This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Couldn't you have started with that? Would've saved pages of discussion!
    Granted, I may not be familiar with that specific discipline, but aren't the basics of science the same? Do an experiment to test a theory, if it confirms the theory and is repeatable, it confirms the theory or disproves it if it doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Granted, I may not be familiar with that specific discipline, but aren't the basics of science the same? Do an experiment to test a theory, if it confirms the theory and is repeatable, it confirms the theory or disproves it if it doesn't?

I had a Chemistry professor that threw shade on biologists because of (apparently) biologists and chemists see and use theories differently. His favorite quote "At least we don't put our theories on bumper stickers". To him, theories were models that helped us make prediction. A theory is valid if it is useful. This is why atoms have more than one model. There's the solar system look alike model we learn about in high school, and then there's the levels of probability shells we learn about in college. Both theories are valid because both help us make predictions that pan out to be true.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

I'm reading Russia news, and I have to hand it to Trump - he has managed to throw Russia completely off balance with the Syria strike. Lavrov, Russia's Foreign Minister, has just declared that Russia plans to follow Trump's own declaration and ignore those of his advisors because they do not believe that they speak for Trump. They are hinting that Trump has somehow been sidelined in his own administration. The new opinion poll shows that 30% of Russians believe that a war with the USA either possible or it is already being waged.

The Russians are impressed with Tillerson; they say that Kerry appeared "weaker", and Tillerson is a charismatic negotiator.

They also think that North Korea has just called American bluff and exposed America as a paper tiger, whose military might no one fears anymore because the great USA talks much and does little.

P.S. The Turkey referendum is scary stuff.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep
          Newton's theory of gravity vs Einstein's general theory of relativity
          the latter's a better approximation of the real thing than the former

Comment

there could still be a "black & white" version of the theory & scientists just don't know it yet (or maybe they never will (depends if this whole **** can be unified or not))

Comment

Go!

*gets notepad*

It's either right or it's wrong, right?

The maths involved for calculating gravity here on Earth works perfectly in both models.

So, in your little black and white world, why do we have both? They're both considered to be the greatest scientists of their time, was one of them wrong? Was Einstein wasting his time trying to expand on something that clearly worked perfectly?
              Perhaps we don't have as clear of an understanding of either topic as we think we do?

Comment

And yet the former is still in use in calculations because it's simpler, and works well enough.
                a.k.a. Fudging it.

Comment

BS. In math their is always more than one way to solve an equation
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    I was referring to Jel.
                    Thought you were referencing me, since your post appeared right after mine.
                    Apologies GF>.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Show me.
                    Here's three you tube clips on that for ya..
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBWcuFiuyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4R0bWC41g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5v0WTxi60

Of the 3, the last two specifically have liberals chanting "Free speech is hate speech", but the first link also showed up when i checked "free speech is hate speech"

Comment

I'm reading Russia news, and I have to hand it to Trump - he has managed to throw Russia completely off balance with the Syria strike. Lavrov, Russia's Foreign Minister, has just declared that Russia plans to follow Trump's own declaration and ignore those of his advisors because they do not believe that they speak for Trump. They are hinting that Trump has somehow been sidelined in his own administration. The new opinion poll shows that 30% of Russians believe that a war with the USA either possible or it is already being waged.
                      In a military capacity, they might be right. Trump has basically said to his military "I'll back -your- plans" recently.
                      The Russians are impressed with Tillerson; they say that Kerry appeared "weaker", and Tillerson is a charismatic negotiator.
                      That's not really surprising given Tillerson's previous contacts with Russia as part of Exxon.
                      They also think that North Korea has just called American bluff and exposed America as a paper tiger, whose military might no one fears anymore because the great USA talks much and does little.
                      That's dangerous. I know trump changed his position on NK after getting a history lesson, but he has just found the keys to the gun cabinet, and people seem to like him and praise him when he uses what he finds.

Yes, it is disturbing, they basically voted for a dictatorship.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I don't normally follow Keith Olberman but here's a video about Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DOTsl-Csic
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Which i found ironic. Voting for a system where you no longer get the right to vote in..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Thought you were referencing me, since your post appeared right after mine.
                            Apologies GF>.
                            None needed.
                            sigpic

Comment

Which i found ironic. Voting for a system where you no longer get the right to vote in..
                              Why do you think people find hardcore trump voters so stupid?
                              I don't so much mean you or Annoyed, but real, hardcore trump voters. Speaking of which, what do you think of thrumps variety of backflips in the last week? For people who voted for trump basically on change, he is quickly becoming a pretty establishment republican.
                              sigpic

Comment

So is an electron a particle or is it a wave? Please give a black and white answer without violating the fundamentals of modern physics.
                                Two specific examples supporting the wave nature of electrons as suggested in the DeBroglie hypothesis are the discrete atomic energy levels and the diffraction of electrons from crystal planes in solid materials. In the Bohr model of atomic energy levels, the electron waves can be visualized as "wrapping around" the circumference of an electron orbit in such a way as to experience constructive interference.

The wave nature of the electron must be invoked to explain the behavior of electrons when they are confined to dimensions on the order of the size of an atom. This wave nature is used for the quantum mechanical "particle in a box" and the result of this calculation is used to describe the density of energy states for electrons in solids.

Source: Wave Nature of Electron

I get the gist of the above but I'm fairly certain I dabbled in the grey area.

Couldn't you have started with that? Would've saved pages of discussion!

Both were already proven.

I used to know a math teacher in highschool who would proof Einstein's theory of relativity in under an hour, and then we learned he was actually a doctor in astrophysics (teaching math to highschool kids).

Even worse that it's the people who no longer live in Turkey tipped the balance for him.

Here's three you tube clips on that for ya..
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBWcuFiuyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4R0bWC41g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5v0WTxi60

Of the 3, the last two specifically have liberals chanting "Free speech is hate speech", but the first link also showed up when i checked "free speech is hate speech"
                                I'll have a look when I get home later -- youtube is blocked and who knew that streaming a cycling competition for an hour or two would deplete my mobile internet. That won't be resupplied until the 20th of April. Darn it.

That's not really surprising given Tillerson's previous contacts with Russia as part of Exxon.
                                Beyond that he's far from a skilled negotiator or a skilled diplomat.

Yes, it is disturbing, they basically voted for a dictatorship.
                                The yes-camp thinks otherwise.

Why do you think people find hardcore trump voters so stupid?
                                I don't so much mean you or Annoyed, but real, hardcore trump voters. Speaking of which, what do you think of thrumps variety of backflips in the last week? For people who voted for trump basically on change, he is quickly becoming a pretty establishment republican.
                                But he brought change -- his own. He changed from dumb to dumber.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X