This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Beyond the painting, I'm unfamiliar with the Spanish civil war.
    That's a terrible hole in your education. Please read up.

The significance of the Spanish Civil War was that it was essentially a precursor of World War II. The Germans and the Italians were on the side of Franco's nationalists while the USSR and the Communist International were on the side of the Republicans; USA was neutral. It was in Spain that the German-made tanks and warplanes first clashed against the Russian-made ones, and it was the success of the Nationalists which made Britain and France fearful of Germany and Italy's war preparedness and enabled the Munich agreement. There were large numbers of foreign volunteers fighting on both sides. Many weapons systems which played crucial role in World War II were first deployed and tested in Spain as well. The first combat use of German 88 mm anti-aircraft guns, for example, was in Spain by the Condor Legion, and their use against tanks, fortifications and for infantry support was pioneered there. The year after Spanish Civil war ended the 88 Flak guns were used to devastating effect against British Matilda tanks and Russian KV, both of which were all but invulnerable to then-standard 37mm anti-tank artillery. The Russian I 16 fighter planes proved superior to the German Heinkel fighters in the Spanish war, which led to the Germans adopting the famous Messerschmitt BF 109 as the main Luftwaffe weapon. Basically, the future Axis and Allies sent their weapons and personnel into Spain to gain experience and had a preview of what the future clash would look like.
    Last edited by Womble; 03 October 2016, 09:24 AM.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      We're already IN the World War III, people just refuse to recognize it as such.

Did it occur to anybody else that there's a disturbing number of similarities between the Syrian war of the last few years and the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939?
      Such things are difficult to recognize until it's past. Nobody cried WWI when Franz Ferdinand was shot. Yet that is where it started.

Comment

That's a terrible hole in your education.
        It was never part of the education.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          It was never part of the education.
          That's terrible. One of the most significant events of modern European history is not taught in Belgium?
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            The housing market should have completely collapsed. War in the EU, eternal darkness, Christmas is cancelled. No one will ever trade with us again. Etc...

It's been so quiet since the vote because the government are taking their time to put the plan together. To make sure it's done properly. Cameron rushed into the vote. Told ridiculous lies after lies.. and look how that turned out..
            Nothing has happened yet, except for the pound losing its worth, because we are still in the EU. The government are taking their time because they had no plans, and are flapping around like a headless chicken. There were plenty of lies from both sides, especially since Tories were involved!
            sigpic

Comment

That's terrible. One of the most significant events of modern European history is not taught in Belgium?
              It's not in our history lessons, no.

We have the usuals: Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages, both WW's and Belgian history.

The Spanish Civil War is a footnote in the curriculum.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  The part i agree with some reporters criticizing the washington post about this whole situation is someone hacked and leaked to them, some stuff on global warming scientists several years back, but the post said "they will not print stuff leaked via illegal gains" yet they have no issue doing it here..

Russia's Putin orders plutonium cleanup program with US to be suspended

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Monday to suspend an agreement with the United States on disposing of weapons-grade plutonium, a further sign of worsening ties between the former Cold War foes.

The deal, which was signed in 2000 and went into force under a 2010 agreement, was being suspended due to "the emergence of a threat to strategic stability and as a result of unfriendly actions by the United States of America towards the Russian Federation", the preamble to the decree said.
                  Gee whiz.. Russia saber rattling and ignoring a deal.. What's new.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                  Nothing has happened yet, except for the pound losing its worth,
                  Don't i know it.. My mother's UK Pension, due to the drop in the pound, went from a monthly deposit into the bank, of an ave of 740 bucks, and tha was AFTER a yearly raise kicked in back in march. Now after brexit, we dropped down to 638.. just around a 100 bucks a mo loss..

Comment

And we were on lockdown on my campus today because of this...http://www.fox4news.com/news/209341330-story. Never in the 21 years that I've been in the classroom would I have ever thought that we'd be on lockdown because of freakin' clowns!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      And we were on lockdown on my campus today because of this...http://www.fox4news.com/news/209341330-story. Never in the 21 years that I've been in the classroom would I have ever thought that we'd be on lockdown because of freakin' clowns!
                      If I had to choose a reason to put someone on lockdown...

Comment

First clocks and now this. Texas is kind of messed up
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                          Now, now, fly, this will be fine. After all, the current administration would never betray the interests of the U.S. or it's people, right?

Comment

You need a better school. Clowns?

Comment

Just to clarify...the clowns have made threats. Some students claim they have had threats made directly toward them via Instagram. There have also been threats against several schools in the Dallas Independent School District (DISD). Claims that the clowns were going to shoot up the schools and such. So, the DISD Police Department and the Dallas Police Department have stepped up patrols. We were put in lockdown once today and "code blue" twice. Code blue just means do not let students out of the classrooms until instructed to do so.
                              sigpic

Comment

Maybe they ought to put the whole country on lockdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X