This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    The problem is not the calender here, it is what is on it.

The very notion of hostile work environments is PC in a mostly "at will" working system.
    So the bible verse offends someone reading it.. Then don't read it..
    The constitution gives free speech/free expression. NOT says "You are free to not see/hear something offending you.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      The constitution gives free speech/free expression. NOT says "You are free to not see/hear something offending you.

Yet calendars with models on them in bikinis are so evil they are banned.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
        Because I am writing on a *public* discussion board, I believe my words are being read by more than just you. Therefore, I have to treat it as a public (broader) piece of conversation--where, at any time, any one person -- besides you (GF) -- can jump in and make replies to my posting. Otherwise, if I were writing only and solely to you, I would send off a private message, instead.

As you and the rest of us reading this topic can plainly see (or read), garhkal did reply to some of what I wrote. If I did not intend for anyone else, other than you (GF) to return a comment, I would have addressed that specifically, but I did not, and did not expect you to take this so personally, either. jeesh!
        SG
        I'm not "taking it personally", I am wondering why in one block you quote yourself and 2 or more other people when the comments made by those 2 or more people are often only connected in the most tangential way, and often those quotes are hacked to create a context that did not exist when they were written because of it.
        It is essentially cherry picking the bits you want to answer because they fit into whatever "theme" you want to answer, not the questions or observations that are intended.
        Can you understand that?

Yes it did. I revised the preceding quote, so it flows exactly as you quoted me, and responded with an {EDIT} in return. I also mentioned slackers in my own quote, and gave an example to your remark, which I saw your comment as basic sarcasm to my earlier quote.

Anywho, my original reply was able to stand "as is" (as it was originally written without rewriting it). Seriously, I thought it was/is an outrageous example from my own POV, but it is still a very good example (in as much detail to demonstrate the emphasis of the severity of that particular situation and the massive mess of results that happened in the process). It is sadly a true story, but I left out huge chunks of details.. It would take too many pages to explain, and sounds so unbelievable because of the events that happened along the way. Yeah, I thought of writing a book about it, but names would definitely have to be changed so that the original persona doesn't get *offended*. There'd be a few lessons (morals to be told about) in that story, if ever told, too.
        How does this have any relationship to "maybe they are waiting for God to fix it?"

Obviously. The calendar had scenic pictures with Christian bible verses on each month, and some individual days, as well -- Thus, it was *offensive* to an atheist coworker with another obnoxious scoffer in the office who felt *uncomfortable* visiting that cubicle for passing on work instructions. Home away from home. If your cubicle looks more like a prison cell, it makes an unpleasant working environment for the person working in that cubicle. When a Muslim posted his wall calendar of familiar Holy sites or landmarks to Islam, nobody said one peep. So, what is the difference?
        There is no difference, If someone wanted to get upset about your one, they should have got upset at that one as well.

Apparently, (GF) you've never worked in an environment where the boss was overly PC about nearly everything, and s/he does it just to see how far s/he can go, before those higher in rank decide enough is enough. BTW, this PC person is also a staunch democrat and devout Hillary Clinton and Obama supporter. S/He also sort of resents that most of the coworkers and underlings in rank do not agree with her/his position on various political (outside of work) issues. Work-related issues must be dealt with on the work level, but external stuff was and is just fluff -- and s/he'll rant or instigate sometimes in excess during *work* hours, not just during lunch and break. Not sure if that person(s) was asked to act that way, just to (be a mole to) sift thru in discovering who was a loyal worker or not; but it did make me wonder quite often why certain things were allowed to continue as long as they did--especially with certain people who basically instigated problems within the office.
        You can't apply your crappy work experience to the rest of the world and expect people to share your experience, or even relate to it. I have had bosses who were Liberal (our liberal, not yours) do similar things, so the injection of their personal politics does not move me either.
        My point was, the only reason people can even complain about bosses in an "at will" work environment is because of PC, if the boss wants to fire you, they can, without even giving a reason. It's harder to do now -because of the PC movement.
        Now, Does PC go to far sometimes?
        Of course it does.

Problem is, the upper management really value hers/his work skills when the skills are put into productive action. As far as the PC folks swearing goes, it went on for several years--more than I remember exactly how many, to be exact, but that finally got dealt with as being "unprofessional". It should have been stated in the beginning of the job, and not tolerated at the onset. But I had too many nice bosses in that place who put up with a lot from their peers, because *teamwork* in finishing any particular job was more important than some swearing and PC nonsense that equal team member was venting off (mostly everyone felt the same way, but chose to voice their POV's on various details in a more polite manner).
        The bosses job is to make sure the job gets done, having to deal with all the personalities involved is a "perk " of the job.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I agree.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I understand the need to want someone different than past Republicians. I also don't think someone who clearly has a few screws loose is a good alternative.
            Is there anyone else on the right side of the fence who not only had the desire to oppose the establishment Republican leadership AND the resources do do so?

Comment

I've never understood why that is considered harassment.. If i have a calender (or screen saver) on my desk and someone looks and gets 'offended', why should i have to remove it.. Why can't they just not look??
              As far as I see that issue -- it's the concept of a shared workplace vs a workplace that is always used by the same person.

If it's a shared workplace (desk, cubicle) where many different colleagues sit and work when they are in the office, then I guess it would be common courtesy to respect that not everyone's going to like that Bible-inspired calendar.

An example of such workplace, is mine. We are not allowed to personalize our workspaces because many different people can use it at times I am not in the office (or working from a different location).

If you are the only one using the desk, than I see no problem personalizing it with whatever you see fit. If others feel offended because you have a Bible-inspired/Islam/pagan-inspired calendar -- their loss. They can have their own calendar in their own cubicle (or desktop).
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                If you are the only one using the desk, than I see no problem personalizing it with whatever you see fit. If others feel offended because you have a Bible-inspired/Islam/pagan-inspired calendar -- their loss. They can have their own calendar in their own cubicle (or desktop).
                Not in today's overly-PC workplace. If the guy 5 rows over from you walks by your cubicle and is offended by your cubicle's decorations/calendar/desktop image/whatever and wants them removed, the company will force their removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  Not in today's overly-PC workplace. If the guy 5 rows over from you walks by your cubicle and is offended by your cubicle's decorations/calendar/desktop image/whatever and wants them removed, the company will force their removal.
                  They can only do that if it's in their workplace rules and regulations.
                  My company has every right to ask me to take down my many colorful cards I have up to spice up my place because it's in the rules and regulations we have to sign when we are hired. It's a risk I take.

If it's not, then the reason would have to be a really good one. One offended colleague is not a good reason.

Comment

My company has every right to ask me to take down my many colorful cards I have up to spice up my place because it's in the rules and regulations we have to sign when we are hired. It's a risk I take.

If it's not, then the reason would have to be a really good one. One offended colleague is not a good reason.
                    Maybe not where you are, but it is here. I've seen numerous examples.

Comment

Is there anyone else on the right side of the fence who not only had the desire to oppose the establishment Republican leadership AND the resources do do so?
                      Yes
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Yes
                        Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                          *beep* Killmanbot unit online. Unit functioning within expected parameters. *beep*

Human, your ocular orbit is leaking. Are you malfunctioning? *beep*

Human, you must now consume sandwiches from my compartment. *beep* *unzips pants*
                          I think he will pass, i do not think he wants a sausage sandwich
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            Yet calendars with models on them in bikinis are so evil they are banned.
                            Right after Tailhook, we had dozens of guys who had them INSIDE their lockers, removing them for fear that they would be hit, if some female was on a health and comfort inspection, or contraband inspection team, and opened their locker up and saw it...

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I agree.
                            Alert the press. Me and Gatefan agree on something?!!!

Maybe not where you are, but it is here. I've seen numerous examples.
                            So have i..
                            And the part that irks me the most, is often its a one way street.. I have seen some complain about say you having country music (Or in m case 80s pop), playing but then had NO issues with other monopolizing the shop radio for rap... And if someone did complain about that rap, they would get chastized for not being 'diverse enough;..

Comment

Alert the press. Me and Gatefan agree on something?!!!
                              I think that would be a 3rd time now... THE WORLD'S GONNA END!!! SAVE YOURSELVES!!!

So have i..
                              And the part that irks me the most, is often its a one way street.. I have seen some complain about say you having country music (Or in m case 80s pop), playing but then had NO issues with other monopolizing the shop radio for rap... And if someone did complain about that rap, they would get chastized for not being 'diverse enough;..
                              Workplace also fixed that problem -- no music allowed.
                              One is allowed to listen to music but with headphones on.

Comment

Right after Tailhook, we had dozens of guys who had them INSIDE their lockers, removing them for fear that they would be hit, if some female was on a health and comfort inspection, or contraband inspection team, and opened their locker up and saw it...

And what you have inside your locker affects everyone else how??????????
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X