This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    which then turns into a gun control debate....they spent along time surrendering to this government that is now attacking them the weapons that they could've used to have a better chance at rising against the tyranny they now face
    I think if the US government wanted to massacre its people it could as it has superior weapons, it doesn't matter how many guns the people have the government always has better ones.

Comment

I find the 'owning guns protects me from the gubmint!' absolutely hilarious. Yeah, it worked fine two hundred years ago when the hostile government was an ocean away and everyone over here was on home soil. But in an era of brilliantly trained special forces equipped with the most amazing military hardware known to man (ie: SAS, SEAL Team 6), the age of government-approved warrantless domestic spying, and the Wacos of modern history--the idea is ludicrous. Laughable at best.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I find the 'owning guns protects me from the gubmint!' absolutely hilarious. Yeah, it worked fine two hundred years ago when the hostile government was an ocean away and everyone over here was on home soil. But in an era of brilliantly trained special forces equipped with the most amazing military hardware known to man (ie: SAS, SEAL Team 6), the age of government-approved warrantless domestic spying, and the Wacos of modern history--the idea is ludicrous. Laughable at best.
        doesn't take a brilliant military mind to improvise explosive devices....I can assure you that if we had to resort to force of arms to revolt against a government gone tyrranical that if us average joes need anything heavier than guns we can improvise some pretty nasty heavy artillery

Comment

The capabilities of the average joe and the most advanced military on the planet are so many worlds apart, there is nothing said average joe could do to stop them if they decided to go that way. The only--only--reason a hypothetical military rule would fail (barring international intervention) would be if they refused to follow orders.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

that, or a nation-wide strike

Comment

I would also argue that instead of running here to the US people in these countries where conditions are so bad should take a page out of our book (dated 1776) and actually rise up against tyranny instead of just running away from it...our resources are not infinite.....we can't afford to just keep bringing in increasing numbers of foreign immigrants...it's why we have the system we do.....so that we can control the flow of people we accept....could the system use a little tweaking? sure but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater
              What have you done personally to stop the rapid erosion of American civil liberties we've seen over the past decade or so?

Comment

which then turns into a gun control debate....they spent along time surrendering to this government that is now attacking them the weapons that they could've used to have a better chance at rising against the tyranny they now face
                Not really. I'm not sure what a handguns are going to do against tanks and artillery, other than more easily justify government force.

Comment

I would also argue that instead of running here to the US people in these countries where conditions are so bad should take a page out of our book (dated 1776) and actually rise up against tyranny instead of just running away from it...our resources are not infinite.....we can't afford to just keep bringing in increasing numbers of foreign immigrants...it's why we have the system we do.....so that we can control the flow of people we accept....could the system use a little tweaking? sure but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater
                  There's an over simplification if i ever did see one.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would also argue that instead of running here to the US people in these countries where conditions are so bad should take a page out of our book (dated 1776) and actually rise up against tyranny instead of just running away from it...
                    how would you suggest the north-koreans do this - with sticks & stones?

Comment

Well, to be fair, the US managed to cock up in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan against lesser equipped forces.
                      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                        how would you suggest the north-koreans do this - with sticks & stones?
                        Well, if they all had guns, they could fight the North Korean army. Freedom.

Death is a kind of freedom, right?
                        sigpic

Comment

Have you been to some of these places? While in Jamaica there are men in jeeps with huge machine guns riding up and down the beach. The locals all live in tin roof shacks and are half malnourished. This is not uncommon for these types of places. I can't see them waging a war against anybody.
                          Last edited by Graybrew1; 12 March 2012, 10:15 AM.
                          Posting at.............
                          http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Cuba, the former Netherlands Antilles, and the British Overseas Territories were the safest places I felt.
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                              Well, if they all had guns, they could fight the North Korean army. Freedom.

Death is a kind of freedom, right?
                              depends - how many NK soldiers could they take out before going down?

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                                Cuba, the former Netherlands Antilles, and the British Overseas Territories were the safest places I felt.
                                Aruba was great. I felt like I could walk the entire island almost alone and half naked and be safe there. Acapulco was the worst, I was afraid to get jumped in front of the hotel on the street in broad daylight. You could almost smell the danger in the air.
                                Posting at.............
                                http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Working...
                                X