X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVERY source has bias.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      All you have to do is show me hard evidence to the contrary of what I believe. But you can't be citing people or organizations which have demonstrated a bias in the past.
      97%
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

I'm perfectly able to admit I've been wrong and change my views. All you have to do is show me hard evidence to the contrary of what I believe. But you can't be citing people or organizations which have demonstrated a bias in the past.
        That's the biggest load of BS I have ever heard from you. History says different
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          97%

*Is Foleytood* wait...is Jelgate the only one who understands that reference? Now I'm all nostalgic and stuff...>.>
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Just like I'm the only one who would understand how you used to flirt with anything that moves
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I have no clue about any of this but sounds extravagant.

Spoiler:
              I'll also confess that it took me months to figure out what Tood's name actually meant, by saying it out loud and it sounded similar to ''Are-U-Too-D2''.

Maybe I should get a down rep for this (red me?)
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

*Is Foleytood* wait...is Jelgate the only one who understands that reference? Now I'm all nostalgic and stuff...>.>
                Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Just like I'm the only one who would understand how you used to flirt with anything that moves
                I know both references.
                sigpic

Comment

Its like we used to say back when it still existed. GF is part of the Cantina
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I miss Nola now.
                    sigpic

Comment

We all miss Nola. I think my mocking of teaching is what made her leave
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Lies!!! Vicious unfounded lies!!!
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

We all miss Nola. I think my mocking of teaching is what made her leave
                          And yet more lies! Is this jelgate good for nothing else?

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            Lies!!! Vicious unfounded lies!!!
                            Do we have to go to the archives between you and GB?
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Do we have to go to the archives between you and GB?
                              I'm going to pull a Trump supporter's favorite move and dodge.... *Is Trumpertood*

I debated on whether or not to post this lest I contribute to Annoyed's false sense of...well...everything, but whatever.

My google news feed gave me this news story today as I awoke (See what I did there? no? Just wait...>.>)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/07/us/af...rnd/index.html

Apparently there was this event "Afrofuturist" is the group who coordinates it or something. They were charging white people more than "POC". This mixed raced rapper, a Tiny Jag (don't know her real name ) pulled out of the event after she heard about it from one of her friends and then tweeted about it causing a backlash against the event....the group that coordinated decided that instead of recognizing what they did was wrong played it off by saying they'll change their prices because of white supremacists sending them threats.

While I do believe that white supremacists sent threats (it's what they do when they aren't too busy running over people, stabbing random people in the streets or shooting up/bombing places of worship) it's the dumbest excuse in the book.

My big take on this is the issue of this "equity" vs "equality" thing that really stands out. That argument is lost on some (you know who you are). Equity is a good concept but often horribly applied and only yields results to the detriment of everyone. Basically, the group was saying that white people can afford to go to any event versus POC and thus they should pay more so that POC wouldn't be...actually I lost them there. Something about white people co opting POC's events.

This is where things get interesting and far too nuanced for most people. This is all tied to the issues of ideas like affirmative action and cultural appropriation. There is some value in them but only in as much as the situation calls for. In the 60's and up to the 80's I do think affirmative action was necessary as a stop gap measure. But post 80s it's become a double edged sword with little benefits. Today, the costs outweigh the benefits by far. This is where equity comes into play.

Equity means that because of a long history of discrimination such as being prevented from living in the good neighborhoods, going to the good schools, and having the good jobs, black people have been pigeonholed and forced into perpetual poverty and subpar (if any) education. As a result, being born black was almost a definitive deciding factor for whether or not you could pull yourself up the social ladder and make it big in this country. Affirmative action was a way to force institutions to pull black people up to such a point where their race was no longer this handicap. It's like a group of kids trying to watch a game over a fence. One of them is tall enough that if they stand on their tippy toes, they can see. The other is too short and needs a boost. Affirmative action is that boost. The problem is that affirmative action only helps middle class and privileged POC which is why there is still underrepresentation of minorities in colleges and elsewhere in the US. And to add to that issue, it gives racists a seemingly valid excuse to not trust professionals who are POC and paint them as "diversity hires" or "Affirmative action students".

This Afrofuturist thing has the same issue. They simply don't understand how things work and make these wild assumptions. If anything they should want white people to attend in high numbers. They shouldn't see POC as a destitute population. And most of all, you can't fight fire with fire. Trust me, I've seen many firefighters on TV to know that they use fire retardant and water....

This is what I mean whenever I talk about liberal paternalism being just as bad as right wing racism.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of that feminist coffee shop selling their goods at higher prices to males (unless you're a nu-male or some other breed). The social media backlash was so strong they had to close their doors lol. All those movements or initiatives similar to this afro-futuristic society make me cringe so much.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X