. I don't fear science or progress if utilized for the good of generations living in the future.
                Environmentally controlled dome home gardening may be the way of the future
                --Architectural Dome building structures that are aerodynamic like the Epcott Earth in DisneyWorld--just saying.. hint, hint!

WHO fears Secular society the most? And why does it matter so much? I think what matters is whether or not someone is going to bring harm, vandalism, or destruction onto someone else--that is the key.

I'm a strong believer that people will never get along on another planet, especially if they can't get along on this little earth first. Earth is our first stepping stone to the great universe beyond, and should not be a stumbling roadblock along the way. Balance is the key, but then where and what are the balances? *sigh*

Comment

What the hell is going on in the Ukraine?

Why are you putting so much belief behind sterotypes?
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Stereotypes how?

Comment

He isn't, he is merely looking from a different perspective.

What really is going on in Ukraine?
                      Is this an attempt to draw in the international community, an accident? A side effect of the "war" in the area?

Israel currently holds a (roughly) 200-1 kill ratio against Palestine, yet the West is always defending the actions of Israel, even when some of their strikes are on -at least perceived to be- Civilian targets. Yet the same strikes (retaliatory or aggressive) are decried by the West. This has nothing to do with "Anti-Semitism" or "Anti-Zionism" it is the cold hard facts. We could argue WHY Israel is where it is, Be it Historical, Economic, or Defence of Western Interests, but that is a whole new can of worms, and one I am not going to enter into on this thread.

As For Co-Co's observation on Conservatives, it is OBVIOUS where he is coming from. It could only be more Obvious if he held up a sign stating *and YES I mean religious conservativsm* while wearing a captain obvious outfit at the local T.E.D. convention. Any attempt to change that - such as SGalisa's observation - is a sham designed to move the topic away from social conservatism to economic conservatism.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                        Israel is fighting for its life--its survival. When Hamas deceived Israel and ambushed Israel, Israel defended itself and vowed to continue to do so, until a genuine truce/peace occurs.
                        I have but one reply to give...

Make that two... simple bit of history (which is far more complicated than what is shown in this video but it's a start)...

A short introduction about occupied Palestine
                        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 18 July 2014, 02:41 AM.

Comment

I have but one reply to give...

Make that two... simple bit of history (which is far more complicated than what is shown in this video but it's a start)...

A short introduction about occupied Palestine

So I put it to you people..

Don't the Palestinians also deserve their own land? Or are they just expendable?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            We are also getting reports that a few of the passengers were heading out here for are AIDS awareness and "activists" (not sure what that is supposed to mean) conference.
                            This is now explained -- it was a leading scientist and his assistent in HIV/AIDS research who was on board and on their way to a conference in Melbourne.

Comment

This is now explained -- it was a leading scientist and his assistent in HIV/AIDS research who was on board and on their way to a conference in Melbourne.
                              I was actually thinking of the... umm, "side effects" of a country with harsh LGBT laws being associated with targeting a flight with AIDS researchers.

Fortunately, that seems not to be the case here.
                              sigpic

Comment

So I put it to you people..

Don't the Palestinians also deserve their own land? Or are they just expendable?
                                From a Western Military Perspective, they are Expendable.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X