X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That was my point Jel.
    Given the two choices provided by SR, I chose to not slip into his little trap and choose a majority Muslim country that is not in the M-E, and where Sharia law is not the mainstream basis of the legal system.
    The only reason I did not choose Israel is because it is -routinely affected- by the repercussions of Sharia law.
    So what?
    Instead of trying to be "coy" why not just say what is on your mind instead?
    simple: I wouldn't live there (police state). but now I'm curious as to what was on your mind when you answered - the "trap" is a symmetrical scenario (notice I said "a muslim country" instead of "an arab country" to give a wider array of choices), did you somehow feel targeted?
    btw an equally interesting counterpart scenario (should've posted it) would be, choose between being a jew in Israel or being a muslim in a muslim country

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      SS?

This isn't WW 2
      it's easier to type :|

Comment

I pick Dubai btw.

I have a friend who lives there - a non-muslim in a muslim country.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

police state too

btw FH that'll be 10 lashes for not wearing your veil -_- (I'll hold the whip)

speaking of traps, I wouldn't be keen on living in Israel atm either - under Netanyahu - that said they've had good leaders

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            police state too

btw FH that'll be 10 lashes for not wearing your veil! (I'll hold the whip)
            I can assure you, not bound by those rules -- otherwise my friend would have left the country a long time ago.
            She lives there for more 5 years now, and first worked for a modelling agency. Later switched to an entertainment company which organizes events (sport, music, festivals, ...). She's living the dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I can assure you, not bound by those rules -- otherwise my friend would have left the country a long time ago.
              She lives there for more 5 years now, and first worked for a modelling agency. Later switched to an entertainment company which organizes events (sport, music, festivals, ...). She's living the dream.
              she's $$$ then. u know how it works, in capitalist/feudal systems the elites get a free pass
              either that, or she follows "the narrow path" in which case she is playing by those rules

edit>
              incidentally I forgot the most important detail - so far both countries mentioned (Indonesia, UAE) have the death penalty. for that alone not the best options. surely there must be better choices?
              Last edited by SoulReaver; 10 June 2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

incidentally I forgot the most important detail - so far both countries mentioned (Indonesia, UAE) have the death penalty. anyone here support the death penalty?
                I do not, but I have no intention to do any crime that warrants the death penalty.

Comment

but I have no intention to do any crime that warrants the death penalty.
                  good, but careful - you're wandering dangerously close to ultra-conservative territory ("if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear")

also abstaining from crime ain't enough, you also have to make sure you're not wrongfully accused of a crime. but that one's beyond your control isn't it?

Comment

simple: I wouldn't live there (police state).
                    Another trap, we were not given the choice of -not- living there, unless you are asserting that you would rather die.
                    but now I'm curious as to what was on your mind when you answered - the "trap" is a symmetrical scenario (notice I said "a muslim country" instead of "an arab country" to give a wider array of choices), did you somehow feel targeted?
                    Targeted?
                    Not at all.
                    Feel that you kept it open in order to change your parameters if someone actually thought around the Arab/Israeli dichotomy?
                    Yeah, I think you very intentionally placed your question in the middle of a discussion where the natural thought would one of those two.

btw an equally interesting counterpart scenario (should've posted it) would be, choose between being a jew in Israel or being a muslim in a muslim country
                    A better question, but it ignores the fact that if I were a Jew (and I am assuming you mean a practicing one, not just one by birth), or a Muslim (where I could be multiple "things"), I would not think the same way as I do now as I would have a far different set of experiences to draw from.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

she's $$$ then. u know how it works, in capitalist/feudal systems the elites get a free pass
                      either that, or she follows "the narrow path" in which case she is playing by those rules
                      The Elite only get a free pass if the people do not, or cannot question it.
                      edit>
                      incidentally I forgot the most important detail - so far both countries mentioned (Indonesia, UAE) have the death penalty. for that alone not the best options. surely there must be better choices?
                      Most places with a large religious populations have the death penalty, what is your point?
                      sigpic

Comment

Another trap, we were not given the choice of -not- living there, unless you are asserting that you would rather die.
                        no sh that would sort of defeat the purpose of the trap question wouldn't it
                        I did say "hypothetical". this is a sci-fi forum after all :|
                        Targeted?
                        Not at all.
                        Feel that you kept it open in order to change your parameters if someone actually thought around the Arab/Israeli dichotomy?
                        Yeah, I think you very intentionally placed your question in the middle of a discussion where the natural thought would one of those two.
                        tbh I hesitated between this thread & "Smiley Count to 22,222", in the end I opted for this one
                        A better question, but it ignores the fact that if I were a Jew (and I am assuming you mean a practicing one, not just one by birth), or a Muslim (where I could be multiple "things"), I would not think the same way as I do now as I would have a far different set of experiences to draw from.
                        actually it hinges on that fact: currently you belong to neither of those camps which gives you an outside (and theoretically impartial) view on both, so I ask if you were about to be somehow plopped into a new life, new home etc. and you only had those 2 choices, right now, as the person you are now, which would you choose?
                        ps. applies to the 1st scenario & the 2nd one, if you wish
                        The Elite only get a free pass if the people do not, or cannot question it.
                        no contest there
                        Most places with a large religious populations have the death penalty, what is your point?
                        I'm against the death penalty

Comment

All links to the same obscure video of an extremist group of a handful of people celebrating at a wedding. In private.

Can you find anything actually equivalent to the Palestinian celebration? Public, unashamed, with cheering crowds of hundreds and thousands, handing out candy and cookies, setting off fireworks? An earnest grassroot mass celebration of a massacre committed by one of their own? You can't.

Better yet, your Google search has plenty of links to the condemnation of the aforementioned handful of extremists by the Israeli government and the Israeli mainstream society in general. Can you find me an official Palestinian condemnation of yesterday's mass celebrations? Nope. It's just as impossible as finding a Palestinian peace movement.

It's a pretty scary thing to admit to yourself, I'll grant you that, but glorification of mass murder is part and parcel of Palestinian mainstream. It's part of their culture, what there is of one.

P.S. And music videos glorifying the mass murderers as heroic martyrs.

P.P.S. The most interesting thing about the Palestinian mass celebrations of the massacre is that you can find virtually no mentions of them in the mainstream media except for Ban Ki-Moon's statement. Youtube and Facebook are awash with videos, and one couldn't miss the fireworks in Hebron and Gaza except on purpose. But not a single news report about the attack mentions Palestinian celebrations.
                          Last edited by Womble; 10 June 2016, 03:36 AM.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

no sh that would sort of defeat the purpose of the trap question wouldn't it
                            I did say "hypothetical". this is a sci-fi forum after all :|
                            Well, this part of it isn't, there is just a fair bit of "geeky knowledge" you can assume we all have in the background, but this place tend to be at least somewhat serious.
                            tbh I hesitated between this thread & "Smiley Count to 22,222", in the end I opted for this one
                            Lies!!!
                            [quote]
                            actually it hinges on that fact: currently you belong to neither of those camps which gives you an outside (and theoretically impartial) view on both, so I ask if you were about to be somehow plopped into a new life, new home etc. and you only had those 2 choices, right now, as the person you are now, which would you choose?
                            ps. applies to the 1st scenario & the 2nd one.
                            [quote]
                            That is a different question dude, you have altered the whole parameters of what is going on!!
                            if you wish no contest there I'm against the death penalty
                            So am I.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, this part of it isn't, there is just a fair bit of "geeky knowledge" you can assume we all have in the background, but this place tend to be at least somewhat serious.
                              my question didn't involve phasers or grey men, it was serious

That is a different question dude, you have altered the whole parameters of what is going on!!
                              correction:I clarified & elaborated upon the scenario

also my scenario, my parameters, my rules

So am I.
                              good. still wanna live in Indonesia?

Comment

I'm not in the mood to argue.

You believe you're right, and I believe I'm right. And we both are wrong on so many levels. You want to sit on your high horse, be my guest. I'll be down here on the ground, hoping that some day there will be people who will figure out that violence and hatred won't get them anywhere. That day will be a great day, but it will not be in my lifetime.
                                You have the concept right, but a little off in the details. It would indeed be a great day if all of the fighting in that part of the world would stop, but not only won't it be in your lifetime, but unless somebody glasses the region, it won't happen ever, due to the religious significance of the region.

Comment

Working...
                                X