Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you're wrong for believing what you believe.

Another person's beliefs are no concern of my own.

What I have a problem with, is that you're puporting your beliefs as the only truth for everyone- including me. And that, is unacceptable.

I might seem a bit arrogant in that I say things are a certain way, and that is the only way it can be. But it is for these kinds of things that I speak of logic and truth. Not belief.

Anything in the ball park of religion or beliefs is on a strictly personal basis, and cannot be forced down another's perverbial throat.

Comment

Touching on any living religion is a major taboo. Your gonna piss off a lot of folks if you incorporate their beliefs into any kind of fiction. Imagine Jerry Falwell's wrath if he didn't like an episode that included Christianity? Or Osama bin Laden if he didn't like an episode including Islamic beliefs and themes?

About the only faith I can see that would have sufficient sense of humor would be the Buddhists... and then only the ones who take the "high" road and don't believe the Buddha to be a divine being. Those who take the "low" road and deify the Buddha might get pissed... but there aren't many of them.

Take a guess at which of the two schools of Buddhism I tend to agree with!

Comment

*scratches head*

Maybe the "high" road?

Which form of Buddhism, though? Chinese or Japanese

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
          Jesus didn't believe in shoving God into people's faces, nor should we....and im damn sure Aschen doesnt like being told hes wrong. Now i can see this is going to end in arguments.
          (Yea, but we can't both be right either....someone out there has to be wrong eventually!!!....)
          But OK....fine. I see your point. I really didn't mean to say it like that. I'm sorry, Aschen.
          Last edited by puddlejumper747; 12 January 2005, 01:14 PM.
          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

And in the end, does it matter who is right? really?

All that matters is that we lead a good life in our own way and are happy with it.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

No problem. If you're going to claim to follow "the word of God," you might might as well read it.

There's this biiiig part in there about tolerance and understanding.

It annoys me when I know more about christianity than a lot of christians.

Then again, I've studied most religions... It's interesting to see how man relates himself to what is beyond his own mortal coil- if anything.

Comment

I think an interesting religion to incorperate into StarGate or Atlantis (preferably StarGate SG1 ) would be the Zoroastrian religion, the fire worshippers? They already had Sokar and Satan with the sweat and fire and stuff but I'd like to see more ancient African religions besides Christianity and the Egyptian religions. There could be a Goa'uld who himself worships fire, and his followers worship him as fire, or something like that. The Roman and Greek and Pheonician gods have been used too often. Maybe a derivitave of the Running of the Bulls custom is in order? Only, even more dangerous? Maybe?

I saw someone talking about Islam somewhere on this thread. I think we already covered that, quite pathetically, I might add, in Emancipation of course with the Abydonians. Islam is not well studied by the StarGate writers, and far too biased and caricatured, so for the sake of not offendeing those cultures, they probably shouldn't cover them.

Of course, I wouldnt mind a good laugh at the whole cheesy cover issue.
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

You guys are right. We can't make everyone believe the same thing and each is entitled to his oppinion. But isn't that the same thing as when Aschen stated that God didn't exist?
                  Originally posted by aschen
                  Why would I waste my breath talking to someone who isn't there?
                  I'm stating that He does exist. BTW Aschen, do you believe in heaven?
                  I guess my question for whoever reads this thread is, do you know where you're going in the end? where you're going to spend eternity? (which may be here sooner than you think ) That, to me, is important.
                  Once again, these are MY oppinions. You have the right to disagree.

-Jules-

*goes to pray for Aschen*

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                  Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                    I think an interesting religion to incorperate into StarGate or Atlantis (preferably StarGate SG1 ) would be the Zoroastrian religion, the fire worshippers? They already had Sokar and Satan with the sweat and fire and stuff but I'd like to see more ancient African religions besides Christianity and the Egyptian religions. There could be a Goa'uld who himself worships fire, and his followers worship him as fire, or something like that. The Roman and Greek and Pheonician gods have been used too often. Maybe a derivitave of the Running of the Bulls custom is in order? Only, even more dangerous? Maybe?

I saw someone talking about Islam somewhere on this thread. I think we already covered that, quite pathetically, I might add, in Emancipation of course with the Abydonians. Islam is not well studied by the StarGate writers, and far too biased and caricatured, so for the sake of not offendeing those cultures, they probably shouldn't cover them.

Of course, I wouldnt mind a good laugh at the whole cheesy cover issue.
                    Bin Laden = Goa'uld? J/K

I think an African religion story might be kind of interesting. What else haven't they covered?

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                    Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                      (Yea, but we can't both be right either....someone out there has to be wrong eventually!!!....)

Why? And I ask that seriously (though I think this entire thread is likely to do more harm than good). Why isn't it possible that:

1. The Supreme Deity (or Deities) appears to each of us in the manner that is best for us? What works for us as a Christian is not what works best for someone who is more inclined toward Judaism. Or Buddhism.

2. More importantly: maybe God is not just a jumped-up human being, with the same ego, vanity, conceit, insecurity and need for constant praise that we have. Maybe God is above this. And maybe God is more interested in substance than form. Maybe He/She/It/They don't care what name you use, what words you utter, what rituals you follow; maybe all that matters is the life you lead. And if you do good, and treat your fellow humans well, and this world well, and the "dumb beasts" well, that's all you need, even if you say you don't believe in a God, because it's what's in your heart and in your life that counts.

All faiths, including polytheistic ones, tend to have good values at their core. And very similar values. Most religions, however, are ruined by their followers, who are often intolerent, small-minded, petty and willing to twist those values to suit their own desires. The problem is, these same people still consider themselves to be the true followers of their particular faith, even though they are really espousing values that are contrary to the core teachings of their faith. An example: there is a large percentage of Evangelical Christians in this county (an early example was Reagan's SEcretary of HEW) who don't think that we should help the poor or the mentally or physically handicapped, because the fact that they are poor or disabled is a punishment from God for unworthiness--even if we are talking about children. Reagan's HEW Secretary wanted to stop special education to disabled children on this basis, and I've recently seen more stuff like this.

Now, was this *Christ's* feeling toward the poor, the lame, the sick, the halt, the disabled? Heck, no. Quite the opposite; remember the eye of the needle. Yet, these people will insist they are the only one's walking the true path.

Religion is fine when it provides a support system for its followers; not so good when it gives cause to be intolerant of others and instills feelings of righteousness and superiority. Since dogmatic religions came to the fore, they have been one of primary causes for war (not the only one, of course). People today need to re-assess what *they* have done to their own religions.

J.
                      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                        The Supreme Deity appears to each of us in the manner that is best for us?
                        Well, not really....because God is, by His very nature, constant, immutable, unchanging, reality, and truth. He is the very essence of existence itself. (BTW, that's why Hell....being eternally separated from Him....is such a horrible state of existence.) He doesn't change Himself in order to correspond with our own individual view of Him....He just is. But we also know that He willingly humbled Himself and came down to Earth as one of us, in order to redeem His creation from Original Sin and to establish His one universal church to guide it until the end of time. He didn't say that we couldn't follow Him however we wanted to (because we do have free will)....but He did ask us to follow the path which He had already established for us. That's not to say that other religions are really wrong....maybe "incomplete" would be a better term....but does that kinda make sense???
                        Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                        Maybe God is above this. And maybe God is more interested in substance than form. Maybe He/She/It/They don't care what name you use, what words you utter, what rituals you follow; maybe all that matters is the life you lead.
                        Yeahhh....this is a tougher one. You're close. Let me see....God judges each one of us subjectively. He judges us based on how we have lived our lives in accordance with His natural law (which does still exist in His Church), the individual amount of responsibility which we hold to ourselves for certain actions, and whether or not we really want to accept Him in our hearts. But because God is truth, anyone who seriously accepts truth into their lives is really accepting a part of God into their lives....whether they realize it or not. You don't have to be a Christian in order to be redeemed....(and anyone who is redeemed is done so, at least indirectly, through accepting God/Christ/Truth)....but that's just what God has set up for us as the safest and most direct path to Him.
                        Last edited by puddlejumper747; 13 January 2005, 06:23 PM.
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Because that'd be hypocritical.

The entire idea of Satan is derived from Lucifer, the "Morning Star."

If one was to worship Satan, then they would have to be in direct conflict with "God." I believe in neither "God" nor "Satan."

I only have Lucifer's picture in my signature, because like a well craft character in a fictional story, I can relate and aspire to be like him.
                          First of all, your signature words seem to describe ethnic cleansing rather than what ever your'e really saying.

Second, why don't you belive in god? Is it so horrible to imagine a being more powerful than you that is in total control of your birth, life, and destiny? I find it easy.

I belive that people who say that they don't believe in god are usually trying to make up for something in thier life. They want to do whatever they want with their life and that's not always a good thing.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Darkquee1,

Seriously. Good, very, very, good.

I dont know what else to say, except I can't imagine a better argument. ANd i wholeheatredly agree with you.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm leaving this thread. This is getting too preachy for my tastes, and I've abandoned preaching a long time ago. Have fun guys! :-)

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                              it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                              It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                              And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

[Btw, the picture in my signature is Lucifer himself. He is, according to the christian bible, the first heretic and dissident. AKA- my kinda guy.]

You do know that Lucifer believes in God?

SueS

Comment

Working...
                                X