This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Something remarkably ugly happened in the UN General Assembly recently that illustrated to what degree the game is rigged.

The USA introduced a resolution to condemn the Hamas terrorist group for a long and consistent record of targeting Israeli civilians. Because condemning a gang of murderers without reservation is usually too much to ask at that particular venue, the draft resolution was softened and "balanced" in various ways including inserting completely unrelated bacon about "tangible steps towards intra-Palestinian reconciliation", "concrete steps to reunite the Gaza Strip and the West Bank under the Palestinian Authority" and "calling on all parties to fully respect international humanitarian law" - all in order to bring on board the EU block and various other players for whom death or threat to life of Israeli civilians is not in and of itself a bad thing.

The Hamas backers (specifically Kuwait) responded by triggering one of the UNGA game-rigging mechanisms - a resolution can be pre-classified before vote as an "important question", in which case a simple majority of votes no longer suffices and a two-thirds majority is required. In order to classify something as an "important question", a simple majority vote is held. After a vote of 75 in favor, 72 against, 26 abstained - by 3 votes, basically - condemnation of Hamas became an "important question".

The resolution itself gathered 87 votes in favor, 57 against, with 33 abstentions. As it didn't gain a two-third majority, it failed. The Hamas is now prancing around boasting of the vote as a kind of confirmation of its legitimacy.

Immediately after that, a fresh recycling of a standard cliche-ridden resolution to condemn the "Israeli occupation" for the umpteenth time passed with 156 votes in favor and 5 against.
    I couldn't help but notice the absence of European nations (Other than Romania) in the abstention list. And the UK in particular...don't they consider Hamas a terrorist group?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

doesn't ISIS plan to take out Hamas anyway? (along with Hezbola)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        Isis plans to take over the world but I hardly doubt they are strong enough to oppose a gov. funded terrorist group.

Oh and btw, the UN not listing Hamas as a terrorist group doesn't mean the countries don't consider it one. The US probably has a blacklist as long as the amount of pages in the political thread.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          Isis plans to take over the world but I hardly doubt they are strong enough to oppose a gov. funded terrorist group.
          cept ISIS is much wealthier than Hamas & Hezbolla combined so it shouldn't be a problem

I'd be more concerned about ISIS they're the ****ers who are carrying our their attacks all over the planet yet they dont appear to be on the US(SR)'s priority list

Comment

I'd be more concerned about ISIS & Alqaeda they're the ****ers who are carrying our their attacks all over the world yet they dont appear to be on the US(SR)'s priority list
            Well it doesn't appear so because this is not conventional warfare. It is an intelligence and espionage war more or less.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.f6d58a828d01

Seriously how stupid can one person be?

D Day was the Germans helping us?
              For ****s sake...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                I couldn't help but notice the absence of European nations (Other than Romania) in the abstention list. And the UK in particular...don't they consider Hamas a terrorist group?
                28 nations of the EU voted in favor of condemning Hamas... eventually.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Along with the rest of the world, but... Objection, Your Honor! Relevance?
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

28 nations of the EU voted in favor of condemning Hamas... eventually.
                    Just looked at the list with some attention to who voted. Interestingly the only nations to vote against the resolution in Latin America were Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua, well known for treating their own people with dignity and honesty. Barbados, Tobago and Trinidad, Ecuador, and El Salvador were the only LA countries to abstain. I say this is rather good news for Israel if you ask me. It seems that the greater western world either abstained or voted in favor. African, Middle Eastern, East/Southeast Asian, and Eastern Europeans are the main source of the votes against.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Along with the rest of the world, but... Objection, Your Honor! Relevance?
                      bah the relevance is obvious: if/when they eliminate Hamas in the near future then Hamas itself will soon be...irrelevant. but this article on Hamas was also reminiscent of the irony in one sunni organization specifically threatening & targeting another sunni organization lol. I mean Isis attacking Hezbolla at least makes some sense since shia's considered heretical by the sunni (true) muslims

Comment

No offense involved here, simple curiosity. Has the Middle-East been at war (civil or not) pretty much... forever?
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          No offense involved here, simple curiosity. Has the Middle-East been at war (civil or not) pretty much... forever?
                          Yep. And there will never be peace there, due to the religious significance of the region.

That's why I don't pay a great deal of attention to events in the region. It's like my shoulders. Injured long ago, and have been a source of limited ability, discomfort & pain ever since. It will never heal. Only get worse with advancing age.

The only response I can make to such a situation is to ignore it as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            Yep.

The only response I can make to such a situation is to ignore it as much as possible.
                            Crap, guess I'll cancel my fishing trip to Baghdad.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

bah the relevance is obvious: if/when they eliminate Hamas in the near future then Hamas itself will soon be...irrelevant.
                              You are assuming that ISIS will conquer the world? Have I got news for you...

Comment

Keep in mind that the area flourished after a long period of Muslim conflict. They were further (more or less) unified under the Ottomans.

It wasn't until the west started ****ing with the region that it started getting worse. But that isn't to say they aren't responsible for their own actions either.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X