X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    Save the House of Lords.
    Yeah, but they're a shadow of its former self.

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
    I do believe in many parts of the world this is just so and I do also believe that even the president of the united states has started issuing kill orders for various US citizens around the world...and while that might be a good thing if they are comitting treason and waging war against us... some say the powers of the NDAA allow the Government to lock up citizens without charge or trial, anyone who they want practically.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, of course there are still tyrants, dictators and idiots out there who still act like it's 1600 and they can go around killing left-right-and-centre as they want, but that doesn't mean that the world as a whole is anything like it was 200-300 years ago. The majority of the world is democratic (to various degrees) and in the majority of the world, people enjoy a lot more freedoms than they did 200-300 years ago. Heck, 300 years ago, most of the world wasn't even free, it was all colonies.
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      Yeah, but they're a shadow of its former self.

Oh, don't get me wrong, of course there are still tyrants, dictators and idiots out there who still act like it's 1600 and they can go around killing left-right-and-centre as they want, but that doesn't mean that the world as a whole is anything like it was 200-300 years ago. The majority of the world is democratic (to various degrees) and in the majority of the world, people enjoy a lot more freedoms than they did 200-300 years ago. Heck, 300 years ago, most of the world wasn't even free, it was all colonies.
      Again not saying we haven't made a lot of progress in terms of the advancement of human liberty. Just there are forces that seem bound and determined to undo that progress by telling us everything from who we can marry, who we can't marry, how we can marry, who we can even allow to be married, our healthcare, economy, housing, retirment, birth, education, and in a lot of cases even personal security

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
        Again not saying we haven't made a lot of progress in terms of the advancement of human liberty. Just there are forces that seem bound and determined to undo that progress by telling us everything from who we can marry, who we can't marry, how we can marry, who we can even allow to be married, our healthcare, economy, housing, retirment, birth, education, and in a lot of cases even personal security
        Except that that will in no way put us back into where we were 300 years ago. It may be a step back from where we are now, but you'd have to undue the most significant moment in the history of humanity since we figured out how to domesticate animals to get anywhere close to how it was 300 years ago.
        My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
          Except that the King or Queen can't exactly have you beheaded just because.
          Lets all just face it, every country who has a king or queen or emperor or anything like those have no real power in the government and is just something to keep up over hundreds of years of tradition of those countries.

So your point right there is moot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Pena View Post
            Lets all just face it, every country who has a king or queen or emperor or anything like those have no real power in the government and is just something to keep up over hundreds of years of tradition of those countries.

So your point right there is moot.
            That's not really the case. It may be with the UK or Japan, but there are places in the world where Royalty has very real power.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              That's not really the case. It may be with the UK or Japan, but there are places in the world where Royalty has very real power.
              In which most of those places are against the western world and whatnot. So again mostly moot.

Comment

In which most of those places are against the western world and whatnot. So again mostly moot.
                Err, The 1.9 billion people in the Brittish Commonwealth would disagree with that.......
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Err, The 1.9 billion people in the Brittish Commonwealth would disagree with that.......
                  Read what i said in my post before the one you quoted. The queen doesnt have any real power in the government.

Comment

Read what i said in my post before the one you quoted. The queen doesnt have any real power in the government.
                    Feel free to correct me, but does not the Queen does still hold many powers including the ability to dissolve government and declare war??
                    I'd hardly call that "no real power"
                    (Granted the actual chances of the queen *employing* such powers is all but negligable)

Here's a *theoretical* question for you political buffs as we were playing "hypothetical" earlier.
                    IF at the end of WW2, conditions were such that the EU *could* have been formed, how much difference would it make now?
                    sigpic

Comment

Feel free to correct me, but does not the Queen does still hold many powers including the ability to dissolve government and declare war??
                      I'd hardly call that "no real power"
                      (Granted the actual chances of the queen *employing* such powers is all but negligable)
                      Powers on paper and powers in fact are very different things...
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Powers on paper and powers in fact are very different things...
                        Not really, the difference is the *willingness* to excercise them.
                        I mean, sure, the chances of such powers being used is near negligable, as I said.

"On paper" the US could nuke Aus (or pretty much anywhere else), but how likely are they to drop the bomb on the Opera House?
                        sigpic

Comment

Not really, the difference is the *willingness* to excercise them.
                          I mean, sure, the chances of such powers being used is near negligable, as I said.

"On paper" the US could nuke Aus (or pretty much anywhere else), but how likely are they to drop the bomb on the Opera House?
                          Well first of all, the US doesnt live on Kobol and second the BSG universe doesnt exist.

Comment

Well first of all, the US doesnt live on Kobol and second the BSG universe doesnt exist.
                            I KNEW there was I reason I avoided poli threads as a general rule.
                            sigpic

Comment

I KNEW there was I reason I avoided poli threads as a general rule.
                              lol

Comment

It's still going? Marvelous!

Comment

Working...
                                X