This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
    ....breasts in a jumpsuit.....but once they gave her a bit real Star Fleet training, a uniform and turned her characater into something a bit deeper...
    Talk about breasts in a jumpsuit, er catsuit? That would be Jeri Ryan; although she was given all that info and skills due to her Borg past.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

True....but at least Jeri Ryan's character started off with a point....both within the show in general and as a member of the crew...she participated......and she did that cool hair bun thing with no needles.....borg know how at it's finest...hehe

Troi.....just silly at first...and not the good silly.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
        Troi.....just silly at first...and not the good silly.
        You must mean pathetic silly....Barbarella silly. No role model there!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
          Hi. It's me, O-Ra the annoying.

anyway, i was thinking during the feminist chat ... who is your favorite female character in a TV show, Drama, Comedy, Movie, or Sitcom? or your favorite actress. she should be based on her influence over men, her power, be it physical or mental, her knowledge and her respect for her self.

here's mine.

TV Drama: Jennifer Garner, ALIAS. cool, funny, influential, must have a vault of wigs ... respect .. except for the Vaughn escapade, what the heck is wrong with Syd. huh???

TV Comedy(Sitcom): definatly Debra on Everybody loves Raymond. she is sooo cool. she's short but she's spunky and tough. my mom describes her when she shouts at raymond as an "angry fairy". Some how, that works.

TV Show (scifi) Amanda Tapping (Carter) and Galyn Gorg (Kendra in Thor's Hammer). Strong, decisive, mental (espceially Kendra), infuelntial and both have respect for themselves.

Movie: (Actress) I dunno ... Angelina Jolie? Jennifer Garner? something between those two. Jolie is strong, (kinda), mental, influencial .. kinda scary, In the characters she plays mostly. in real life, she may be, i dunno.
          Garner ... well, she's Alias, that's enough.

is anybody going to see Elektra?
          Movies: Sigourney Weaver, in almost anything she's done; she's sexy, seductive, articulate, intelligent, and very classy. I loved her in Galaxy Quest, Ice Storm, Dave, Alien, Aliens, and Tadpole. Great actress!

Jody Foster: Original Freaky Friday, Taxi Driver, Silence of the Lambs, Little Man Tate, The Accused, and Contact.

Geena Davis: Thelma and Louise and Long Kiss Goodbye and Accidental Tourist

Katherine O'Hara: the red haired chick, the mom, from Bettlegeuse and Home Alone

Alice Krige, The Borg Queen, First Contact and an episode of Voyager

Cate Blanchette, Galadriel, from LOR

Kirsten Dunst, from Interview w/ a Vampire and Spider-man

TV:

Gillian Anderson, Scully, from X-files

Amanda Tapping, Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, Ph.D.

Anna-Louise Plowman, Dr. Sarah Gardner/Osiris

Elizabeth Roehm, the blond chick (Assist DA) from Law and Order

Gates McFadden, Commander Beverly Crusher, M.D.

Kate Mulgrew, Captain Katheryn Janeway

Jeri Ryan, Seven of Nine
          Last edited by LordAnubis; 30 December 2004, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I have a lot of favorite female characters, but I'm afraid I can't really rank them. So I'm grouping them by show.

Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1)- smartest of all listed, beautiful, kicks ass. perfection in a gal.
            Janet Fraiser (Stargate SG-1)- she was just awesome. nuff said.
            Dana Scully (The X-Files)- intellectual scientist as well.
            Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls)- spazzy, spazzy, spazzy, but fun. and with Luke, can do no wrong.
            Sydney Bristow (Alias)- tough and sassy, but i don't respect much else than the kickass factor.
            Irina Derevko (Alias)- really tough and really sassy. almost puts the kid to shame. much smarter than the daughter.
            Amy Gardner (The West Wing)- if I were to go to law school and become a lobbyist on Capitol Hill, I'd love to be as forceful, tough, and whip smart as this chick. but alas, I'm a scientist who loves to listen to politics instead of participate in it.
            CJ Cregg (The West Wing)- formidable press secretary with acting prowess to boot. the only time i've ever cried watching a TV show was when they killed off her secret service agent BF.
            Max Guevara (Dark Angel)- season one was freakin' awesome. and she was a great gal.
            Michelle Dressler (24)- awesome agent, great wife to Tony Almeida, professional, smart, sacrificing, intelligent, tough, all around great gal.
            Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager)- she was captain. she was female. and when i was in elementary school, she was my inspiration to pursue space science. that inspiration carried me pretty far, and i will always respect that.

And in books/movies:

Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway (Contact)- The ultimate role model for me. And the first time I heard of the university I'm attending now was when I read Contact. That book changed my life. Thank you, Carl Sagan, for that book. And Jodie Foster totally nailed the movie.

Comment

One of my favourite female TV characters has to be Susan Ivanova from Babylon 5. I think she was the first female TV character that ever really made an impression on me. Other than that there's Janet Fraiser, Sam Carter...and I really can't think of more now but I'm sure there's a few.

Luce xxx

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                One of my favourite female TV characters has to be Susan Ivanova from Babylon 5. I think she was the first female TV character that ever really made an impression on me.
                You beat me to it, Lucylou.

Ivanova could cry and scream and rant and get embarrased and not for one moment be considered weak or "girly".

The women of B5 were all pretty believable with the exception, perhaps of poor Lockley. Her horrible season one monologues in a fifth season setting was baaad. But even she had her great moments.

I also really liked Jadzia Dax and Kira Nerise from DS-9.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Farscape: Aeryn Sun
                  B5: Susan Ivoniva
                  DS9: Jadzia Dax
                  Angel: Fred Burkle
                  Buffy: Drusilla
                  Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Stargate SG-1: Samantha Carter
                    Farscape: Chiana
                    Babylon 5: Susan Ivanova
                    X-Files: Dana Scully

Comment

Farscape- Aeryn Sun/Claudia Black
                      X Files - Dana Scully/Gillian Anderson
                      Babylon 5 - Susan Ivanova/ forgot the actress name...
                      Alias- i really don't like Syd/J. Garner (but i do like Michael Vartan's character and MV himself)

Comment

Actually, on Alias, I prefer Syd's mom, Irina/Lena Olin. She's just more ... smarter.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by valaCB
                          Farscape- Aeryn Sun/Claudia Black
                          X Files - Dana Scully/Gillian Anderson
                          Babylon 5 - Susan Ivanova/ forgot the actress name...
                          Alias- i really don't like Syd/J. Garner (but i do like Michael Vartan's character and MV himself)
                          Claudia Christian played Ivanova.

Comment

Ok, I'm showing my age here... when I was a little bit younger, my sister and I were huge fans of Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter)... she was the most beautiful woman we had ever seen on television and man, didn't she cut a fine figure in that suit waving her truth lasso. I still don't think there are too many women who can flash a smile like she did.

When we got past the Wonder Woman phase, we were into Buck Rogers and Colonel Deering (Erin Gray) became female role model No. 2. She was a pretty cool military type as well.
                            I remember watching the old Charlie's Angels TV show and some of us would talk about who our favourite angel was. I think Jacquelin Smith was mine.

In the eighties... I got quite fond of Angela Lansbury from Murder She Wrote... the smart, maternal type...

Ivanova's very likeable but Marcus (Jason Carter) was pretty hot... (OK I know I'm cheating)

I didn't mind Jadzia Dax (Terry Farell), Dr Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden) or Max (Jessica Alba) -- all pretty cool ladies in their own way.

I feel old when I read your lists, and nostalgic thinking about my favourite girly TV characters.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                              Actually, on Alias, I prefer Syd's mom, Irina/Lena Olin. She's just more ... smarter.
                              Ho yeah!!! but she was only in season 2

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                                Claudia Christian played Ivanova.
                                Thank you. another wonderful Claudia
                                she was so great!!! love Ivanova's sense of humor...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X